D-related/medical-information-geek treasure trove

It's amazing what fifteen years in technical abstracting and indexing, and searching for free technical information on-line, can do for you. (A critical and skeptical eye for details doesn't hurt any, either.)

This morning, my "Diabetes Central" RSS feed led me to a Reuters Health article suggesting that diabetes was related to loss of ankle function, regardless of whether or not diabetic neuropathy was involved. As someone who has had chronic ankle issues all her life, this merited a further look -- so I Googled the source mentioned at the bottom of the article, and ended up at BioMed Central's (BMC) BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders Journal's main page -- with an open-access link to the original article.

I have a bit of skepticism about completely open-access journals, even if they say they are peer-reviewed: I've seen a number of them with very skewed editorial policies regarding what will and will not be published. Then again, once you look beyond the skew, you can find hidden treasures -- or at the very least, themes and suggestions for further research. And indeed, I do have questions about the subject selection used in the particular research. However, I've had a chance to go pawing through the entire BioMed Central Web site, and I'm pretty impressed. Conflicts of interest are mentioned at the outset, pre-publication papers are marked as "provisional", and I don't need to pay for anything. Which suggests this site is very much on-the-level. Wow... I'm an information junkie sitting in the middle of an incredible fix...

If you have any interest in pawing through some of the actual research papers behind the one-page articles out of Reuters Health (syndicated to Health Central and Yahoo!), you might want to look at some of the following journals:

If you'd rather take a look at all the journal titles by subject, go here instead: http://www.biomedcentral.com/browse/bysubject/

A couple of the article titles I've been looking at this afternoon (in greater or lesser detail) include:

Without going into any great depth, I see about a dozen articles from these four titles that intrigue me enough to at least read the abstracts...

Call me the kid in the sugar-free, fat-free, no-artificial-anything candy shop.