Daily Insulin Pumpers / CGMS kit

I just started using an insulin pump and a few months before that a CGMS. My diabetes kit used to be just a stash of needles (for the insulin pens), test strips, alcohol swabs, lancets, lancing device, batteries for glucomter, and a glucometer. I have a stash in my car, in my wife's car, and my computer bag and my camera bag. If I was traveling some distance I would keep my insulin pens and a spares in a travel pouch.

Now with the pump and CGMS, I need to pack a spare infusion set, infusion set insertion device, insulin cartridge, test strips, alcohol swabs, lancets, lancing device, batteries for insulin pump, batteries for glucometer, glucometer, glucogon kit, and CGMS sensors and CGMS charging cable. Whew!

This no longer fits in the glove compartment of my car and I'm worried it won't fit in my computer bag or camera bag.

I found these stylish looking bags from Adorn Designs but they are focused on carrying diabetes supplies without much thought to anything else.

What a super cool company!

I use this because its easy to strap/unstrap to my belt as needed:
www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-Escape-Evasion-Drop-Pouch/dp/B000X03D3I

Thinking about one of these for the extra pockets:
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/BDU-Mini-Pocket-Pack,10,122.htm

I find the military style gear is usually very versatile for packing medical supplies along with water resistance. As well as being more manly, strapping to your belt, than carrying a handbag around. Of course I carry an easily compressed dry sack in case of serious weather (http://www.seatosummit.com/products/cat/3). Just my 2 cents.

Outside of wearing cargo pants I see no practical solution to this.

I don’t carry anything other than a bunch of skittles, meter, strips, lancet. That is IT. I use a fanny pack and if anyone smirks, I really don’t care. :slight_smile: I have a MM pump and Enlite.

If I go on a real trip (not just an hour or two away), then of course I have to take the kitchen sink, sort of like what was described in the OP.

I work in a corporate setting. I’m a consultant. I need to look professional all the time. Fanny pack just won’t work for me.

This look (without or without the tie). I am currently just leaving it all in the car. I only take my insulin pump meter with me. Nothing else. I have no space in my pant for kit supplies one I take my iPhone, keys and wallet.

You might want to consider getting something like this
Banting Wallet

Already have something like that that hold the insulin pump meter, test strips, alcohol wipes, and lancing device. That’s pretty much my kit. I forgot to mention my pants pocket has to make space for the CGMS receiver as well.

Alt

I would suggest placing your pump and CGM on your belt on opposite sides. Leave the meter, or bring in a computer bag along with your notepad, pens, etc.

I worked as a consultant for about a year in a secure Gov’t agency; was always seen as professional.

Khurt, I hope you aren’t using alcohol on your fingertips. It’s not necessary, and furthermore the alcohol will dry out your skin. Oh, and one more thing–alcohol wiped across a finger for a few seconds is ineffective. If you are a germaphobe, then keep on doing it and ignore my advice. :slight_smile:

I am not a germaphobe. But … the CDE insisted I do it to remove contaminants before a test. I don’t always the opportunity to go wash my hands.

Your CDE is being “politically correct”. Newbies tend to use alcohol until their fingers dry out; then they realize the mistake they are making by wasting alcohol wipes on their fingers. A quick wipe does little good anyway, if germ reduction count is the objective. You have more germs in your mouth. Save your fingertips, my friend.

I’m with @phoenixbound on this one.

If I can’t wash, I like to find a spot on the side of my fingers, especially the pinkie or ring finger of either hand that have not been “contaminated” by food or drink. Remember that an alcohol swab just loosens the dirt and contaminants, you still have to wash, rinse and dry your hands. A swab doesn’t magically remove the bad stuff.

1 Like

Hope this isn’t taken the wrong way, but I’ve always felt that folks in the medical community … for some reason especially nurses? … seem to have a perhaps occupationally derived paranoia about infection or other “contaminants”.

I recall being both confused and amused when my CDE mentioned that one of the big pluses for the ACCU-CHEK insulin pumps from her perspective was that ACCU-CHEK never sent out a refurbished pump as a warranty exchange. You always got a new pump. My impression was that she seemed to think this kept her one step further removed from contact with potential cooties of death. :astonished: :no_mouth:

A few months after that conversation, I did an exchange of my Medtronic Paradigm 723 pump under their temp basal/bolus “wrap around” recall. So what did they send me? Yep. A new & ostensibly cootie free pump. Be still my beating heart.

May &deity; continue to save and preserve me from the cooties of death. :fearful: :smirk:

I guarantee that while a nurse may observe proper standards of care when on the job, they are NOT paranoid about germs in their personal life. I’m married to a non-germaphobe nurse who, when at work is super vigilant to ensure that no one contaminates a sterile field in the OR, but has no compunctions to change lancets more than once in a blue moon. Or make that once in 5 blue moons. :slight_smile:

@Khurt_Williams – hope you don’t mind that your post made me laugh, but it was a laugh of familiarity. I was on MDI for a long time before switching to a pump 2 1/2 years ago, and the shock of how much more junk I was going to have to carry around almost put me off the whole idea. Not just the stuff you have to take along, but the amount of stuff you have in your supplies cabinet quickly gets out of control.

For some kind of carry-all, you might try a mountaineering outfitter store. Overland Equipment makes a great shoulder bag for carrying a few items on a day hike. It has a very functional look and works perfectly for my glucometer, strips and the other extras I need to carry around.

1 Like

I have a pump and cgm, etc. I went to Target travel section and got an over the shoulder bag for travel as when I visit family for a week, I take super extra supplies “just in case.” None of the “made for diabetes” bags have ever been large enough for me. And I do prefer the dedicated bag for diabetes stuff. The Adorn one noted in your first posting says it is 12 x 15" diameter yet all the photos make it look much bigger. A 12x15 would be worthless for me.
For every day, I would think a nice “man purse” shoulder bag would work for guys. Or a small messenger bag. It can be left at desk for meetings and you don’t really have to take it to lunch if you are on a pump. IMHO.

Hi @Khurt_Williams,

If you want to keep your pump as low profile as possible and only need to carry your CGM (assuming Dex here but could well be wrong :slight_smile: ) in your pocket, the take a look at the FlipBelt. I have used it daily for over a year now and it still retains it’s elasticity, is washable and keeps my pump right where I put it nice and snug for the duration of the day. I picked mine up on Amazon for about $28. They do have different sizes available. It is intended for use by runners, but it hides my tubing and secures my pump perfectly. The nice thing is that it keeps such a low profile even under dress shirts (or t-shirts). I find that if I want my pump to be essentially “invisible” then I can just rotate the belt so that the pump is at the small of my back.
This might not be a great option for you if you are constantly having to issue commands to the pump, but even for evenings at home or your days off, I would highly recommend it. Sleeping with it on is very comfortable as well.

Hope this helps.

@Mario1, how does the FlipBelt do in terms of making your skin hot underneath wear it rides? I realize the material itself is wicking, but doesn’t it still make you a bit sweaty underneath?

FWIW, here is the link to FlipBelt

Wow–thanks Mario! I’ve been looking for something exactly like this, especially for sleeping. I’ve been relying on t-shirts with pockets, but I’m always waking up with my pump dangling off the bed because it doesn’t stay put when I roll over. Something that would also work for bike riding and just everyday use is even more ideal.

Older guy in my choir said something about the shoulder bag I use. “What do you carry in there, your makeup?” “No,” I answered. My pancreas." Not strictly accurate, of course, but close enough. I think I won the exchange.

2 Likes