Dana RS Pump w 2-way Bluetooth connectivity available in Europe and Asia

DiabetesMine reported today about a new pump developed by SOOIL which will allow for two-way communication between the pump and smartphone apps. It will be available outside the US in the coming weeks, and expected to be filed with the FDA next year.

3 Likes

I think it would be nice to have a Loop-capable pump with a warranty. I also think it’s interesting that the Dana-RS pump company is cooperating with the do-it-yourself community. This makes a stark contrast with our home-grown (US) pump companies that just want to fight the grass-roots “we are not waiting” movement.

4 Likes

Dana R, which has been on the European market (e.g. in Sweden since March 2011) is already able to communicate with the phone. AndroidAPS is built only for this pump since nothing inbetween is needed. The price of the pump is 50% lower than for a Veo.
Unfortunately, Medtronic and Omnipod are not giving a fair chance to the small players.

1 Like

What do you mean by small players?

Tandem and the company producing Dana pumps are relatively small players on the market. Medtronic is totally dominating it.

Ah, I understand. Thanks for clarifying

Just curious how this is Medtronic and Omnipod’s problem.

I saw this yesterday and was going to post it myself. Great news for me! My current (NHS-funded) Vibe is out of warranty at the end of October. I already spoke to the Dana rep in the UK and apparently they are an NHS Scotland-approved supplier. I see my consultant (Endo) in October and plan to ask for the Dana RS.

The Dana RS is designed to be fully controllable from an Android device (with iOS coming soon). There is already a version of OpenAPS called Android APS that has been written to run on an Android phone using a previous version of the Dana pump + Dexcom G5. People are looping with it right now! This means being able to run a closed loop system with an in-warranty pump using for hardware only Dexcom G5 + Dana R + Android phone. No Riley links in a Tic-Tac box. No ancient and knackered 522’s.

I am EXCITED!!!

6 Likes

Will be be able to tailor it much, you think? One of my issues with this idea is the amount of work that seems inevitable to tailor the algorithms to individuals.

Now im planning a trip to Korea…

4 Likes

Better pack your anti missile defence system!

4 Likes

I am hoping to go down this route. OpenAPS and its Android adapted version AndroidAPS seems to involve a significant amount of work to set up and I am anticipating a big learning curve. Users do say that once you get it going it works really well. From what I understand (not yet a user), OpenAPS is more user-configurable than the 670G software.

1 Like

When we set up Loop, I was worried about the process, but the directions were very well written and it went very smoothly - easier than I expected, although requiring focus and patience. The establishing of Caleb’s settings I found much more challenging. There is no guide for this and everyone is different. Initially we just went with his regular settings and I was lulled into a false sense of security bc on the first night he had a perfect overnight graph even after eating pizza. But beyond that things went a little haywire while I tried to establish his settings.

Add on top of that illness, medication that caused insulin resistance, overnight field trips, disconnecting for dance competitions – it got a little ugly at times.

But, as I heard so many others say, once we got things figured out (and it’s not necessarily all figured out bc things are not perfect although they are much better) Caleb’s bg management has required so much less attention from us, it was worth the ugliness we went through.

3 Likes

I see. So, there’s a bit of a learning curve associated with complex settings. And, if I wanted to reprogram something (@Tim35), the source code is written in javascript ? I may need to start looking at this now in order to be ready for it. I am expecting to require some taylorization. I am most surprised that different individuals are able to start from the same base algorithm and function ok without reprogramming. I’ll plan for the worst and hope for the best. Cautiously optimistic.

1 Like

I changed absolutely nothing regarding algorithms or javascript or anything technical like that. With all that stuff, I just followed the step by step directions - type this, click that, download the other, etc. The settings I’m referring to are all the settings we as pumpers are used to - IC ratio, correction factor, basals, DIA. Those things took time to re-establish bc Loop works differently than what we were used to with regular pumping. It’s a whole new way to think about things. Physically making those changes in the app is easy to do, determining the settings is the tricky part that takes trial and error. We made that more complicated by trying to do it through extenuating circumstances like illness.

Or maybe I’m not understanding what you mean by reprogram?

2 Likes

Yea, that’s a really good sign. I’m glad to have that information.
I believe that I will require some customization if I can figure it out, but we shall see. LOL, I do some things that produce super duper chaotic data, so I may not be able to account for it if I try. But, I may try.

Can you provide an example? Maybe I can help determine for sure what kind of customization you may need. Or am I completely lost at what you’re getting at because this extends far beyond my depth of knowledge, so much so I can’t even recognize that it does. :slight_smile:

It can be tailored. I could tweak how it operates via direct changes to its linux commands or via custom cron jobs. It is a lot to learn, especially as I non-linux layman. I read the gitter channel constantly for insights and help. https://gitter.im/nightscout/intend-to-bolus. That said, I don’t see that tailoring is really needed. The native openaps setup works very well and most of my tweaks were attempts to address my poor pump comms (an old 515 pump with a broken or deficient antenna).

1 Like

Not exactly sure what customizations you have in mind, but I am pretty sure you’d find ways to do what you want in either OpenAPS, AndroidAPS or Loop. I used to be an enthusiastic manual “sugar surfer,” employing all kinds of “clever” techniques to achieve relatively tight control, and I thought no algorithm could ever beat me. I was wrong :slight_smile:

I should emphasize, however, that nothing is just given - It does take some time and motivation to setup one of these systems, and then to set own parameters correctly, and (most importantly) to understand and learn how to make best use of the system. The results are rewarding.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info, everybody. I’m glad to hear that the algorithm is working so well. I would like to look at it, just out of curiosity, to see what it is. Of course, I probably shouldn’t waste anybody’s time until I try it and encounter a specific issue. But, its nice to know that the option is out there, to read and re-write parts, if needed. I believe that is the most valuable part of an open source solution.