Dancing Problems

I’ve never had problems with my feet (PTL!) even though I’ve been a dancer since I was 6. Here lately I have noticed what appears to be a flat blister on my toe (from dancing in close toe shoes) that actually burns! I’m looking for some advice on how to properly care for this, I’m scheduled to help with a class this week and will be wearing open toe shoes if I do so.

I used to marathon inline skate race and get various blisters on my feet. Depending on blister position, different products found at the local drug store would soothe and help faster healing. Look at the product section that has second skin. Some of the pads are medicated and instantly feel great, while others are just a protective layer. Some of the pads are just too thick to wear in certain areas of the feet. You may have to try a few different ones to see what works best for your application.

May I ask what specific product you used to “soothe and help faster healing”? That sounds great right about now!

I ran out of these a while back but believe they were 2nd Skin Blister Pads from Spenco. I also used Skin Shield Liquid Bandage. The 2nd Skin felt heavenly moment it was applied, however, if pad is aggressively continuously rubbed by shoe, boot, etc. during extensive exercise, pad will rub off. This is a great recovery solution, but not great for continued abuse around blistered area during heavy activity.

The Skin Shield dries in about 30 seconds and is really like a tough flexible plastic so can then really be abused and keeps skin firmly sealed from additional damage. The problem with Skin Shield is that it stings like hell when applied so if using that dab only very little on at a time.

I have seen those in the corner drugstores, do those burn/sting when you peel them off? Sounds like a good idea unless it sticks heavily to the already painful area.

No 2nd skin does not burn/sting when you peel off, but you wear several days and the skin has healed or mostly healed by the time you remove. Skin Shield eventually scales off by itself once the skin under the blister has repaired, but the initial sting during application is pretty brutal. Skin Shield is cheap and not noticeable to anyone but you while 2nd skin is not exactly inexpensive and as visible as a band-aid. Both will stay on during shower/bath.

Consider getting new shoes. The fit might be just off. Your feet can change in size and width. My size increased when I was 30. Also, when I hike or run, my shoes are 1/2 size larger to help deal with going downhill. Not sure how this applies to dancing.

My maternal Grandmother was always adamant that we bought high quality shoes. My fraternal Grandfather advised that in life you only need good food, a good mattress and good shoes. :blush:

1 Like

Put medical tape over the blister. Tape is better than a bandaid because it wont fall off. You gotta catch it before it breaks to do this. You will need to soak your feet to get the tape off. When you feel like you might get a blister where your shoes rub, tape it right away, before a blister starts. Once it breaks, its harder becuase you need to cover it with a piece of gauze before taping, and that will tend to rub and be uncomfortable. But, you might be able to work it out. Having treated many, many people for this at First-Aid stations, I can tell you that this is the ultimate, best course of action. Its about the only thing that works if you plan to be on your feet all day. Best of luck to you.

Thanks @Cyclinglady, I just turned 30 and I have noticed a difference in the width of my foot. I’m glad I’m not going crazy and this has happened to someone else. My grandmother too is always preaching to never wear shoes with “a short toe” ha.

What medical tape would you recommend? I have some but it’s the blue “scratchy” kind which I’m about to throw in the trash.

I have different luck with different brands. The waterproof J&J stuff gives me a rash. I dont think the paper stuff sticks as well as the fabric tape, but it might accommodate your shoes better because its thinner. You may need to experiment.

Will do, thank you.

One word: podiatrist.

:rofl: @DanP thank you for stating the obvious but with my high deductible plan I doubt I’ll be going to a “podiatrist” for a small completely manageable blister.