Data transfer from G4 Platinum receiver to PC with non-proprietary cable?

I am crap at keeping track of cables. I have been able to charge my G4 Platinum receiver with any one of the zillion charging cables that have come with our various Android phones over the years. However, I’m looking to download the data from my receiver to my PC, and I’m realizing that whenever I plug it into my computer with a random compatible cable, it just treats it as a charging station, rather than as a computer it can “talk” to.

Do I absolutely need the proprietary Dexcom cable to get the data off my receiver?? Or can I sub in another cable as long as it has (insert whatever feature here)?

Thanks!!

If you can charge your receiver from your computer then the cable is fine, but to access the data you’ll need to launch Dexcom’s application. I use Studio but that may be a bit out of date now.

Eh, I have the applications installed, and I’ve used them before with the Dex cable. But now they’re saying the receiver isn’t plugged in when I use a regular cable.

Are the G4 and G5 connectors the same? I’ve never had any problem using a cord from my flip phone.