Dawn Phenomenon Timing

Really depends on each individual however, I used to combat it by taking a unit or two fast acting early morning depending on what the BG result showed. Nowadays, I switched to Tresiba which has completely resolved it (be that either Dawn Phenomenon or the foot on the floor thing). For myself, it also was highly dependent on diet the night before (which still applies). Had to experiment a bit though including trying Levemir and Toujeo. Tresiba is finicky so it could take some time to find the happy balance.

I started taking Metformin recently and it has really helped with my “feet on the floor” dawn phenomenon. I take 500mg twice daily, once at dinner and once when I wake up.

it did help when i started taking it months ago or almost a year , but for some reason it’s been getting out of hand recently
atm i’m handling both FOTF and DP using boluses first thing in the morning and i’m also splitting lantus doses

when it comes to Diabetes Medications Australia is definitely lagging 5 years at least

I’d give Levemir a try. Your dose might not be the same as Lantus, I’ve read people often have to take more of it for the same effect so you may be able to get ~12 hours out of a dose and only have to take it twice a day. You also may not even need NPH if you take enough of it at night. It has more of a pronounced peak than Lantus from what I’ve read. I definitely have DP but usually wake up with with a good number when I’m using Levemir, unless I’ve slept in past the time it starts fading out (rare but it happens) or I’ve eaten a slow-digesting meal. Try and get Regular/Toronto/Actrapid/Humulin or whatever it’s called in Australia though. I could never match my control on a pump without it. It’s perfect for protein/fat digestion, simulating temporary basal increases and covering basal gaps.

I certainly need regular insulin as blood sugar always starts creeping back up more than two hours after any meal. I can try Levemir for a month or two i guess before I go for NPH.

I was on Levemir after my surgery. My new endocrinologist said it was only active for about 18 hours and switched me to Toujeo which actually worked so much better. I am now on an insulin pump but still have the AM high blood sugar which I do a bolus to correct.

I was on Levemir after my surgery. My new endocrinologist said it was only active for about 18 hours and switched me to Toujeo which is a 24 hour acting.