Day 1 on Pump

so it is 2:00pm and I just finished my pump class about an hour ago. so far I like this little device. I was worried I would feel the insulin going in, but that’s clearly not the case. I still feel pretty nervous with the pump. I’m worried I’m going to imput something wrong and have a massive sugarlow. I guess it’s just a matter of building up my confidence with this little thing.
Right now, I feel like this pump is the greatest thing ever, and I wish my doctor would have let me get on it sooner, but… whatever the important thing is I have it now. I have yet to enter a meal bolus, but I did have to suspend my machine for a tiny sugarlow. My sugar is back to normal, so I hope that’s the last time I have to deal with that today.Well, I guess that’s all I have to say right now. Wish me luck :wink:

add on

It is now 9pm. It has been a fun filled day of constant sugar checking. I think my fingertips are about to fall off. I have checked my sugar a grand total of 23 times. I guess I’ve become a bit obsessive with my “new toy”. I haven’t had any major highs and no super lows, so thank God for that. The lowest I’ve had my sugar is 64 and the highest is 201. I entered in my first meal bolus at 6pm and I can’t believe how easy it was. I really like this pump. I hope I continue to like it in the future. My friends say they see me becoming ticked off and throwing the pump out the window. I tell them that won’t happen not because I wouldn’t be tempted but because this machine cost way too much money :slight_smile:

I have been on the pump for about a month. 2 months ago my HBA1C was 7, the latest HBA1C since starting the pump is 5.4. I check my sugar regularly and if I see a trend that it is dropping I will reduce my basal insulin for a few hours so that I don’t go low. Now if I don’t catch it in time I will suspend it for about an hour to let it go back up and then reattach with a lower basal rate for a few hours. I have to agree the pump is the greatest thing ever. I have so much better control now. In time you will get the confidence in the pump and it will become second nature to you.

I started pumping on April 14th, and I LOVE it. Although my basil settings still need tweaking and at times I feel like I have to learn everything all over again. It’s still 100% better than being on injections - which is weird to say because the injections never used to bother me.

So, you are on Day 3 now - how are you liking it? I’m still having lots of lows (and some highs), but I can deal with it while my endo and I tweak my settings. I already feel like I have much better contol. Oh, and my fingers got used to the extra testing after a couple of weeks. :slight_smile:

Congrats on your new toy, I have been a Type 1 for 41 years and pumping for 5 and cannot imagine going back to shots. Hope things continue to go well for you.

Cody lowering basals to stop a low works for you? You don’t go high later after you have lowered your basals. I still feed my lows, but not always what I want to do. Do you lower your basals for exercise too?