DayCare

I check her every time i change her diaper. there are slight keytones, im at the end of my rope here. the pump does do something that the shots dont, i dont have to poke her 7+ times a damn day. im so tired and i just feel like i can’t do this anymore. im alone 9+ months a year, my husband when home doesnt help. right now i have no family or friends to give me a break to get away. so spending two weeks in the hospital only to get sent home and fair epically… that just makes my day.

As everyone has pointed out, you are doing a great job taking care of your little one. It is not an easy job and it’s even harder when it’s only one person doing most of the work.

The pump is much better than multiple injections. My son (he’s almost 3 and a half years old) has been on two different pumps in less than a year (Animas and Omnipod). Although the first few weeks/months on a pump are not easy due to the frequent testing, things do settle and become much easier. The fact that we can apply a correction anytime or let him eat a snack without having to poke him with a needle is priceless. There are many advantages as well as disadvantages. I’m sure you can find plenty of both on these forums.

Don’t be discouraged with her numbers. I know it is a very frustrating situation and you are doing the best you can. Keep pressing the doctors for a pump. We had to change doctors since his first ped endo did not like toddlers on a pump. His new ped endo is very supportive and listens to us. Don’t give up!

Good luck and keep us posted. Remember, that you are not alone. You have a whole community here ready to help you through these tough times!

Actually goodnews on our end! pump here we come! Her numbers are improving so much! 116 to 238… i want to get it to 180. she is waking up 298. the doctors have us doing these injections and it is because she is three (wow three) we are doing humalog every 2.5 hours, even if if its a tiny amount to keep her level. im less stressed since they listened to what we wanted for goals and what was possible reaches. they said the doctor will talked to me in a month and then she will help us get set up for a pump. for once things are going better and im not fustrated. and freddie thank you.

Hello, Im new to the group. My 3yr old has been cared for by an in-home day care since he was born. She went through the entire process of dx, training and pump training. Even though we have provided for her every opportunity and tool she needs we still have issues. Simply put. Shes human. DS has been pumping for over a year now but we still wont let her change sites. If necc I will have her give a correction by bolus and go home to change a site. Otherwise we take care of sites in the evenings. Pumping is definitely more work and takes more thought process. We are constantly reminding the sitter how to do this and that and ALL shes allowed to do is count carbs and bolus. Nothing else. Thats as simple as we can make it. I mentioned DS is 3. We have had an occasion where he would pull his pump out but hes very good about sitting still so we can bolus, by not touching it and truly making it a part of his body. He even runs to an adult when the alarms sound. It would just take time and routine for your daughter to respect her pump.

I understand its not easy or perhaps even possible to switch day cares at the moment. Do everything you can to help them help your child and then when the moment is right bolt to a new day care. Even tho I can fire my sitter at any moment, my issue is finding someone else and retraining them. For now, its worth the hassle until I find someone else who I trust more.