DBlog 2015, Changes

“Today let’s talk about changes, in one of two ways. Either tell us what you’d most like to see change about diabetes, in any way. This can be management tools, devices, medications, people’s perceptions, your own feelings – anything at all that you feel could use changing. OR reflect back on some changes you or your loved one has seen or been through since being diagnosed with diabetes. Were they expected or did they surprise you?”

I love some changes, especially the change of seasons. We’ve had some huge changes in our lives, like moving; we’ve lived in the Northwest, New York and now Ohio; all good changes. Then there are the minor changes, like our recent purchase of new living room furniture; not only good, but needed. I didn’t need a new autoimmune disease though, when I acquired LADA, Type 1 Diabetes, 22 years ago.

I have seen many changes in the treatment of Diabetes since my diagnosis, even though they are not as dramatic as those for PWDs who have been dealing with this disease for years longer than I have. I started on R and NPH; then Humalog and Lantus; then a few years on a MM pump; now MDI on Apidra and Levemir. Levemir was a great advance for me, since Lantus gave me a constant headache. (I wrote about how I ran out of real estate for pumps yesterday.) Like everyone else, I’m anxiously awaiting further advances beyond the pump and CGMs, to the time we can realistically talk about cures for all type of Diabetes.

Two things occurred to me while thinking of this topic of Changes. 1) You must maintain a sense of humor! Goodness knows you have to be able to laugh at yourself after a low. 2) When I accepted the fact that I have Type1 and then allowed it to be part of me, I became somewhat self-centered. Of course one has to be somewhat self-centered in order to treat it continuously, day and night, but still… I’m going to have to work on changing that!

3 Likes