DBlog Week - Day 4 - What Would Your Fantasy Diabetes Device Be?

“Today let’s tackle an idea inspired by Bennet of Your Diabetes May Vary. Tell us what your Fantasy Diabetes Device would be? Think of your dream blood glucose checker, delivery system for insulin or other meds, magic carb counter, etc. etc. etc. The sky is the limit – what would you love to see?”

(Note: I know I am late in posting about this topic. I was almost finished when I fell asleep at the computer. Hazards of blogging at the very end of the day.)

When I went to the theater to see the film Ironman 2, my mouth went agape the moment I saw Tony Stark’s toxicity meter. For a split second my heart was all aflutter at the mere thought that Ironman was a Type 1 diabetic. How hardcore is that??!!! Then I returned to the reality of the unreal and continued watching the film. Besides the idea of Ironman being a Super Hero with D, I also kept thinking about the toxicity meter. I loved that he just put his finger on the device and it sampled his blood and gave him the result.

I wish that I could go into great descriptive detail about a device that would be the most fantastical thing I’d ever owned. So, I’ll just keep it as plainly put as possible. I would like a device that was my iPhone, blood meter (No strips!!! Please!!), an app that was a logbook but also analyzes my results based on patterns and settings and where you could enter detailed information about your food intake. This way, whenever I had my phone, I had everything.

The likelihood of this happening any time soon really is a fantasy. However, as I had been recently contemplating which new blood meter to purchase, I just wished I could do away with test strips. Those pesky things seem to show up everywhere. Dr. Seuss should really consider writing a book for diabetics called “Oh the Places Test Strips Go!” I find them in the strangest of places…in bed, on the floor, under the refrigerator, on my car seat, in the car ashtray (which is really another cemetery for test strips…and gum wrappers). The most common of places test strips go to die is in the deepest caverns of my ginormous purse. This is what I found when I cleaned it out today.

I know this is where the companies make their money, but I wish they could help a sister out.

Haha! They're like a trail of breadcrumbs! I too want a phone/meter/logbook/cgm device! As it is I carry at least 4 electronic items with me at all times!

I like that..."a trail of breadcrumbs!" My family jokes and calls me the "Bionic Woman." I just wish that I had that cool noise in the background whenever she use to leap somewhere. (But that could possibly be annoying sometimes too. lol)