#Dblogweek: Diabetes and the lessons from #bringbackourgirls

#bringbackourgirls a global inferno that raged on social media, print media, Television Screens, Streets and even politics in Nigeria.
The story of a terror group abducting over 200 girls from a single community.

The story that started like a propaganda to discredit the current Nigeria government took a wild, wide turn when global outcry was unleashed.
Uk, US, China, Israel, Kenya and host of countries from all over the world showed great concerns for these children vowing to find an end to this terror group.

Well meaning activists, artistes, celebrities, politicians and dignitaries to include the former British prime minister and the U.S first lady all showed empathy and support for what the whole world unaminaously agreed as a callous and insensitive act.

In as much as I am overwhelmed by the support and love shown both locally and internationally for this great cause I cannot but look back at how it all started.

Its so unfortunate to know that Boko Haram the terror group started 2002 - some 12 years ago, we all had to wait until BH grew to be a global problem before deciding to stand out for what is right: ADEQUATE SECURITY FOR ALL.

Please don’t get me wrong I am a strong supporter of this cause and I also believe every humane and sane individual should support a cause that aims at ending either domestic or international terror.
But on the other hand why did we wait till 200 children got kidnapped before we knew there was problem in our hands.

Prevention they say is the best form of medicine and in as much as nigeria and most africa countries are periled by bad leadership, poor health services, poverty, unemployment, religious intolerance we must also understand that all these often overlooked systems factor in to produce the monster called boko haram.

I am certain the cost of local and international intervention in this cause would have been averted if the simple adage of prevention being better than cure was followed.

If only our government and the world paid attention to the small but determined voices that were shouting INSECURITY a long time ago.
If only every Nigerian had been an advocate without necessarily being affected by what they advocate about.

If only we had been advocates for Good Education, Peace, Health, Good Governance, Justice etc and been whistle blowers before the problem grows out of hand.

Everytime I try to speak about Diabetes as a major cause of mortality in nigeria, am many times ffaced with some embarrassing questions: Are you diabetic? What do you stand to gain? You’re in for the money right? My father is diabetic but please can you keep it hush.

My response has always been Bill Gates amongst others, an astute propagator of health in africa without even being affected by any of the condition he funds - Polio, Eclampsia, Malaria just to mention a few.

As at today 3.8 million nigerians have type 2 diabetes mellitus and this means if adequate care and control are not in place we will have 3.8 million complicated cases of diabetes in the nearest future not to talk of type1 children who will need support, care, love and importantly free access to insulin and people diagnosed with gestational diabetes.

We should learn being proactive from the #bringbackourgirls campaign and don’t let us wait till things get out of hand before we start active actions.

Both Local and International communities should support preventive measures, encourage preventive programs aimed at averting issues like this in the nearest future be is health, security, education, unemployment etc.

Let’s remember that every good cause we refuse to support today may spell disaster for us tomorrow.

Happy #diabetesblog week Nigeria.

Adejumo Hakeem is a diabetes advocate and co-founder of The Nigeria Diabetes Online Community @hadejumo. www.ngdoc.com; www.ngdocblog.com

100% very well said so true
PREVENTION NOW IS BETTER & CHEAPER THAN A CURE LATER

I almost wrote my Monday blog on this topic. Thank you for covering it in Dblog week. I woudl have gone after blind outrage, your approach is so much better.

Thanks shoshana. Prevention should be a priority for all countries.

Rick thanks for your kind words.

Hello, and thank you for your thoughtful blog. Happy DBlog week to you.