Deciding on which pump to use - HELP!

My son is 14 and we are having a lot of trouble with the dawn phenomenon. Being on Novolog & Lantus we don't have many options except (me/mom) getting up at 4 a.m, 5 a.m. and 6 a.m. to test and give insulin. Our endo. said that the only other option would be a pump to help solve this.

Now, my son wants to go with OmniPod, but I have read about TERRIBLE highs after new pump/pod insertion. Also, the pump just stops/turns off if there is an problem and stops delivering insulin. Do any of you have any problems like this with the Animas Pumps??

Also, pros and/or cons would be helpful too. THANKS!

Any pump is going to work wonderfully for your son as long as everyone is on board and has a good support/education team. I did 22 years on MDI before going on the pump and kicked myself for not doing it sooner. I’ve been pumping for 12 years with Medtronic, Cozmo, and now Animas. I can tell you honestly that they’re all going to work, at their core, the same. You’ll hear pump horror stories about all manufacturers, they’re likely a small percentage of users, please don’t let them drive your decision. As a mother, I might suggest letting your son make the final decision so he feels like he has control. Regardless, best of luck and try not to worry - it will be such a wonderful advancement in his care no matter what.

No, to be frank, I have not heard good things about the Omnipod. The pods seem to have a lot of problems. Not that all pumps don't have issues, but if you do some research and reviews I'm sure you'll see a lot more negative ones on Omnipod than the regular tubed pumps. Many people get Omnipod solely to avoid tubing. But oddly enough people worry about tubing ahead of time and then once they start pumping they don't find it annoying at all. Also, if your son wants a less obvious pump, the pods are BIG!

I absolutely agree with your doctor that a pump would be a perfect tool to deal with DP. I don't have that issue myself but many people who do report the pump helping 100%. And it stands to reason. You can bolus a higher level of insulin to cover DP. If, for example his blood sugar starts rising at 4AM, then you would start a higher rate of basal at 2AM. Hourly basal rates are variable over the 24 hours for us all and a pump can match those needs infinitely better than longterm insulin.

Each pump has different features and what you have to do is figure out which meets his needs/wants the best. What I like about my Ping is the meter/remote. I take my blood sugar and then bolus from the meter remote and my pump itself can stay hooked to my waist or hooked to my bra (yeah, not relevant to Kyle..lol). It is also waterproof which swimmers like. In my 2 years on the Ping I've had only a small number of "no delivery" incidents. I do have occasional problems with infusion sets "failing" in various ways. But I think that is true of all pumps. It's suggested to get a sample of various types of infusion sets to see which works best for you. I've also learned tips and tricks on here and reduced my number of failed sets. On the down side of a pump (I don't know if you are fully decided to get a pump yet) you need a lot of stuff! I went away overnight this week and had to take spare cartridges, infusion sets, a vial of insulin and a syringe in case of problem. This in addition to the normal glucose tablets and test strips. To me, however, the advantages of a pump far outweigh the drawbacks. Finally, the "being attached all the time" which people dread ahead of time is no big deal. I don't even think about it. Personally I use the longer tubing because it makes it easier to get dressed, go to the bathroom, etc without feeling tethered.

Pumps definitely have a learning curve and it takes a few weeks/couple months until everything is all balanced out (set use, basal rates, etc.) But Kyle will love his pump!

I would get a ping. It's not perfect, but it's waterproof, very tough, and the "tubing" will keep him from losing the main part of the pump. I thoought about the pod... but I can barely keep up with my phone!

I agree with Zoe.

I've known people who used OmniPods then switched because of problems (stopping delivery, getting knocked loose/off playing sports because they sit too high, etc.).

I was on MDI for many years as well and had severe swings in BG levels due to dawn phenomenon. I too used Lantus and Novolog.

After doing research I decided a pump was definitely the way to go. I didn't want the OmniPod because of what I heard and the comments of close friends who tried them. At the same time I was concerned about the "tubing." I didn't care for the the idea of being tethered. Would the tubing kink and stop insulin delivery? How am I going to sleep with this thing? I believe these are the kind of thoughts which make the OmniPod appealing. I looked at information on all the pumps available in the U.S. comparing their features. I viewed many diabetic user web sites reading their critiques of whatever pump they were using. If they switched brands along the way it was interesting to find out why.

After sifting through all this I decided on Animas for a several reasons. One I thought was important was it had the smallest increments for both basal and bolus deliveries. The smaller increments would allow me to more finely tune the pump to my needs. Another reason was the pump was waterproof to 12 feet for up to 24 hours. I knew people on other brands who put their pumps in plastic sandwich bags when taking a shower or had to take them off. That's a nuisance. I also like to swim. Some pumps would have to be disconnected while doing so. I heard comments about good customer support from Animas. Since they are part of Johnson & Johnson, who makes LifeScan glucometers, my reasoning was customer support would be similar. I spoke with my doctor and informed her I wanted to go on the Animas pump. There had been no prior discussion so she was surprised to say the least. Her recommendation was the Medtronic pump. I told her my rationale for choosing Animas and she agreed. She had Animas do the training for me.

My fears regarding tubing developing kinks, etc. were unfounded. That's not to say if I intentionally folded the tubing over and clamped it with pliers it wouldn't stop delivery; it definitely would. I not an issue in normal use including sports. You do need to make sure it's routed so it doesn't get caught on doorknobs, etc. I did have that happen once early on in my use.

As Zoe mentioned any pump will do the job as long as it is properly set up. It took about 3 months to regulate my BGs. Animas has a very good book available on their web site called "My Insulin Pump Workbook;" (http://www.animas.com/about-insulin-pump-therapy/online-education-training). I downloaded the book before I made my decision and did all the exercises. As far as the controls are concerned they are specific to Animas pumps but the concepts are all the same. It covers expectations, doing basal testing, etc. I found it to be very helpful.

The journey of moving from MDI to a pump has been well worth the effort and the few bumps in the road along the way. It was THE BEST decision I ever made regarding my diabetes and care.

Be sure to look at the “new kid on the block”, the Tandem t-slim. It has been out a few months and most (or all) users love it. It’s a touch screen pump. You should be able to find lots of user reviews.

I chose the Animas Ping this fall for 2 reasons over the t-slim. 1) I use the Dexcom CGMS and there is a Animas program in place that when the combined Animas/Dexcom pump is released, I can upgrade for $99. Tandem currently has no upgrade program in place. 2) the t-slim is rechargeable instead of using batteries. I hate recharging things and currently don’t want a rechargeable pump.

That being said, after pumping with Medtronic for 8 years (love their pumps, hate their CGMS), I don’t particularly like the Ping. The menu system is cumbersome compared to other pumps. Plus, all the people buying the t-slim seem super excited about it. I feel “blah” about the Ping even though I still look forward to the next generation Animas pump.

Thank you.

Do you have the problem with highs after inserting a new infusion set? How do you know it fails? I heard the OmniPod "screams" at you and then just shuts off. Do you know right when you insert it that there is a problem or does it happen later?

** Also, you can chose your infusion set? A set one doesn't come with each pump brand? Thanks.

Thanks. I posted this on the Medtronic page too. So, I can't wait to hear there pros and cons. But, I love the fact that this is waterproof & that there is a separate meter so he doesn't have to "play" with the pump attached to him.

Kyle has the Dexcom G4 as well. We heard that they just asked for FDA approval for the new Animas pump (avail. in Europe already - lucky). But, it would be nice that he didn't have to carry the cgm, the pump, and the meter for the pump all on him. It would at least let him get rid of one thing. Do you use the meter or do you use the controls on the pump itself?

Hi, my son has the Animas One Touch Ping and we love it. We love that it's waterproof, and that it has a remote that is nice to use versus always having to mess with the pump. He keeps the pump around his waist in a spibelt. (Like a fanny pack but very small and comfortable. He keeps the pump in it all time, so sleeping with it on is easy too.) If you pick the ping I think you and your son will be very happy!! :)

I love my Ping and couldn't imagine not having a remote. I often keep my pump clipped to my bra and it's nice to not have to take it out to bolus. Plus doing the testing and bolusing all on one device seems smooth. I would think it would be great for a small active kid as you can just "zap him" without even having to slow him down!....Well I guess you'd have to stop him long enough to test, but then you can do the rest without him!

Sorry, just saw this now!

Pros - Animas:
* Waterproof
* Includes pairable Onetouch meter that can remotely control the pump
* Potential for sooner integration with Dexcom CGMS as they already have the Vibe out in the UK which has CGMS integrated

Pros - Medtronic:
* Has CGMS integrated already
* Established company with patent on navigation making using the pump more intuitive
* Includes a pairable OneTouch meter that will send your BGs directly to the pump making it very easy to program a bolus
* Company is rumored to have something new about to be released which will provide a more accurate CGMS
* Pump comes in two versions: One that can hold 300 (if I remember correctly) units of insulin making the resevoir stick out above the top of the pump. One that holds 150 units making the resevoir top flush with the top of the pump. This is nice for those whose TDD is not that high.
* Optional remote available for purchase separately

Cons - Animas:
* Navigation sucks. Sorry, but if you go from the MM to the Animas you'll get frustrated with how much button pushing is involved for a simple bolus. If you've never had a pump before, you won't notice it so don't worry
* No integrated CGMS so you have to carry a separate device
* Regardless of insulin usage, all pumps come with a resevoir that sticks out above the top line of the pump. Again, if you've never used a pump before, you won't notice it as much.
* Many doctor's offices complain about the slow speed and difficulty in downloading pump data

Cons - Medtronic:
* Not waterproof
* Integrated CGMS is highly inaccurate for most users. I know it was for me. Plus, I found it painful to wear.
* My personal experience with Medtronic was a lot of pump failures. To be fair though, I was an anomaly according to many diabetics I've spoken with.
* Optional remote (for an additional cost) only provides an audio bolus, does not allow you to calculate dosage
* Customer service at corporate number has improved over the years, but still leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but I hope this helps!

I have different types of failures, though I've found they are getting less since I've changed various small things. Sometimes I know I have a failure because it hurts or because I can see some blood through the little plastic window or can see the canula is probably bent. Sometimes I just start having persistent highs. For me my problems rarely start right after insertion.

You can choose your infusion set if it is compatable with your pump. I stick with Animas as I have a discount with them. But they have a choice of types as well. (two regular, angled and straight and two manual)

Wow! Thanks! :)

I looked up the Spibelt on their site. It says they have one with two pockets - one on each side. I thought it would be nice to keep his CGM on one side and his pump and/or PDM on the other. Which one does your son wear?

My son wears the kids' diabetic spibelt, I think the one with 2 pockets must be new I don't remember seeing that one before. Cody doesn't wear a CGM so we only needed the basic one. Good luck with all of your decisions.