Defense

Click over to my blog for full text.

I defended my dissertation today. It went well, I had a really nice oral defense that took just under an hour. Following this I had a meeting with my committee for their recommendations. That took 2 hours. By the end I was exhausted (still am) and confused about what to do. I spoke with my mentor, who was also at the meeting and is the chair of my committee, and I feel better about it. I have to…

SuFu

Congratulations on getting through it! Not muchto do compared to some I’ve known LOL I’m sure you must be disappointed to have to make any changes though. Hope the migraine disappears :wink:

I am happy for you, I cant imagine all the work you have put into all this. There is light at the end of the tunnel…and I will bet you are excited to be able to see it now!!

Congrats on your almost PhD!!!

That sounds pretty straightforward – you’ll be done with the mop-up in no time. Marvelous.

I hope you’re feeling better soon. It’s funny, but your symptoms sound exactly like how I felt yesterday for five or six hours hours: dizzy/headache/migraine. I threw up, slept for a few hours and felt much better, still a little dizzy/queasy – but the headache was gone. I’m still not sure what it was. Maybe there’s a weird bug going around? Maybe severe stress?

Anyway, I was thinking of you today and wishing you well. You must feel so proud to have accomplished this major milestone – if not, you will soon. Congratulations!!!

Thanks all! I’m in the lab right now starting the correction process. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I’m pushing this train as fast I can to the station!

SuFu, almost PhD

Sounds good to me, too! Just a few additions/corrections & you’re a PhD! I had to defend my master’s thesis in a room with 3 professors, then walk out in the hall while they discussed whether to award my degree. They walked out & said I made it & I burst into tears. OMG. It’s very stressful, because you put your life into it & it’s under review.

Same thing happened to me for both my comp exam oral defense and now the phd defense. I go for an hour or two then they kick you out for, in this case 30 min after shelling your presentation for 2 hours. I walked in and they said congrats. I was so emotionally numb that I couldn’t have cared less. All I wanted to know was what corrections I had to make.