Dehydration causing VERY HIGH BGs I cannot get down

Went to a music festival over the weekend. No cover or shade. I had a hat, wore sunscreen and drank a lot of water. But I had the classic symptoms of dehydration: muscle cramps, sweating, nausea, etc. We did everything we could to stop it, but my BG escalated and was unaffected by numerous doses of bolus. (Know the insulin had been fine since setup.) Anyway, changed the infusion set when we got back to the hotel.

Even with corrections and shots I had a meter reading at 4AM of 371. That is SO out of the norm for me. I set a 200% temp basal, and took 5 units by syringe. Four hours later, I meter tested at 219. Got home, changed the infusion set and used a new bottle of insulin. Took 2 more units by syringe and have left the temp basal in place.

My CGM is highly confused so I am watching the ISIGs more that the BGs. Even though very inaccurate, it is the only way to follow–I have done about 18 BG readings over the last 24 hours.

In the last 24 hours since this started, I have taken 15 correction units and 17 basal units. I have eaten nothing, so none of this is food related, unless these is glucagon dumping, as my body is sure it is starving. My normal daily basal is 9.2 and my daily totals are around 15 units. I have no ketones and my kidneys are functioning well and I have continued to hydrate.

We had to come home and are missing the second day of concerts as I write this. I was able to give my VIP tickets and parking pass to a very excited young 20 something, so that was good…

I am terrified that this will right itself and I will crash. If that happens, it will be hard and fast, if my past experience is any indicator.

Ideas? Solutions? Should I eat something?

There are two things about dehydration. First, it is about the loss of water in your body. But it is also about electrolyte imbalance. Often this occurs as you sweat and then even if you drink water you don’t replenish the electrolytes you lost from your sweat. And make no mistake, electrolytes have a key role in your glucose metabolism. In particular sodium and potassium can be a problem. Low sodium in particular is known to cause serious insulin resistance. It is easy to restore your sodium, just pour salt into water and drink it. Potassium is a little harder, I keep potassium supplements around. Some good food sources of potassium include broccoli, dark leafy greens, milk, tomatoes, fish, meat and avocado.

3 Likes

Thanks. Just drank 16 ounces of salt water. No way am I driving like this for potassium of electrolytes…

I never thought about that angle. Should have. Thanks again.

1 Like

I think I will add some salt tablets and potassium capsules to my “go-to” kit for the summer! Sue, I sure hope you are feeling better soon!

Thank you. I hope that too. Not working great, but a bit better.

I hope you’re feeling better Sue!
I would guess that maybe exhaustion too?
Previous replies sound very knowledgeable and everyone here is very helpful.
Hopefully it helps :slight_smile:
and I’m sorry you had to miss the rest of the music festival.
I’m missing The Script concert tonight :frowning: and I know how it feels </3 (my excuse for missing isn’t diabetes-related though)

It fell, as I expected, Sunday night. My CGM buzzed every 20 minutes from midnight to 7 AM. I could have turned the alerts off, but I was afraid. Monday was…better. Monday night was…better, lot of alerts, but not so low and easily treated.
Finally moving forward today. Tired from all the highs, lows, frustration, worry, lack of sleep for 3 nights, and all the drama. Hopefully, I can get a really good nights sleep and wake up bright and bushy tailed, as my Dad would say.

You need a nurse friend who can hook you up with an IV. Takes forever to get rehydrated again. Find some friendly, retired paramedic pal who can help you out. Those guys hook themselves up everytime they go out binge drinking. I bet you can find someone, if that happens again. Sounds awful.