Demistify Creativity - (2 of 3)

Myth #2 - I can’t get any more creative.

If you’ve asked yourself the question, what can I add to my own creativity to get better, then you’re on the right track. Creative thinkers don’t usually get more creative…they temper themselves with something almost opposite. Here’s some examples:

You can add technical knowledge.
You can add a stronger work ethic.
You can add a closely related skill.
You can add friends with the same creative streak.

Sometimes creative people are tagged as being free spirited and flighty. While that’s true sometimes (you’ve all seen the creative person who hasn’t showered in a month) it’s more of a frame of mind than laziness. Being able to couple your creativity with hard work is one of the most powerful things you can strive for. No one likes a creative person who doesn’t accomplish anything.

By strengthening areas around your creative mindset… you can become more productive. And ultimately more useful. The difference between an artist and a “free-lance artist” is the artist has a job somewhere and is working on strict timetables with guidelines. The “free-lance” artist has 5 paintings he’s trying to sell while he hangs out at the flea market because he doesn’t like to be told what to do.

Ask yourself, when am I most creative?