Depressed and not wanting to take care of myself

I have type 1 and paranoid schizophrenia. When I get depressed, and have trouble with my mental illness, I don’t want to take care of my diabetes. I have been hospitalized many times for both mental illness and diabetes. I don’t know what to do. I’m depressed now…and I am having alot of trouble getting out of it.

Hi Kristina. I haven’t been on here for 2 years; I am struggling with depression so much that I don’t do anything or go anywhere; I am obese and can’t even get from my apt to my car without getting seriously out of breath; I can’t grocery shop or go up stairs; I’m supposed to start a diet and exercise program but I am afraid I will panic at being out of breath. My life sux and if I can get my act together I should be able to start getting better. I have type 2 after gaining a lot of weight after I cared for my father while he died from lung cancer–diabetes is not a big problem- it’s my weight and depression. I certainly have no advice since I am in deep myself; I just go to therapy, take my medicines and struggle toward climbing out of this hole; wishing you well

Kristina:

I am sorry for this issue. i have type 1 and I also suffer from severe depression. I beleive in my heat chronic disease and depression tend to together. My best advice, get to a therapist immediately. If you are off your meds for depression restart it. If I miss a couple of doses, i am really in trouble.

rick phillips

Thanks guys for writing back. I have type 1, so if I’m not on top of it and wearing my pump…I’m in big trouble. I’m back on my meds for depression, and I put in a call to my therapist. Jan–I hope you get on here more often. I know it’s hard…but we are all here to support each other. I found a diabetes support group in my area that I go to…it has been a life saver!

I feel your pain, I too suffer from depression, bipolar, ptsd, and have attempted 4 times in the last 2 days, thankfully or unthankfully I haven’t been successful. I know its hard to want to care for yourself when it seems no one else cares for you. Im going to tell you what the crisis center told me, just try and take it day to day.
Good luck.

things can be better…I have gotten a lot less depressed since mid-March and am watching my diet closely; and I do think that helps. you cannot change your mind after you die; I hope you can find meds to help with depression and anxiety…and when you can’t hope for yourself, I will hope for you. I care about you! Please hang in...janjamiedana@yahoo.com