Design the Ideal Pump!

• Ability to hide menus if so desired
  • Ability to disable all these fantastic features if so desired.
  • Open communication standard with SDK to communicate with modile device (fat chace the FDA will approve that)
  • Ability to send reminders and trending information to smart devices
  • Audio functionality for sightless PWDs
  • Uber thin cannula (>30 gauge) for less scar tissue
  • IOB quick display or constant display
  • Dexcom integration
  • Working battery meter (lol MM)
  • cartridge / pen integration to be able to switch back and forth if need be
  • Secure control from smart device (heck why not just make an app with a dongle for finger sticks to my iphone?)

A pump that takes no more than five seconds for the average person to scroll to and deliver an insulin dose.

A pump company that will listen to a large sample of users before they settle on their design. It seems that once the hardware/software design is submitted to the FDA, the pump company will not change one thing!

I think thats because the FDA takes so dang long to approve things. If there is the slightest change, the approval process needs to be started over from the beginning.

make it under $500 so people like me can actually afford the darn things

Ability to program 2 temporary basals that run one after the other:
Ex. Basal off for 30 minutes followed by Basal at 90% for next 6 hours

Ability to set a bolus and delay it for a user determined amount of time:
Ex. Give 3 Units Square Wave over 2 hours beginning 2 hours from now

I left out the word “NOT” …I can NOT afford…

I looked up the Jewel and found it could be lifted out and reinserted in a different location after 3 days, so does that make it a closer match to some CGM that lasts 6 days. I’ve never used a pump. I’m just researching them because I have serious low blood sugars in the morning. The scanario that brings them on is that if I can’t fall asleep for many hours and then tend to over sleep once I do, it means that even a low amount of insulin like 4u of Levemir can result in very scary situations. My doctor suggested the pump that can be connected to the CGM that turns off the insulin pump if the interstitial fluid sugar level falls too low.

I want people to pay close attention to the fact that analogue insulins are not an exact match to human and I have a high suspicion that people’s immune system is actually trying to attack it and that is what causes the build up of scar tissue in the process. People with DrB’s book should re read chapter 7 where he discusses the rule of small numbers. I am totally convinced the reason I take so little insulin is I’ve always used such small injections that it always is “under the radar” and is so small it doesn’t attract the attention of my immune system to try to destroy it. I have the scary situation that even 4u of Levemir can drop me 11mmol in 12 hours. I’ll take 2u Levemir to keep a level I go to bed with and be enough insulin to prevent the liver releasing a lot of glucose.

A tubeless wireless pump that is really small and almost like a band aid. Along with that there should be a watch that constantly monitors your blood sugar and the watch would be the control for the pump too.

Bouncing off what others have said, how about a regulatory approval path that is short and common sense for small changes in pump design? How about removing responsibility for regulation from the FDA entirely and giving it to a small specialty agency that is streamlined and full of common sense? If this were so, we might already have staircase temp basals, advanced bolus features and fully customizable alarms. These features are relatively simple advancements of current features and technology. The pump can be designed so that these features have to be specifically enabled so that people who don’t want them can keep their pump navigation quick and simple.

These are the kinds of things I keep needing / wanting!

The ability to delay and set things that are un-settable so far (on Omnipod), to run at one basal, then switch to another in a settable amount of time (like Basal 1 for 2 hours, then switch to Basal 2). Or to suspend for an hour then run at -50%.

I agree with this completely, and find it fairly absurd that this control of timing wasn't built in, if you can do it by hand, why not allow it to be set on timer?

I also keep feeling really angry when I am removing an expired pod, and try to get the leftover insulin out of it (sometimes more than 50 units, ugh), and only can get out about 20 units, losing 30-ish units per pod. I seem to vary insulin needs fairly wildly, also making setting basals successfully, difficult.

I have had way more severe lows post-pump than Lantus/Humalog MDI, which I have thought since the beginning I'd have under way better control if the "advanced timing" features were available on Omnipod.

I have occasionally really needed to be able to control things from the pump also. This is not only a convenience when I have, say, served dinner but don't have the PDM on me so I need to run around to find it before I can sit down too, or for a safety feature when I have misplaced the PDM.

Ideally, I should have a few PDMs, really.

Boy we sure think alike! None of the other pumps have the delay feature either. Wouldn’t that be nice?

I usually lose a little bit of insulin too when I draw it out of the pod. I know a unit isn’t very big, but I can’t figure out where this stuff hides :slight_smile:

To MidwestMommy and JoJoJovich are you both mentioning that it is possible to withdraw what is left in the pod and insert it in the next one?

When I was discussing this issue with the customer service person from one of the 2 tubeless models, she said the limiting factor was the battery, so I was considering using it until the battery ran out. She had said the battery lasted 8 hours longer than the 72 hours.

Then I thought that maybe the battery would last even longer if there was a minimal use of buttons on the pod attached to the body and if more control were done by the PDA, so maybe it could be stretched to 4 days then the amount of insulin would match what I take.

Every pod is programmed to last 80 hours max. It will deactivate itself at 80 hours and you can’t stretch it.

You don’t have to fill the pod with 200 units if you use less than that over 3 days. I think it requires a minimum of 80? units to fill it.

Yes the Omnipod service rep said 85u and I know the Solo rep said 70u so I was pleading with them to convince their design teams to make a model that has a lower minimum to appeal to children and people on small amounts as I refuse to have to insert a lot more than I use.
So that is why I was asking you if you can actually take the insulin out of an old pod and insert it in the next. I know I do try to get every drop I can out of the penfill cartridges with a syringe at the end, even after getting it to work as far as it will go with the needle tip that is screwed on.
Is that what you were implying that you are doing because if it works, it would be my solution. But you seem to say that you loose some each time. I guess the pod is not clear, under the cover.

+1

There are folks that do that…it is not an FDA approved thing so Omnipod can’t discuss it. I have done it for fresh insulin when a pod has failed during priming (right after I fill it), which is rare. My daughter is a teen, she barely has any insulin left after 3 days so I don’t attempt to draw it out :slight_smile: You probably won’t get every drop out every single time…if that really bothers you take a look at MM or Animas.

I have a MM pump, and there is no minimum. I can fill the reservoir with exactly how much insulin I want to. And the 5xx versions have 150u reservoirs, anyway. The Omnipod is a different issue, about which I have no knowledge.

Not only integrate with the Dexcom, but adjust pump based on CGM data - i.e. an open-loop (user input still required) artificial pancreas. I’m won’t be sold on a pump until that is available. So until then I’m sticking with MDI.

a working pancreas would be the perfect pump or a pump they just put inside you and works on its own? that’d be cool idk howd theyd make that but yeah lol

Can you explain a little more? Seems what you’re asking for is a more accurate CGM. I already adjust my pump, i.e. bolus based on CGM data when I know it’s not going to get me in trouble. The pump (MM) shows me what the CGM is reading, and I bolus from that. Isn’t that what you’re asking for?