Desserts

Another Good Looking Christmas Treat!

Gerri Comment by Gerri yesterday
Thank You Gerri!

I do love Netrition. Here's a wonderful cheesecake recipe. Want to see Judith's also. Cheesecake is the easiest thing to make low carb because it's just substituting the sweetener. It's naturally low carb because it's all fat:)

I don't bother with a water bath. If the top cracks, I put sliced almonds on top, or chocolate ganache.

Cheesecake 10 good sized servings 8 carbs per serving using zero carb sweetener

1 1/2 pounds cream cheese (softened)
1 1/3 cups sugar equivalent (I use a combo of zero carb Fiberfit & erythritol)
5 eggs (room temp)
1 TBS vanilla (or more)
1 TBS fresh lemon juice (or more)
16 ounces sour cream

Crust

2 cups almond flour
4-5 TBS melted butter

Preheat 325

Combine almond meal & melted butter. Press into a springform pan. Line sides about 1 1/2" up the sides of the pan. Set aside.

Beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy. Keep the mixer on a low setting throughout the beating and mixing process. Add the sugar substitute a little at a time and continue beating until creamy. Add one egg at a time and beat after each egg. When eggs have been mixed into the cream cheese, add vanilla and lemon juice, Add the sour cream last until just blended in.

Pour cream cheese mixture into the springform pan. Place on the top rack in the middle of a 325 degree preheated oven for 1 hour 15 minutes.

DO NOT open the oven while baking, this might make it crack. When time is up, turn off the oven and prop open the oven door. Leave in oven for 1 hour. After one hour, remove from oven. Run a knife around the edge of the cheesecake, so if it shrinks while cooling it will not crack at that time either. Let cool to just about room temperature before the cheesecake is put into the refrigerator for 24 hours.

A cheesecake needs to ripen for 24 hours to be good.

Gerri Comment by Gerri yesterday

No one will guess these are low carb. 7 carbs for the entire recipe! I brought a pile to a friend, a picky foodie friend, & she raved. They melt in your mouth & are so pretty. The raw cookie dough is good, too:)

Recipe is from DarDream's blog.

Recipe below is using a larger pizzelle maker than I have. I get 30+ using the smaller shaped griddle. The combo of Splenda & erythritol is awesome. No artificial after-taste when they're used together. Erythritol is expensive, but only a small amount is needed. It's 70% as sweet as sugar, Sift it with a strainer before using because it tends to clump in the package, or grind to powder in a coffee grinder (takes 2 secs).

Pizzelle maker I have http://www.amazon.com/Cucina-Pro-Pizzelle-Baker/dp/B00387DCUM/ref=s... They also have one that makes larger pizzelle that can be rolled around a dowel, that comes with it, to make cones that can be stuffed all kinds of delish fillings.

Without a pizzelle maker, I'm sure they can be rolled thin between waxed paper & baked on a baking sheet with parchment paper.

PIZZELLE-- makes 16-30, 7 carbs entire recipe
1/2 cup salted butter, melted
1 large egg
1 tablespoon Fiberfit liquid Splenda (ordered from www.netrition.com, very concentrated a bottle lasts a long time)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cup powdered erythritol (ordered from netrition.com)
3/4 cup vanilla whey isolate protein powder (if you don't have vanilla flavored, add more vanilla extract)
3/4 cup almond meal
1/4 cup WPI 5000 (wheat isolate protein ordered from netrition.com)
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat the pizzelle baker. Oil it lightly for the first batch only . I use the butter leftover in the pot from melting the 1/2 cup.

Whisk the egg into the melted butter.
Whisk in the Fiberfit.
Whisk in the vanilla.
Whisk in the erythritol.
With a spoon, stir in whey protein, almond meal, WPI & salt.
Let the dough sit for a few minutes to firm up a little. It should be a dough, not a batter.
Roll into balls about 1" or slightly smaller depending on the size of the pizzelle maker.
Put a ball in the center of each pizzelle form in the baker.
Close the lid, lock it, and check the pizzelle after about 20-30 seconds. These cook very quickly; you want them golden, not dark brown.

With a spatula, remove the pizzelle gently to a wire rack to cool. If desired, roll the pizzelle into a cone or cylinder shape or push down into an oiled bowl for a bowl shape. The pizzelle will be soft at first, but will get crisper the longer they cool.

Judith Comment by Judith yesterday
I Love cookies all year long! Deb~

Here's the recipe from TuD's very own Gerri, plus the variations I've tried. It occurs to me that with a little food coloring, you'd have Christmas cookies, too! I copied this from the old group REcipe Exchange where you can also find my walnut cake and cheesecake recipes.

Gerri’s Low Carb Almond "Sugar" Cookies

1 1/4 cups almond flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 cup Splenda (I use 1 tsp stevia--much less needed)
1/4 lb butter at room temp
1 large egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
dash cinnamon
Additional Splenda for sprinkling on top of cookies (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, or use a non-stick baking sheet (I, Judith, haven't done this, being a lazy baker!).

Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder & sweetener together. Blend in remaining ingredients until mixed well. Form into 1" balls, place on baking sheet & flatten with a fork. Sprinkle with Splenda (or wait until after baking to try variations).

Bake for 8 minutes, or until set, but not brown. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes & then move to a wire rack to cool. In my oven, it took 10-11 minutes.

Sorry, can't find the carb count for these, but it's low. It's just the carb count for the almond meal & 1 carb for the egg.

Judith’s Variations:

You can get a few of each of these out of a double batch if you divide the dough. Or bake up separate batches.

1. Melt about 1oz of carb-neutral Vivani 85% dark chocolate with a Tbsp or so of butter. Drizzle a bit on each cookie after baking and cooling a bit.
2. Stir some of the above chocolate into dough directly. Add a little extra almond flour if it feels too thin at this point. Bake as before.
3. Mix in a bunch of unsweetened coconut flakes and stick a few in the top to get toasty as they bake.
4. Play with adding slivered almonds, same as with the coconut.

And you can mix and match all these variations for a chocolate/coconut/almond YumYum!

NOTE: I may make them a little large. But for me (Judith), a double recipe makes 2 dozen cookies..

I also just figured out a great low carb Snickerdoodle if anyone is interested........

Simple Chocolate Yogurt Dessert

Not quite sure, mixing three ingredients counts as a recipe, however, there's goodness in quick and easy. Mixing plain yogurt and pure cocoa just isn't satisfying for me, the flax adds a bit of nutty sweetness to round out the flavor.

Simple Chocolate Yogurt Dessert
Per Serving:

1/2 cup greek yogurt
1 teaspoon cocoa
1 tablespoon finely ground flax seed

Mix all ingredients together, serve or keep chilled.

Nutrition info per 1/2 cup serving*
Calories - 153
Total Fat - 7g
Saturated Fat - 1g
Cholesterol - 7g
Sodium - 55g
Total Carbs - 9g
Fiber - 5g
Sugars - 4g
Protein - 14g

*Nutrition based on Chobani Plain 2% Low-fat Greek Yogurt