Dexcom Acquires TypeZero Technologies

TypeZero enhances Dexcom’s offering with tools to simplify diabetes management

SAN DIEGO–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Aug. 22, 2018-- DexCom, Inc. (NASDAQ:DXCM), the leader in continuous glucose monitoring for people with diabetes, announced today that it has acquired TypeZero Technologies, Inc. (“TypeZero”). TypeZero’s offering includes the inControl diabetes management system, designed to provide personalized diabetes management solutions including technology to automatically adjust and regulate insulin delivery.

Dexcom, TypeZero and the University of Virginia have had a longstanding, productive relationship in developing important technologies for diabetes management, including inControl for integration with both automated insulin delivery (“AID”) and smart pens. The companies share a consistent vision to improve the lives of people with diabetes through innovation.

“As the first iCGM designated by the FDA, Dexcom again has the opportunity to lead the market for integrated systems for diabetes management. TypeZero is a great fit for Dexcom as we look to deliver a growing set of tools to both our insulin delivery partners and our customers,” said Steve Pacelli, Dexcom’s Executive Vice President of Strategy & Corporate Development. “Combined with best-in-class CGM technology, we believe TypeZero’s technology and strong team will accelerate our efforts to further differentiate Dexcom’s portfolio.”

READ MORE HERE: https://dexcom.gcs-web.com/news-releases/news-release-details/dexcom-acquires-typezero-technologies

2 Likes

Is this for working with Tandem?

And what is a “smart pen”?

Is Tandem next? Seems like they have 2 of the 3 pieces(cgm, algorithm) of the pie.

Tandem would totally make sense.

However.

(always a catch)

Dexcom has clearly stated they are not interested in acquiring Tandem. This was in response to questions on the conference call subsequent to Dexcom purchasing approximately 5% of the outstanding stock during the recent Feb public offering of Tandem stock.

Further, Dexcom has partnerships with multiple companies. They have publicly disclosed relationships with Tandem, Insulet/Omnipod and Lilly. There is every reason to believe there is at least one more relationship (and possibly more) which are not publicly disclosed. (Based on comments from the CEO).

If Dexcom were to entirely acquire Tandem, it likely would cause significant harm to those other relationships possibly to the degree of those companies choosing to partner with one of the other cgm companies.

Therefore, I do not see it probable for Dexcom to acquire Tandem.

thanks for the link, Tim. I’m skeptical that basal adjustments are going to be the best answer for keeping bg’s in line via CGM data. Current insulins are STILL TOO slow to make meaningful differences in bg’s (when given subq) and given that CGM data is 10-20 minutes behind, AND not perfectly accurate, I think there is going to be a lot of users unhappy with the results.

1 Like

The other pump companies are not going move from Dexcom to Medtronic CGM. I guess they could move to the Libre, but isn’t Abbott going to snatch up Bigfoot soon?

I believe Tandem also has a tubeless pump in the works so maybe OmniPod isn’t such a concern.

Just seems like timing might be right.

@Dave44 - You may be pleased to know that both Medtronic and Tandem would appear to agree with you. Both companies are working on automated bolus (in conjunction with automated basal) to bring down high BG using algorithms that are capable of more than only basal adjustments.

Tandem plans to release their approach which will be called the Control-IQ (formerly HCL or Hybrid Closed Loop) algorithm.

The system predicts high and low blood sugar levels and adjusts insulin delivery accordingly throughout the day, while still allowing the user to manually bolus for meals. In addition to basal insulin adjustments, TypeZero’s inControl system also automates correction boluses.

The Tandem Control-IQ will be a remote update (user installed at home) to the existing Tandem t:slim X2 pump. The related clinical trial NCT03563313 has an estimated study completion date of of April 2019. Tandem is forecasting for this update to be approved, launched and available to the customer in Summer of 2019.

= = = = = =

(Disclaimer - I am not as familiar with Medtronic so feel free to correct this if I get something wrong here.)
Medtronic plans to release their approach in their next generation pump, the 690G.

This study will compare the FDA-approved hybrid closed loop system by Medtronic (670G) to a next-generation Medtronic system programmed to further improve glucose control, particularly around mealtime, which is currently one of the biggest challenges with all hybrid closed loop systems.

The related clinical trial NCT03040414 has an estimated study completion date of of June 2020.

The t:sport. Not tubeless but rather very short tube. No user interface on the pump. Entirely remote controlled. Estimated availability is 2020 or 2021. Completely new hardware platform as compared to the X2.

1 Like

Good to know👍

I read that one can bolus from the t:sport. " and will include an on-pump bolus button "

Nice. Makes sense. Like the quick bolus button on the current t:slim X2. I would assume functions in the same manner.

Although I am doubtful it gets much use, it is a nice option to have available.

Haven’t heard anything about this for a good while. I wonder how long it will take before Novo joins the game?

The latest OpenAPS algorithm Oref1 uses SMBs (supermicroboluses) which address the safety considerations of bolusing using a closed loop by dividing the bolus doses up into small packets (0.1-0.5U) and administering them over several 5 min intervals. As an additional safety factor, basal is reduced to 0% whilst SMBs are being administered. I know several people using Fiasp plus OpenAPS Oref1, or its AndroidAPS implementation that can get away with no meal bolus or carb announcement even with a moderate carb meal. Dana Lewis is on record to say that she has not given a meal bolus or counted/logged carbs for several months with only relatively small post meal BG excursions.

deleted

About 2000 people are using one of the DIY closed loops. Many people “soak” their sensors, inserting the new sensor whilst the current one is still running and then leaving them for 24 hours with an old/dummy transmitter fitted before switching. This avoids inaccuracy on day 1. Obviously if looping you cannot run your sensor close to EOL.

Additional safety considerations - Basal recommendations are updated every 5 mins and are enacted for a maximum of 30 mins. All systems shut down closed loop and revert to programmed pump basals in the event of loss of communications/signal, problems with the app freezing or stopping. Any erroneous recommendations are therefore short lived (30 mins maximum) Latest algorithms that apply SMB (microboluses) rely on using filtered data and constantly check sensor noise levels in xDrip - shutting down recommendations if noise is high.

Current MARD figures show that Dexcom G5 is superior to Medtronic Guardian. G6 is even better - and Medtronic have FDA approval to use Guardian in the 670G.