Dexcom for a super active child?

Hello -

I'm new to this site but I'm hoping to find someone who has an active child who uses a Dexcom. My son is 9 - dx a year ago in April. He's been on a pump for over a year and he is extremely active. He plays baseball, football, wrestles and runs. His doctor has recommended an CGM because he is so active, but that is one of our main concerns - whether or not the sensor will stay on with all of his activity. Additionally - he only wears his infusion site on his buttocks and adding yet another piece of hardware to that small area of "real estate" may be problematic too. He's very muscular with not a lot of body fat so we don't have a lot of options.

I know that the FDA hasn't approved the CGM for use in peds but our doctor has put a lot of her peds patients on them.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I think that a CGM (in my case Dexcom) is the most valuable diabetes management tool currently available. This would be especially true for a child who is active as the CGM will monitor his/her glucose throughout those activities and alert the wearer to dangerous trends allowing them to respond before adverse lows or highs occur. Now that long-acting basal insulins are available to mimic the steady rates of absorption that a pump provides, doctors should start children on CGMs beforeadvising adoption of the pump. I have been using multiple daily injections(MDI)for over 30 years and have maintained normal A1C levels throughout that time with the help of frequent testing and adjustments. So if your son does not have enough "real estate" for both pump and sensor, perhaps he could return to MDI and have only the sensor for hardware. You can respond to trends with either pump or needle only if you know what those trends are, hence having the most information possible available to you is the best tool for a long, healthy life. Although I am an adult, I am also very active, playing sports with children daily and also doing cross-country skiing and/or trail work on a daily basis. He may occasionally yank a sensor, but all the while that they remain in, he will be a safer kid for wearing it!

GO FOR IT! My daughter has had one for almost a year now! her a1c is the same as before 7.1 to 7.5 range, but she has so much more time! Testing now two to three times a day instead of 8 to 10, and the information is so helpful! Kennedy has never lost a dex if we secure it right!

There's this stuff called Opsite Flexifix, surgical tape, that I had recommended by another DOC member back in 2008 when I got my pump. I'd signed up for 2x 1/2 marathons in 2 weeks. At the first, the Medtronic product lasted about 3 miles and then it ripped out so I was back to my meter. I asked around online and got the tip and Opsite is awesome! I've kept running and, after some of the hot summer runs, there's quite a bit of sweat piled up under the tape and I'll lance it with a lancet but the sensor sticks *and* keeps working! It comes in a roll (I'd get the 4"...) and lasts a pretty long time, even if it's $30.

Here's a link to one place I've scored it.

Skintac works for me and it has stayed on through pretty much everything from swimming, to lifting to football. I also sometimes use a product called Hydrofilm which provides a barrier adhesive tape on the Dexcom and that has helped in addition to the Skintac when needed. The Skintac works well for the infusion sites and it helped me with all those same sports but you just can't put the Dexcom sensor part through the adhesive and there are ways around that.

On another note you need to make sure you rotate your infusion sites like you would your injections. Try the lower back or rotate around to the side of the thigh as that worked or me. The only area that did not work for me was the abdomen area. If you don't rotate your sites you can get lipohypertrophy in those areas and the insulin will saturate the tissue and not work as well.