Dexcom G4/G5 holdouts

Until recently I was Dexcom G4 and my distributor was Homelink (I think they are in Wisconsin). Durable Medical Equipment & O&P Supplies | VGM HOMELINK
My G4 is 11 years old and NOT under warranty. I don’t think any G4’s are under warranty.

My new G6 distributor is an actual, physical pharmacy.

Depends on the definition of “under warranty”. Three components to the Dexcom system: Receiver, Transmitter and Sensor.

My take on “Dexcom Under Warranty” is to refer to the transmitter.

3 Likes

@tiaE. IMHO, Dexcom will have to support the G5 for at least 2 more years since there is a pump integration and not all users will be allowed to update to the G6 because of insurance. My guess is the G5 will be available in some way here in the US through the end of 2021 which coincides with the anticipated release of the G7.

5 Likes

And I believe G4 share receivers can be upgraded to read from G5 transmitter.
Even though I would rather stay on G4 transmitter. G4/G5 sensors are same for both.

I just started 2nd G4/G5 sensor, expired 4/10/2019. Used previous one for 13 days, have 2 more from same box. They keep on ticking !!

1 Like

@MM1. I personally think the older sensors are better because you can run them longer before the oxidase fails. Sensors manufactured late 2018 and early 2019 definitely do not last nearly as long as the older ones did from what I have experienced.

Yeah. There was a definite change (for the worse) in the sensors about summer of 2018.

I keep hoping we see a change for the better at some point with the sensors.

Nothing compares to you, ancient Dexcom G4 without Share functionality. I miss you so much.

1 Like

I would be greatly surprised if we saw a change in sensor life duration for the better customer-wise going forward because it interrupts their recurring revenue model.

Me and my G4 were together for 11 years. I am super tough on hardware. It never broke. It was tough and indestructible like an old fashioned refrigerator. I used to crash and do somersaults while skiing and it would occasionally fly across the icy hill and smash into a tree. Still works. Try that with a G6. Try smashing a fluffy little G6 into a tree and seeing if it still works.

G4 is the tough guy of medical devices. One of the best medical devices ever invented, according to a destroyer of medical devices. - YouTube

I didn’t even go near the State Fair this year. I fully expect BT comm to be rendered useless there. You don’t bring a knife to a gunfight.

Not understanding why your having the issues your having.
I’ve been with the same supplier sense Nov 2017.
Suggest you contract Advanced Diabetes Supply in Carlsbad Ca. 866 416 8088. Toll free
Also on the web at. Customercare@northcoastmed.com

I have just received confirmation 9/6/2019 from Dexcom direct that my G5 supplies for September are on their way so they are still shipping US G5 direct orders:

|1|STS-MC-004 - G5 Medicare Sensor Kit 4-Pack, Dexcom|
|1|STS-MC-001 - G5 Medicare Sensor Kit 1-Pack, Dexcom|
|3|301937308505 - Contour Next Blood Glucose Test Strips|

I did not include tracking number here

1 Like

I ran into a Dexcom rep at my Endo’s office on Tuesday. I asked about the G7, he said he doesn’t know much right now and they’re gearing up for the G6 release to Medicare patients for right now. According to him, the rollout will start slowly in October and ramp up in November. This is good news for Medicare patients.

Why? Does misery love company? :grinning: With all the G6 nuisances I read about I am perfectly happy to stay with G5 until either all is smooth sailing with the G6 or G7 is introduced.

1 Like

Suit yourself. Those that have a Tandem pump will be happy, especially with control-iq around the corner.

I’m content hanging back with the G4, but you’re right about the Medicare people with a Tandem pump who’re kept from even using the Basal-IQ function of their pump, much less the anticipated Control-IQ.

With the mixed reviews of the G6, I’m unsure whether I’m going to be thrilled or disappointed with its performance. I’ll certainly give it a whirl when it appears.

2 Likes

Can you still get transmitters for the G4? My Tandem rep said basal-iq and control-iq will be included in the update. Depending on which algorithm you want to use, it’s a matter of activating it on the pump. Yes, I think you should at least try the G6 to see if it’s going to work for you.

I don’t know if Dexcom is still producing the G4 transmitters since I lost insurance coverage for them on January 1, 2019 and didn’t try to reorder. I did get the batteries replaced in one of my dead G4 transmitters so hopefully I can get some service out of that unit.

I’m coming up on the 9-month service time on my current transmitter and will likely replace the batteries in that transmitter when it runs out of juice.

I’m happy to read about the success people are enjoying with the Tandem systems and hope that this success will continue with the Control-IQ upgrade.

I will continue to use Loop as it’s produced for me the best control I’ve ever had with much less effort than before.

Use whatever works best for you, brother. I love the Tandem basal-iq. I hope control-iq is as phenomenal as they say it is. There was a member here stating he could replace the batteries in the Dexcom transmitters last week. I’ll try to find his post for you.

I spoke with the Dexcom regional manager last Thursday and he said the discontinuation date for the G5 isn’t set in stone, but will depend in large part on Medicare approval for G6. He said to expect G5 to be discontinued sometime in 2020. Suspect you’re right about maintaining support for in-warranty customers for some period thereafter.