DEXCOM G6 waste

Did you replace or swap out the ballasts? Or just get compatible tubes and plug them in to the existing installations?

I bought all new LED fixtures (with tubes) from Home Depot when they first began carrying them ($50 a pop). Then they stopped carrying them which was unfortunate as they are a very reliable brand. I tried one from Costco and that was a mistakeā€“I had to return it because it quickly stopped working. Iā€™ve bought quite a few inferior products from Costco, AAMOF. Flashlights and other electronics that donā€™t work well. I think Iā€™ve had no less than a 1/2 dozen flashlights go bad. The problem is in the endcap where the switch is locatedā€“itā€™s got electronics in it which are quite flaky. Even the ones labelled Duracell are very cheap Chinese (IIRC) junk. Not to say that I donā€™t also have some Chinese-made products that are excellent, but those Costco flashlights of which I have bought many models, all turn out to be unreliable.

1 Like

Interesting comment stream. When I lived in Orlando FL, the fire department provided sharps containers for syringes/needles and you took filled containers, along with things like my infusion set and G5 inserters back to the fire station.

Fast forward to after my move to Tennessee. I spent two weeks trying to find out ehat to do with my sharps, etc. the best answer I got was to put them into my trash. As far as recycling them, the answer was ā€œI donā€™t know. Go ahead if you want.ā€ Things are a little laid back here.

Some pharmacies or hospitals will accept them, if in a sharps container.

I go with the Old maxim: Use it up , wear it out , make it do or do without.

Beyond that, canā€™t fix the system!

Just got the G6. The huge use of indestructible plastic for the insertion device --which takes about 5 seconds to use before chucking and is a totally unnecessary remake of the G5 insertion deviceā€“makes me think of going back to fingersticks. Why would a company like Dexcom be so out of touch with the planet? A plunger was just as good as a button. A sensor is a lifeline for someone living alone and with brittle T1D, but who is worth all that waste for a completely unnecessary remodel?

2 Likes

Send my your sensors. Iā€™d love to have extras. I will send you (literally) 1,000 strips in exchange for at least 2 sensors.

3 Likes

You should also use glass syringes and boil them, instead of the wasteful plastic ones that are thrown out.

2 Likes

I agree that Dexcom could do better. A reusable inserter doesnā€™t seem like a difficult thing to produce.

Iā€™ve read, however, that the volume of plastic used in the G6 single use inserter is equivalent to the G4/G5 single use inserters ā€” it just occupies more space and calls attention to its waste.

I donā€™t use plastic syringes.

Agree. It would be interesting to know where you read that these inserters are comparable as far as plastic use. I will check with the company and see if they will divulge if you donā€™t recall. The heft, size, type of plastic are significantly different. The new is finely engineered butā€¦to just chuck it after 5 seconds is galling to me.

1 Like

I agree G6 has a lot of waste. I think we will all be pleasantly supprised when G7 is Launched in 2021.

I think what they were trying to do was extend viability of G6 to patient groups that donā€™t want to see needles or have the sense they are inserting something. Something as simple as ā€œstick it and click itā€. Unfortuently doing that you end up with a lot of waste.

1 Like

I follow many sources for diabetes info, including podcasts. Iā€™ve heard Dexcom leadership interviewed on a few podcasts (Scott Bennerā€™s Juicebox podcast and Stacey Simmsā€™ Diabetes Connections).

Iā€™m sorry I canā€™t remember the specific source and looking more closely at this issue now makes me doubt that the G4/G5 inserter is equivalent in waste to the G6. I took out and weighed the two devices and the G6, at 100 grams total weight (sensor + inserter) is about 4x the 26 gram total weight of the G4/G5.

This issue has been raised many times over the last two years from many users. Hereā€™s diaTribeā€™s Kelly Close and Adam Brown in May 2018 noting this.

• The new applicator creates a lot of plastic waste (ā€œthrow this whole thing away?ā€) and there is no recycling program available at this stage.

Dexcom has improved the lives of many people with diabetes over the years but we need to let them know where they can improve. As @Jim26 has written, the G7 will likely produce much less waste.

While I think the environment should be treated with due respect, we need to remain cognizant that these products lead to better health and that benefit needs to be recognized in this context as well.

Thanks for your response! I will ask Dexcom if they can do anything about the waste. Their product is truly life changing.

LOL! Let me know how THAT goes. In the meantime, Iā€™m upping my offer to 2,000 strips for 3 sensors.

1 Like

For me, I agree it is a bit much, but the G6 inserter works SO MUCH BETTER for me, I almost donā€™t care!
I had issues with the G5 inserter being pretty painful most of the time, and with that, I couldnā€™t always get the angle correct.
I donā€™t have either problem with the G6! I easily hit the angle I need, consistantly! And there is little to no pain.
It does take more to pack these for a trip though!

Thatā€™s the part that bugs me: the volume and weight that they take up. Because they could fail, I wouldnā€™t want to take just one for a week trip for example.

Totally agreed. I used to pack two in my laptop bag so it never left my side while traveling. Not so much room now with the G6!

I do a carry-on bag for medical stuff, snacks and misc. Because so much stuff goes into that bag we have to do a check-in bag as well.

I assume this means a non-removable transmitter which, if true, is indeed a terrible idea with regard to battery waste

1 Like