Dexcom phone app Medicare

Funny thing is, I need the LOUDER alarms I can set on my phone - the receiver wakes my wife, but rarely wakes me…

My S7’s vibration isn’t even 1/4 as strong as the vibrations in the G5 receiver, Thas. And I sure am not going to have my S7 attached at my waistband during the day, or while in bed.

Oh, I agree – though I have the G4 – that’s why I use both: phone and receiver. Each provided a piece of the pie (though my S8+'s vibration is pretty strong…)

i think the frequency of the S7’s vibration is far too high and of too low of an amplitude to be very noticeable. The G5 vibration is of a totally different, and more noticeable nature (lower frequency, for sure, and quite a bit more amplitude)

I use the buzz. Light wakes us…mostly my forever guy. He gets me to take action.

The restriction is because of the FDA, which apparently approves based on hardware, and hasn’t a clue that they should be looking at software. The question of whether this app runs on my current OS is not one they consider.

Of course, neither is the receiver. My last one was at least as prone to BT dropouts as the phone app.

T’other thing that’s so wrong-headed about this rule (and yes, I get the thing about durable medical goods, but even so…) is that it rules out the Dexcom Share feature, which you’d think would be one of the most valuable features for caregivers of elderly persons.

Why are you trying to apply common sense and logic, DrBB? You will only confuse the issue. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Don’t kid yourself it isn’t free. Think of all those Medicare Tax payments you made over your 30+ year working life.

think if I didn’t pay for the AARP insurance. :slight_smile: then I wouldn’t say I’m getting this stuff for “free”, as I would be saddled with a co-pay. I could be wrong, but I think that would be 20% of the Medicare contracted price.

Look at it this way: if I didn’t get a G5, I would miss out on the “free” aspect of having it and all it’s ongoing supplies. And I would still have paid the same amount in premiums for my insurance and Medicare coverage. So there.

I think of things in that category as:

“At No Additional Charge”

:grinning:

medicare doesnt cover the phone app. you’ll only be able to use the receiver that it comes with.

I’m now on my second month with the G5 and it’s touch screen receiver, and, you know, it’s pretty convenient really. Also have to say it has been relatively accurate, most of the time. Only one or two surprises in that time. :swimming_man::running_man::guitar::sailboat: Happy camper!

A phrase I’ll try to remember. Very true

This is my 5th week on the G5, first 4 weeks were a mess with many gross and random readings that were resolved by properly hydrating myself.

As a Medicare user my initial thought was to go the xdrip/smartwatch route so I could continually monitor my blood sugar.

I have been rethinking that approach as I can see that this thing has the potential to become a compulsive activity.

I don’t want to be like a person on a scenic road trip that spends all his time looking at the fuel have and missing the trip.

To the degree it’s possible, I would like monitoring of this thing to be as far in the background as I can put it. I want as much as my life back as possible.

Hopefully I can achieve a balance between the benefits CGM and an active life over the coming months. Perhaps I"'ll reconsider the xdrip/watch at that time.

Actually, I find that being able to see my BG on my watch makes it EASIER and takes away less of my life then digging the pump/receiver out to look at it.
It also makes it a LOT easier to make small changes ahead of time to smooth out the BG roller coaster that we all ride at times.

I have thought about this issue a lot. I am the type of person who prefers easy access to my up-to-the-minute blood glucose situation. I used to fingerstick about 15x/day. Some people, including some of my medical providers thought that that was compulsive.

I didn’t and don’t see it that way. All those fingersticks and attention that I paid to my BG numbers over the years have given me an unparalleled education about how my glucose metabolism works. All those efforts have improved my blood glucose control and materially improved my quality of life.

I’m glad that I resisted changing my attitude based on those outside judgments because I think they’re short-sighted. People judging my blood sugar habits did not have to live with the consequences of not paying close enough attention to my BG status. Many of us have lived through episodes where a low BG threatened our safety and forced us to endure deep social embarrassment.

Deciding how to allocate your time and attention is a personal choice we all make. I don’t find monitoring a vital life function like blood glucose as a compulsive or inconsequential behavior. It’s kind of like a blind person who uses a walking cane. Their constant attention to the feedback they get is not obsessive to me since it allows them to move through the world in a useful way. It’s productive. I also think that any time spent monitoring BGs is productive as well and it doesn’t use nearly the bandwidth of a blind cane user.

I"m sure every diabetic has had to draw the line somewhere between outright ignoring the disease and being outright compulsive in its management.

This is my 80th year on this planet, over 50 of them being a type 1 and for many of those years testing 10 times a day.

During those years I have adapted new technology and methods as they have become available and they have improved and extended my life.

With CGM I look at how can this technology make my life more fulfilling and how can I accommodate it in the least invasive way possable. Initially it appears that my time in range and lower a1c should be possible with minimal effort an distraction.

As I learn more and become confident with the stock Deacon set up I may explore the xdrip world.

Even the most casual utilization of CGM is world’s away from when I started this journey with 4 injections per day with 3 different insulin types, and poor blood test options.

Lots of ways to deal with this thing, different technologies and different objectives as well as different life stages.

It appears that I was “preaching to the choir” in my previous comment. I can only hope to remain as cognitively sharp as you are now when I reach that milestone.

Dexcom knows and reports. Check topics for info. I’ve asked