Diabetes and work

Thanks Kathryn. I’ll definitely look into that.

1 Like

@Natalie1993, How is that - being a diabetic police officer? Would you consider writing a post about your experience? Its interesting to me because I, personally, always felt uneasy about driving for a living (that’s more because of epilepsy, but its also partially because of diabetes, I think). I didn’t drive when I was an EMT. I managed to get around it and wouldn’t take jobs where I definitely had to drive. It was OK because most everybody else liked to drive.

I always think that the best police were medics first because they have a better paradigm for strange stuff that goes on in peoples bodies and minds that contributes to unusual events taking place. I think I was a better EMT because I was more empathetic to that stuff because of my own illnesses. Some people that I worked with had that intuitive understanding and some didn’t. But, I bet that it is rarer with police. Do you think being a diabetic makes you a better officer? Why did you become a cop and not a medic? Are you type II?

One unfortunate thing about living in Canada is that if you have a single hypoglycemia incident and the medical profession hears about it, they will have your driver’s license cancelled as soon as they can. They generally have absolutely no understanding of how patients can avoid hypoglycemia while driving by taking precautions before getting behind the wheel, and instead exhibit a sickeningly sadistic eagerness to deny patients one of the essential capacities of modern life.

1 Like

@Seydlitz, wow! The whole country is like that? I did not know. Holy cow!

Wow another veteran of like mind!! 44 years for me with zero complications also. Follow the same rule with FMLA. How do you handle the days where working around the BG issues is unproductive? Do you call in “sick” per se? My FMLA requires a check-in/report in 2 days but since I haven’t had to report in for it yet, I’m still checking into ways to make it work to my advantage. Thanks for posting this!!

I have used it so infrequently that when I have it has never been an issue. I have never used it for low blood sugar issues except for driving. I have a few for highs that won’t quit. I just call in & state I’m taking a FMLA day. The only paperwork I do is once a year. I have never, ever used all the hours I am allowed. Not sure if this helps. I will say, it’s nice to have it if I need it!

I am not sure this is accurate. While I live in the US now, I am Canadian and lived in Canada until 49 years old, including 12 years as a type 1 diabetic. My primary care physician and my endocrinologist were both aware that I did have occasional hypoglycemic incidents (none while driving, though, I always tested and tried to let my bg run a bit higher if I knew I would be on the road for a while) and I never had any problems with renewing my DL. I found them supportive and encouraging and they definitely helped me to continue to live my life to its fullest which included hobbies such as historical re-enactments and primitive camping. I am sorry you have had bad experiences but in general, most of my doctors have always been helpful about how I can live my life fully and without restrictions. Of course, a lot of this depends upon me being responsible and knowledgeable as well, and I know they were also aware of that so that may be why they were so supportive.

1 Like

@Seydlitz - I just read your post from June and wondered what dosage of benfotiamine you’re taking? I’ve been taking it for 6 months or so for a motor neuropathy not related to my diabetes, but can only find 80mg capsules locally

75% of diabetics are deficient in B vitamins, primarily B1 (benfotiamine is a synthetic derivative of thiamine aka vitamin B1)

The Most Important Nutrient for Diabetics: Benfotiamine