Diabetes Blog 2016, Tips and Tricks

Let’s round out the week by sharing our best diabetes tips and diabetes tricks…

NUMBER 1 TIP is to have a great doctor and a great support team! My support team must include companion animals.

1. If you are taking insulin, you are probably already aware of the importance of bolusing at the “correct” time. Each of us PWDs has our own “correct” time. I absolutely need to pre-bolus in the morning (about 30 min.); and then I eat lightly in the afternoon, just token boluses around the time of eating. In the evening for dinner, I want to look at my food and bolus the right amount for the number of carbs just as I begin to eat. I have slow digestion, so I find that pre-bolusing for a protein-rich dinner is not advisable. This evening routine is especially important for restaurant eating–I do not bolus until I see exactly what I’m being served–catastrophe averted.

2. I’m on Multiple Daily Injections (MDI), using Levemir and Apidra pens. During the winter when my digestion is really slow, I use Levemir, Regular from a vial for dinner, and Apidra for bolusing and corrections during the rest of the day. Fortunately my insurance does not mind my using all three insulins I never did like pen needles, so instead I remove the insulin from BD 1/2 unit syringes and then inject. The 1/2 unit syringes are not commonly available, but a pharmacy can order them for you. I love the 1/2 unit possibility for injecting, which makes one’s management a little closer to the precision of using a pump.

3. Try not to sweat the small stuff! You’ll soon get another chance…

Thanks Karen Graffeo, for another great Diabetes Blog Week. See you all in May 2017, if not before!

3 Likes

Great suggestions, I referred your blog to the TUDiabertes blog page for the week of May 16, 2016.

2 Likes