Diabetes Chronic Illness or Chronic Condition?

The condition of your condition is this! I don’t have a chronic disease, but I do have a chronic PITA (pain in the Ass)!!

Oh no sorry, that was just a painful injection!

I look on it as an condition, or a bodily malfunction! For the most part it is just a bit of an organisational nuiscance, but I confess I do have a bit of a grumble when it is going wrong, like now. I get frustrated, but try and use humour to get past that and I have been known to comment when I am hypo - “I quite like this condition. The treatment can be pleasant!”

Dis - ease! That is what disease means. Something that causes us to be ill at ease, anxious, tired, thirsty, could make us blind or cause us to lose limbs … Thankfully it is not catching or infections. But what is in a name?

Hello Ananymous:

Call me sick, call it an illness, (it is certainly chrinic regardless) call me anything you want… I AM DIABETIC and it is never pretty, nor blissful.

Stuart

I like your term “condition”. My inquisitive four-year-old son has been asking questions about the things taped to my belly lately, and I never could think of a word other than “disease”, which sounds even worse than a condition!

Yes, Diabetes-the-chronic-disease, along with all the other chronic autoimmune diseases I have, all treatable but not (yet) curable. I guess each one of them causes it’s own condition, but in the end they are all diseases to be dealt with.

Its amazing what kids can process and understand. My four year ols and 2 year old will ask if I took my shot usually followed by “You have to take a shot so you can eat and not get sick” if I am snacking my 4 yr old will ask if I feel ok or tell me"{insert sugary treat} will make you sick if you don’t take a shot". my 2 yr old is my shot and testing buddy she likes to watch the numbers pop up on my meter and push the plunger on my shots.

My oldest has asked a few times if when she grows up will she have to take shots like daddy and Mimi(my mother). Thats always a hard one to explain to her.

I tend to use the term “disease” – but then again, I’m a 54-year-old T2 and most of the time I don’t feel very well – I’m not a 21-year-old marathon runner and sky-diver!

My joints ache, my eyes are blurry, I get tired very easily, I can’t walk very fast, I don’t sleep very well at all, I’m chronically depressed, small wounds take six times longer to heal than they used to, I’m covered with bruises from all my injections, my hair is brittle, my thyroid is puffy, I have bags under my eyes, I carp and whine like a grumpy old lady unless I’m giving everyone the silent treatment – I generally feel like crap compared to how I felt at 34, much less at 14 when I was an amazing Amazon warrior princess…LOL.

Such is life in the not-so-fast-anymore lane: I’m 54 going on 94. How much of this is diabetes is hard to say, but “healthy” I’m not.

You’re also smart, accomplished, funny, honest & a classical guitarist. Bet you’re twice as wonderful as you were at 21. Some people were never Amazon warrior princesses.

Thank you, dear heart. You’re a treasure.

I honestly think of it as a disease. Let’s face it, our pancreas is being attacked by our own bodies – an autoimmune disease. And, while I may function I do have limitations because of this disease. Even when I take care of myself, ■■■■ can happen and I could die from the fact that I have this thing.

Sorry, I just can’t sugar coat it. (no pun intended, ha ha)