Diabetes, Diet and Shame

In today’s NYT Opinion pages:

Thoughts?

1 Like

This is a terrific article, well-written, powerful and heartfelt. The TuDiabetes community is no stranger to Ms. Solomon’s experience. My first reaction was I wanted to reach out to her to join us.

1 Like

My thought as well–I sent in a comment to that effect but I can’t quite tell if comments are active on this piece.

Two particular things struck me as reasons why she needs to be participating in the DOC if she isn’t already:

• “Diabetes demands perfection, and I am the most imperfect person I know.”
    We all know that feeling, but taking that standard too literally leads to burnout. One message that’s very consistent among the DOC sites I’ve visited is that we can strive for “better,” but perfect ain’t gonna happen.
  • Given the description of her extreme carb sensitivity and her difficulty getting into an acceptable BG range even by essentially starving herself, I can’t help wondering if she was ever actually tested for antibodies etc. or did they just assume T2. She says she was dx’d at age 22, and overweight and her description of her struggles sounds all too reminiscent of people who were originally mis-diagnosed T2 just because they weren’t “juvenile”–amazing how stubborn that preconception is in a medical community that should know better (kinda the whole reason for using “T1” instead–or was that just a dream I had?). Again, a phenomenon you might not be aware of–I certainly wasn’t–without being involved in sites like this with whole long-running threads devoted to it.
3 Likes

comments now seem to be enabled. not sure if this is a good thing, as most of the comments so far are of the “do this, it will reverse your diabetes” ilk. arg.

Agree with everything said here. It is beautifully written, she does belong here, and she absolutely needs to get tested for T1. (I can hear Melitta nodding in the background.)

2 Likes

well I just posted a comment - hopefully they won’t mind I included a link to our website.

2 Likes

I did too. It’s legit–relevant to the topic and definitely helpful to everyone affected.

2 Likes

She sounds like me. I struggled much the same way after my diagnosis was changed to type 2 and I couldn’t do anything to control my sugars… because I wasn’t type 2. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like