Diabetes education using sign language

Diabetes is a metabolic disorder which is chronic in nature. It requires education to be able to cope with the challenges it presents.
Diabetes education already is being recognized within the medical community to be a therapy hence different tools need to be employed to drive home knowledge.
For persons living with hearing impairment as a disability, they must not suffer or lack information because of these challenge. The introduction of sign language has made it easy for educating those with hearing impairment.
Conducting diabetes education using Sign Language is a technique that should be developed specifically for persons living with diabetes and hearing impaired as well.
Currently, existing Sign language symbols are not developed to meet these challenge but with concerted effort and research and effective collaboration, this is achievable. The present revolution in global diabetes awareness must not leave behind these set of persons.
The International Diabetes Federation through collaboration with stakeholders have been able to develop educational materials in many languages of the World, they need for Sign Language for persons living with Diabetes and challenge of hearing.
In sub Saharan Africa, there are a teeming population of persons with this condition and illiterate as well.
http://www.diabetesguidenigeria.blogspot.com

Glad this is being addressed Isaac. I’m a certified sign language interpreter, though haven’t worked in quite some time. Hearing impairment is much more of a handicap than most people can see on the surface.

Indeed, Isaac, and it begins with dispelling the common misperception that a sign exists for every spoken word. In explaining diabetes to my Deaf/Hard of Hearing friends, the process is made all the more difficult for lack of adequate communication tools.

Sad, too, to know that the evolution of action is still predicated upon the number or type of people affected – rather than the principle that no one individual deserves less than the rest.

We have a Group here for the deaf and hard of hearing

http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/deafandhardofhearing

I used to be fluent myself, and took classes at Gallaudet.

You will be glad to know that the AADE (American Association of Diabetes Educators) has a working group, chaired by my dear friend Ann Williams, dedicated to bringing appropriate diabetes education and access to technology to all individuals with disabilities. There is still a lot of work to be done, but I am pleased that the organization is cognizant of the problem.

Natalie, thanks, that’s great to know!

Dear All, its good to hear your comment concerning our brothers and sisters living with hearing impairment and diabetes. Those who are professionals in these field please share your experience for benefit of others especially those in sub saharan Africa. stay Blessed