Diabetes management in summers/heat

For people like me living in tropical countries have own set of challenge. Due to warm environment we have to take care of our insulin supplies and protect ourselves from infection (as we are more likely to get infected in warm environment)
What special care do you take during summers?
What are your fears/challenges as diabetic ?

Many of us in the upper latitudes of the northern hemisphere right now would love to trade our short, dark, and cold days for some of the problems of a tropical climate! I’ve never lived in a tropical environment and most of my experience is limited to the times I’ve traveled there.

During the summer, I don’t do many things to adjust my diabetes regimen around the heat. I make sure to mind my insulin deliveries so that it doesn’t remain exposed to high temperatures for any extended duration. I take care to not leave any insulin in a car parked in the sunshine.

When traveling, I never use a hotel or cruise ship’s refrigerator – those refrigerators are designed to freeze insulin! I’ll keep my working vial of insulin in a Frio water-cooled envelope.

If I plan a lot of water activities, I will consider switching my usual insulin pump regimen to one referred to as “untethered.” That means taking a daily long-acting insulin dose to supplement the pump’s basal rate. That enables disconnecting from the pump for long periods to facilitate water sports.

If I disconnect from a pump, I will ensure that it is not exposed for any appreciable time to direct sunshine or high heat. A small cooler can provide a portable spot to protect insulin from heat degradation.

I try to protect my feet with more substantial sandals than flip-flops. I like this type of shoe.
25%20AM

I pay attention to fungal infections between my toes, as that’s a weakness I have. I keep handy a tube of athlete’s foot cream so I can immediately treat when it arises. Treating before I sleep seems to be the most effective way for me.

Keeping a close watch on blood sugar levels, especially with a CGM, is a good way to detect any emerging infection whether it is systemic, dental, or on the skin like poison oak. High unexpected BG rises that are sustained and resist corrections are the hallmark of an infection for me but can have other causes like a bad infusion site.

1 Like

I tend to have the same issue during the summer when I do a lot of inline skating. Over the years I have found Lotrimin spray to work the best. 1 shot on toes and 1 in the skates/shoes and rarely need to repeat. Everything else I tried needed to re-apply often during that time of year.

@Terry4
yes i think the grass is always greener on the other side.
Here in tropical environment we have to constantly think about ways to keep our insulin safe.

The situation gets problematic when i need to travel for multiple days. A lot of energy gets wasted to keep my supplies safe.

BTW, i really liked how proactive you are in managing your diabetes. You know your risk and the way to sort it out

Thanks for sharing

1 Like