Diabetes yes, but I am not a Diabetic!

Yeah, what gives when staff of the Endo unit ask about "sugars"?

Maybe they need to retire! I remember when we called our blood glucose our blood sugar. Thank goodness we did not call it our pee result, because that is what we were measuring! We are living in Good times and hopefully they continue to improve.

I see a lot of medical reports in my job, and frequently they talk about "normal sugars" or "elevated sugars" when mentioning diabetes (and these are not reports from endos!).

Here's a good reason for why the use of "sugars" is still used... The definition of Glucose is Sugar.

This is a fun discussion. My #1 Niece is a linguist and I think I'll pull it up for her to study. A lot of her teaching is in the area of how languages evolve.

Thinking about it, I realize that, for me, how I use our vocabulary is often contextual and situational. Language is fluid and I enjoy dipping in and out of that flow.

So at a gathering, I might just say, I have diabetes, so that wouldn't work for me (too many carbs), but this salad will be perfect. Many folks don't get that it's the carbs, not the sugar, as we all know!

I do employ "blood sugar" in a context where someone might not have any idea what glucose is, though I never say "sugars". Oh--wait, there is one instance where I have used it over the years, but only in quotes: I have had success with Nopal Powder. The accurate historical reference is that this was an ancient Central/South American treatment for "the sugars." So if someone asks me about it I will use that phrase.

I love the acronym PWD, but only use it in the DOC where we know what it stands for. What the acronym stands for is too much of a mouthful for me in casual conversation (here's a favorite acronym of my retired-emergency-manager husband: COIK: "Clear Only If Known"--local emergency managers used it constantly when dealing with homeland security!).

I don't think I use "I'm a diabetic" much, but I'm not unwilling. I was a teacher for 50 years, so I will use any tool that helps educate non-diabetics. And the truth is, diagnosed at 57, my life turned inside out and upside down, for the first 2 years, diabetic is all I was!

I think it's perfectly fine to experiment with our vocabulary until we find what we are comfortable with. For me---it's whatever works to help someone learn something about how we live...Blessings all...Judith in Portland

Yeah, I know the definition of glucose is sugar - the "-ose", but then I think medical people should at least add the word "blood" to it - not just ask about "my sugars". Maybe I'll get snarky and "eat up" so that the bg is high when I get there and they do a fingerstick (cuz all to often they don't believe we fingerstick outselves) anyway, when the bg is high - I'll say "Yep! They're great, lookit how high they are flying!" Obviously I have issue with being patronized to... One day I'll let loose and tell them that I have more degrees than they do, and they can now stop calling me by my first name without my inviting them to. Aaahhh I feel better now!

Judith, you van ask your niece why in the Germanic languages (plural is "-en" ( I had a horrid time getting that when studying Swedish and Dutch) and a lot more languages just tack an "s" on things. I do know that I've over simplified things, there is the occasional "x". Glad to know you are also in Portland. Sunday (tomorrow) is National Tap Dance Day - commemorating Bill Bojangles Robinson's birthday. I was toying with changing into my tap shoes for my trip down the aisles at my local Safeway.

Do it, Artwoman! Is there any kind of tap flash mob happening??? Have fun!

On a side note of today's ride. There I am in a JDRF shirt. I have a pump strapped to my forearm. I've just done a blood test and a guy says "oh huge respect"...was thinking ok a diabetic thing, but no "I've got one of those steel monsters you're riding, you must be crazy riding these hills with it!". But that's me, I maybe a diabetic, but people just see me as a crazy cyclist :D

I was hoping there was a flash mob. There are some dances with set choreography that everyone - from beginner to advanced knows - kinda like every ballet dancer knows the Marius Petipa choreo for Swan Lake. I love seeing the faces of the surprised audience when a flash mob appears. I think they are joyous events.

I dont mind being called a diabetic, but i do mind when having diabetes causes people to automatically assume that I will go blind, get sick constantly, and have a heart attack in 10 years. I try to politely tell people that those things are not caused by diabetes, but instead are a result of HIGH BLOOD SUGAR! there is a difference, and not all diabetics have chronically high blood sugar. I put alot of effort and will power into maintaining bgs that i believe are truly 'normal'.
I know we cant expect the general public to understand this concept, but i try to educate them a little bit every time someone makes that comment.

Especially when those predictions come from people like dentists, opthamologists, opticians and the like. Sometimes I want to ask how long since they had their 1 1/2 hour intro to diabetes.

If they say "normal sugars" or "elevated sugars" and you feel snarky, just ask them about your mannose, galactose, ribose, fructose, etc levels. Saying "sugars" when only one sugar--glucose--is being measured is the sign of someone who wants to sound sophisticated but actually doesn't know anything.

Sure sure, why not make the visit a drama fest?? Geezum, maybe they have a lot of old diabetics who simply call the test by it's old name. Maybe they like to keep it simple - for some of us simple minded folks. I actually like it when the KISS approach is applied in my world. Not because I don't know anything, but because I do so I know what they're talking about using even more biochemical vocabulary. In fact I try to apply the KISS in most all of my dealings, then I don't have to explain every dang thing. Words can never hurt you...I learned that playing tag!

It does not matter to me whether I am called " a diabetic", a"person with diabetes", or referred to as "Brunetta has diabetes". Much better than when I was newly diagnosed in a small southern town, and I heard some adults saying, "That poor young girl: She got SUGAR!!"However, I can understand why some others would be concerned about possible negative connotations which are associated with being called "a diabetic". It is a semantic and a perceptual discussion that could go on forever.

BTW artwoman, here is my favorite Flash Mob video:Enjoy!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuuZMg6NVeA&feature=kp

Let us remember and honor our Fallen Heroes and our Loved Ones on Memorial Day

God Bless,
Brunetta

For me, when they've asked about my "sugars" it is follow by the word "dearie", and used with quite the patronizing voice. I also think that after years of being a patient in a practice, the staff should know their customers. And maybe I am a D-snob, but that patronizing approach doesn't work with most of the people with type 1 that I know. But please do know, I am polite, I seethe privately inside.

I didn't go to Safeway, I thought the linoleum floors might be too slick. But I did go to a little boutique with hardwood floors. I got there, announced that it was National Tap Dance Day and I was there to dance for them. The staff and the customers enjoyed it. I got a standing ovation! (of course maybe I got the ovation because there were no seats for them to sit in...)

great Job for you!! Dance on!!

Thank you! For all of my insistence that I be treated as an adult in terms of the diabetes (hence my dislike of sugars, dearie) I don't mind making a fun fool of myself and entertaining people. My poor husband - he prefers to "fly under the radar and not be noticed. (kinda hard for him - he's 6'6")

Brava! Artwoman.....