Diabetic Chinese gymnast/NPR

Did anyone hear the NPR broadcast on the former Chinese gymnast who had to leave the team due to her diabetes? Someone told me about it, but couldn’t remember which show they heard it on, and I can’t find anything on it.

I found a link to a story about a skier with diabetes here.

Was this it?

Thanks Kristin! This has to be it, as it’s the story told to me, except they said gymnast, but must’ve been skier. I guess “serious diabetes” means T1. A very sad story, especially when it doesn’t has to happen.

There was a story on nbc news about a women that was a chinese gymnast. She was diagnosed while she was training and competing, and I think she has complications because they pretty much ignored her type 1 diabetes. They showed her now checking her sugar, and said she doesn’t get enough supplies to care for herself. That she was basically dropped out of the gymnastic program. I’ll search for some more info on this but that is what I remember from the news.

I talked to my mom about it and she says it was shown during the olympic programing. She was dropped from the gymnastic program after she became to sick to compete. She wasn’t given any help or healthcare while with the gymnastic program, and now still doesn’t get enough supplies. Sorry I couldn’t find anything about it online though, but I’ll keep searching.

Too many similar stories, stories that shouldn’t be occurring at all! Thanks Jess, and let me know if you find anything.

This is so sad. What do you know about the health care system in China? What would happen if a child is diagnosed with diabetes?

I have been researching how to adopt children with diabetes and haven’t found any clear way to do that… I was thinking that some organization should be formed to research how children with diabetes live around the world. And see if there is need for adoption or family sponsoring, etc…

I couldn’t find anything about the reported story but I did find a reportf rom the China daily (can’t seem to link) reporting a tripling of type 1 in children
( better diagnosis?)
Shen Shuixian, chief of the endocrinology department at children’s hospital of Fudan University, has appealed for the condition to be given more recognition.
“The cost of treatment can be a major burden for many families,” he said.

Type I diabetics usually choose outpatient treatment rather than hospitalization, as treatment costs are not covered by the national medical insurance scheme.

When we were adopting the second time, we asked our agency about T1 kids. She had never seen a referral for one (it would be considered a special need in China).

When in China this summer, one of our team members is Chinese and he explained to me how his father died from diabetes a couple years ago. From what he told me it was t2, but he should’ve been on some type of medication. Basically the hospital sent him home to die, and he was only in his 50’s. My team member was shocked to find out I was diabetic and living a healthy life.

Kristin, I love your idea. Where to begin???

I am adopted (I was diagnosed after the adoption though). I think it would be a great thing, and I would almost bet that checking with your state children’s services system would be a great place to start. The children might be a little older, but so many adoptive parents don’t want “sick” kids.

I’m interested in beginning in Ukraine/ Russia-- cause it’s close to where I live and from what I know A1c’s run MUCH higher… >10 in supportive family situations. I imagine living in an orphanage would make the situation much harder.

But I don’t know where to turn-- perhaps to existing adoption agencies… ? But they don’t seem to know much about it. In China it sounds like ALL type 1’s need help… perhaps IDF research could help.

I was reading on a website today that Russia will not allow diabetics to adopt. That may have just been this agency, but the way it was worded was that it was Russia’s policy.

When I was in highschool I met a type 1 diabetic that was adopted from Russia to recieve better healthcare in the U.S. She had a twin sister in Russia that didn’t have diabetes. This was before I was diagnosed so I didn’t know much about what it must have been like for her in Russia. It seems kind of ironic when I look back. I was diagnosed two years after meeting her.

This is the case with many countries. I have adopted twice from China, and they were okay with my diabetes as long as I had a letter from my doctor stating that I was fit to be a parent:) China has since tightened up their regulations on adoptive parents, and I have heard they take medical issues on a case by case situation. Funny thing is they are less stringent if you are willing to take a special need child, which to me, is reason you should probably be even more healthy.

While I don’t know about diabetic-specific adoptions, you can support a child in another country with diabetes through this organization: www.lifeforachild.idf.org .
According to the homepage, TuDiabetes has called for support for this program. I know my folks have done something similar for years with WorldVision, I’m guessing this is similar but most specifically relating to testing supplies and insulin.