Diabetic Tips to make your (or a loved ones) life a little easier

I’m not sure if anything like this already exist and if it does, then I apologize beforehand. I thought something like this as a sticky would awesome! A quick reference to all of those little tips, cheats and tricks that makes the lives of Diabetics easier. A central source where such information could be stored so that it could be retrieved easily, by anyone, at anytime. This is my attempt at BEGINNING such a thing (again, if nothing already exists like this.) If it does, then my apologies and just delete this thread.

Anyone who wants to add to this list, feel free to add your helpful information as a Reply and I will update this master post to include your tips!

Question: How can I help my child feel less pain when giving them their shots?
Answer: Try “Shotblocker”.
What is it: Watch Video
How does it work: Pressing it against the skin distracts the brain from the pain of the needle prick
Where can I get it: Multiple sources. Try Amazon at: Shotblocker

Question: How can I keep my transmitter stuck to my skin longer?
Answer (Option 1): Alcohol Prep pad + I.V. Prep Pad + Tegaderm Film.
The process: Clean the surface with the Alcohol Prep pad. Once it dries, rub an I.V Prep Pad along the entire surface area where you plan to utilize (the transmitter area plus the Tegaderm film area.) Let it dry. Attach the transmitter to the skin, insert needle, finish setting up the transmitter. Place Tegaderm (with hole cut in the center of it) on skin.

Question: What is an I.V. Prep pad and why does it help?
Answer: An I.V. Prep pad is an Antiseptic Wipe so it cleans, but it also has sticky solution built in to help things stick to the skin better.
Where can I get it: I.V Prep Pads

Question: What is Tegaderm film and why does it help?
Answer: Tegaderm film is very sticky film which is placed over the site of the transmitter which helps keep the transmitter in place longer. Using Tegaderm film in conjunction with alcohol wipe pads and I.V Prep pads will help it stick longer.
Where can I get it: Tegaderm Film

Question: How can I use each CGM transmitter longer than the standard 7 days?
Answer: At the end of the 7 day period the sensor will stop working. Instead of changing out the transmitter, just click “Start Sensor”. Wait the 2 hour period, then do two blood sticks and you can begin a new 7 day period. As long as your receiver is reading close to the actual finger prick readings you can continue using the same transmitter…assuming the tape stays stuck long enough! Use the preceeding recommendation to keep the transmitter afixed to the skin for a longer period of time.

Question: How do I get the hole in my Tegaderm film?
Answer: Unfortunately, there are no “diabetic” Tegaderm film currently sold so diabetics have to modify the film to fit over the Transmitter (without covering the transmitter). To do this, there are a couple options.
Option 1: Create a cardboard “template” that is the size of film, with the hole cut into the cardboard. Place your Tegaderm film on top of the cardboard cutout and using a scapel, cut out the hole in the film.
Option 2: Purchase a tool that can stamp a hole into the Tegaderm. One such tool is an EK Tag Punch Classic.

Question: Where can I get a Film Tag Punch to punch a hole in my Tegaderm (or other) film?
Answer: Film Tag Punch

Question: My film is very sticky and is hard to remove from my skin…sometimes it damages, or rips my skin. Is there anything that helps?
Answer: Yes, multiple products can be used to make removing film easier. One such product is Uni-Solve Adhesive Remover Wipes.

Question: What are Uni-Solve Adhesive Remover wipes?
Answer: It’s a wipe that you slide under the film and wipe away the adhesion. By wiping along the edges, it removes the stickiness, thus resulting in less pain (especially the pain that young toddlers may feel during film removal.)
Where can I get it: Uni-Solve Adhesive Remover

2 Likes