Diabetics considered as handicapped?

Its alright! Yes I do use English as my second language.

Any way, Actually one of diabetic friend asked whether he can get reservation benefits which are applicable for handicap people. So I thought to ask here.

Thanks all for your reply!

I don't know what you mean by "reservation" benefits. I do have friends who will tell a restaurant that one of their party (me) has diabetes, so the table must be ready on time. And we can request - at no extra charge, a mini-refridgerator in a hotel room - to keep insulin and juice in. So there is a little benefit now and then. As an aside, my friends also use the reservation "scam" at a restaurant when I'm not with them!

I am from India and here the people who are handicap in some way gets preference when they apply for any government sector job and similar kind of stuffs.

I mean they have more chances to get selected than a normal people.

From my knowledge, diabetes is not a handicap in any way. Though it is considered a disability due to the fact the the endocrine system doesn’t function properly. Many people may not view diabetes as a disability, rather just a medical condition. But when it comes to school/college or employment, it’s important to state it as a disability to get the coverage from laws, like Americans with Disabilities Act or 504 plans, and to get proper care and avoid discrimination.

I as a college student, I take benefit of the Disabled Students Programs and Services (DSPS). Though I only have diabetes type one, they help me out with those professors who don’t understand what diabetes is, taking my exam in a area in which I can test and pause if need or even postpone tests if necessary, and other services as well. But just because I’m in the program, it doesn’t mean that I have a bonus in passing the class, rather just help if needed.

Diabetes is not a handicap (NOT AT ALL), if you want to call a disability (go ahead), but it’s a medical condition, and thats all. The side effects (complications) of diabetes is a different story.

Well said Vanessa

Perfect answer to my question. Thanks

I think if you have complications related to diabetes such as severe neuropathy, amputation, blindness, etc. Then those complications will cause you to be disabled. But diabetes itself, no. Up until recently... (I've lived with diabetes since I was 9 years old) I was able to do anything anyone else can do. It was the heart disease and the leg trouble and the eye disease that caused me to lose my independence.

With all my complications, I still don't qualify for disability. I'm perfectly fine with that, I don't feel that I need it. I can still work and take care of myself just fine, thank you! :D

From 1970-74 my college tuition and books were paid by the state of Iowa due to the disability of diabetes. Even then it was not a handicap.

I am afraid to say it. And we all work so hard to avoid it. No matter how hard I work, adjust, readjust.. D is just a lot of hard work and it impacts us.

But Zoe is absolutely correct about the requirements of the ADA.

I don't consider myself a handicapped person and feel I can do anything anyone else can do.

I know what people mean when they say this, and this isn't a diatribe against you, Zoe, but I sooooo wish people would stop saying, "X isn't a disability because I can still do everything!" I think this subtly reinforces the idea that people who have disabilities can't do everything that people without disabilities can do or that people with disabilities are held back from achieving everything they want in life, which (as you know) is just not true! Think about if people said, "I'm not diabetic because I can still do everything I want!" and how annoying it would get if people continually used that type of terminology when talking about diabetes ... Of course, people with diabetes KNOW they can still do eveyrhting - they just have to be more careful about some things nad may have to do some things a little differently, and this is exactly the same as someone with a disability, it's just that the "doing things differently" is a often (but not always) a little more visible. Unfortuantely, a lot of people DON'T know that people with disabilities can still do everything - and that includes many people who actually have disabilities - and it leads to a lot of people giving up on independnece and dreams and creates a vicious cycle that people get trapped in (of course, there are other issues, like lack of resources and accessibility, but I seriously think it boils down to this pervasive idea that disability = limitation).

As to the OP's question, in most countries I believe the only case in which diabetes can be considered a disability is in requesting reasonable accommodations from an employer or school (for example, if you need a break during an exam or workday to treat a high or low blood sugar). It does depend a lot on where you live, though - for example, here in Canada people with Type 1 diabetes are eligible for the Disability Tax Credit if they can document that they spend 14 or more hours a week in certain diabetes-related tasks.

1 Like

Face it.

If we rely on an artificial device to deliver something necessary for life, we are indeed handicapped and disabled. That does not mean we cannot accomplish great things or achieve greatly, and just saying it's a lot of work is denying the reality of the situation.

We could work at it day and night, but w/out insulin some of us wouldn't last the week.

Ha, I already replied to your post above!

I think handicapped and disabled are very loaded words, and I wish they weren't so. I have met people who ARE disabled in the traditional sense of the word and still refuse to call themselves disabled becuase of the connotations it brings with it. I also frequently see people who say they are not disabled from diabetes (or anything else) because they can, "Still do everything."

Well, I am disabled and ... I can still do everything, except I can't see. But I can still do everything ...

I do think there is a difference between chronic illness and disability, but it's very hard to pin down. Maybe it's partly that a disability is physical/mental and that a chronic illness is medical, or that a disability has issues of accessibility and chronic illness doesn't ... but even those issues aren't clear-cut. But the difference is NOT that someone with a disability (or handicap if you prefer that term) "can't do" and someone without a disability "can do" something.

I am NOT handicapped or disabled! Needing to inject / swallow / administer some 'thing' does not equal handicap or disability.

If that were the case then most everyone you know would fit the bill - if not now then eventually. How about the folks who need meds for ADHD, RA, Sleep, Thyroid, Depression, Vitamin Deficiency, etc..... Oh the list is endless.

I do not wish for Diabetes to be considered a handicap or disability - but maybe it's because I don't want a label like that on my perfectly healthy diabetic person!

Well, I don't think ADHD, RA, as painful and problematic as they can be...are not life threatening in most cases. A lot of "medicines" people think they MUST have, are not, except for the prolific effectiveness of pharma's advertising. Diabetes is specifically mentioned in the ADA for a reason.

Remember, diabetes was not specifically mentioned in the original ADA. It took the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 to change what became a very real problem for diabetics. Lesson: If you don't think it should be considered a handicap you would have been happy with the original ADA and the courts' interpretation of it.

I believe technically the ADA covers any chronic health issue as a disability, in the legal sense of the term, not just diabetes. So if someone needed accommodations for, say, asthma or epilepsy, I'm pretty sure they would also be covered. I don't think it matters if the chronic condition is life-threatneing or not. (I'm not American and am also no lawyer, so I could be wrong, but that was my understanding of how the ADA protected individuals who requested accommodations.)

“Impairment is the correct term to use to define a deviation from normal, such as not being able to make a muscle move or not being able to control an unwanted movement. Disability is the term used to define a restriction in the ability to perform a normal activity of daily living which someone of the same age is able to perform. For example, a three-year-old child who is not able to walk has a disability because a normal three-year-old can walk independently. Handicap is the term used to describe a child or adult who, because of the disability, is unable to achieve the normal role in society commensurate with his age and socio-cultural milieu. As an example, a sixteen-year-old who is unable to prepare his own meal or care for his own toileting or hygiene needs is handicapped. On the other hand, a sixteen-year-old who can walk only with the assistance of crutches but who attends a regular school and is fully independent in activities of daily living is disabled but not handicapped. All disabled people are impaired, and all handicapped people are disabled, but a person can be impaired and not necessarily be disabled, and a person can be disabled without being handicapped.”

(gleefully stolen from Wikipedia entry on Disability, quite an interesting read if you get a chance…)

Insulin diabetics are disabled by law and by fact. Not being able to eat and process glucose is a daily "normal" activity. About as "normal" activity as you can get. We can rise above it and often do, but in the end we are disabled.

Not in my state. Unless you are disabled because of your condition you are not considered disabled just because you have a diagnosis of any kind. As I stated earlier, I am not disabled, have no intention of applying for disability, and live a mostly normal life. WE are not disabled! The ADA has a gov site that has ALL the info if you want to know the facts.

So, I'm guessing you could live "normally" or otherwise without artificial insulin? I can't understand what everyone's hang up about being disabled is. I mean, if your body didn't produce blood, would you consider yourself disabled then? Not producing insulin is real close to that.

I do live normally Diabetic Dad. I work and play and run and jump and ride and surf and sing and dance and garden and walk dogs and clean my own house and even fly. Not producing blood?? That for sure would cause a disability assignment as it would be a life in a hospital bed and then the ADA can be applied for. My hang up about being disabled is that I AM NOT disabled. I don't mean to be crass but disability in my neck of the woods means something different than what you describe.

In fact, I have other AI conditions that also don't qualify for disability...because as said, I can still work and play and run and jump and ride and surf and sing and dance and garden and walk dogs and clean my own house and even fly even though I have to use exogenous insulin (and other stuff).

So, to the normal life of poor me I will say that if I could not work and play and run and jump and ride and surf and sing and dance and garden and walk dogs and clean my own house and even fly then yes, I might consider myself disabled, and then I might apply for the title. Depends on if I can recover and return to those activities.