Diagnosed by noon, dying for a cheeseburger by 3

So, this morning (as of July 19th), I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I'm a 19 year old college kid whose parents are in the military. Diabetes, as I only learned an hour ago, runs in my family, but hasn't cropped up in 3 generations (yay me...). When the doctor told me, I almost was about to brush it off, but then I remembered a family friend who was going through it, and how difficult it has been for her. The doctor hasn't given me any medicine to take yet. Right now, until I get my call back from the doctor, I'm kinda sitting in this grey-bleh zone of uncertainty, yet knowing sorta what to do, and still being in a state of shock and denial.

If anyone can give me some basic tips until the doc has pulled me back into her office, that'd be great.

Thanks!

P.S. I love to cook, so if there are any great cookbooks out there, to make the meals a bit more enjoyable, that would also be a real life saver.

Over and out.

1. If you take anything other than metformin, do your research and really read up on the med.
2. If you're overweight, lose some pounds because it will decrease your insulin resistance. Regular exercise also helps to manage it.
3. I'm a fan of going pretty low carb at least initially. It will help with the weight loss. Many feel that the standard ADA carb guidelines are high, but at the very least control your carb intake. Eat the burger with 1/2 of a bun, skip the fries, and drink diet soda or unsweetened iced tea.
4. Eat to your meter...do a lot of testing initially and find out what brings your BG up. Also, go over all those food charts. For example, popcorn really has a LOT of carbs in it, and while tortila chips are good for some people, for me they are a quick BG high.

Hi Mike, I'm 25 plus years into this T2 thing and I'm going to tell you something that you will became so tired of hearing. The best thing you can do to control your T2 is to exercise and if you are overweight diet. Even if your not overweight choose your diet wisely.

Most people when they are diagnosed T2 are not willing to make the changes necessary to take control. There are a number of mistakes that are commonly made by T2s. I even wrote a blog about my mistakes that you can read here Ten Rules for Screwing up your T2
If you can avoid these mistakes you are well on your way to regaining control of your life.

When I really neeeed a cheeseburger, I get a lettuce-wrapped one at Carls Jr. No fries, iced tea with no sugar. It has the same gooshy taste, just no useless bread.

I'm so sorry about your diagnosis.. It is a huge shock and it will take a while to adjust to things most likely. you have gotten lots of good advice.. my thoughts right now are on diet and the cheeseburger...

I think if you can eliminate things like bread, potatoes / starchy things, soda, all the starchy things... grains, and high carb content foods.. it will help you a great deal. so have the cheeseburger, but with no bun and no fries.. just have it with lettuce, veggies etc. or maybe with some julien's lo carb bread if you really need that sometimes. And add in some spicy flavors such as mustard & horseradish etc.

One of the most powerful tools in a T2's arsenal is our meters. "Eat to your meter" means observing the effect various foods have on your blood sugar and eliminating or reducing quantities of the ones that cause you to exceed your goal. Many of us use 140 as our goal for maximum blood sugar. Most foods will cause a spike 1 or 2 hours after a meal so it's important to test after you eat.

The Blood Sugar 101 website has a great explanation of the "Eat to your meter" system. Properly implemented you will arrive at a custom diet tailored to your individual body. This involves an investment in testing strips at the beginning, many doctors think this amount of testing is excessive for a T2, my own doc certainly did. But when he saw the results he understood I wasn't OCD I was just serious in keeping my blood sugars within range. After you make the necessary changes in diet you can cut back on the testing.

Sorry you had to join our little club, you will have to make changes in your diet/lifestyle to successfully deal with your diagnosis, but it's a completely doable project as many here will tell you.

Re cookbooks: I personally think many of the so called diabetic cookbooks are not very useful, the amount of carbs is more than my body can safely handle. There are tons of low carb recipe websites and cookbooks, I find these much more useful. Here's a good one to get you started. Also check out some of the low carb recipe groups here on tuD.

Personally I enjoy the challenge of cooking meals that don't send my blood sugar sky high. I like to smoke meat and have developed techniques and recipes that eliminate the sugar usually found in BBQ. I smoke meat at work about once a month and use my D friendly recipes. My mostly non D co-workers love my food and are always agitating to up the frequency to twice a month. The proofs in the puddin'(low carb of course)

Hey mike

Sorry to hear that. I’m on metformin 2000 mg a day and just stating to use Lantus pen sarted with 5 units every night now I’m on 8 units. I don’t feel a thing when I give myself a shot. If your dr put you on insulin go with pen so much easyer to use. My dr and my heart dr don’t wont my blood suger to go over 150. I tested a lot at first like 8 times a day for at least two months lol. One I day. Had bowl of rice my BG jump to 259. I walk a lot at night . For me accuchek meteors seem to be right on how I feel.
1581-image.jpg (227 KB)

Gary--
Loved the chance to re-read your smart(ass) words of wisdom!