Diagnosis Date

So I feel like the only diabetic in the world who doesn’t know my diagnosis date! Lately it’s really been bothering me. My whole life changed that day and I feel like I should know when it was. I (think) I remember the year, but I have no idea what month, let alone day. My doctors ask me how long I’ve been diabetic and I always have to think about what house I was living in at the time to come up with a possible year and then calculate!

Anyone have any idea how I could find out this information? I don't have any of the same doctors anymore, but I suppose I could call the doctor who diagnosed me and ask? How awkward! lol

Also...I've always wondered, I was diagnosed about six years ago (I was 21) but how long did I have it before then? I just remembered I started losing a lot of weight, drinking a lot of water and peeing a lot :) Could I have had this for years before I was diagnosed? Or do those symptoms just start kicking in as soon as you develop it?

So many questions! :) Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Cassie

Medical offices are required by law to keep your records for a set amount of years. I think it’s either 7 or 9. I would check with the office that diagnosed you, see if they still have those records, and if not, did you sign a release to have your records sent to a new doctor? You are entitled to a copy of your medical records. Your doctor’s normally forward on records but they cannot forward/transfer records that are not theirs so check with the first doc you transfered to after. I have mine since I was 4 years old, so 24-25 years worth. But I work in the profession and know my way around things. Ask your offices, get a copy if you can and just scan back to see what the date was. I’ve been out of the loop for a little bit, so if anyone knows the laws differently, please let me know, but I think this is accurate. Good luck!

Thanks Devon! I can’t remember if I had the transferred or not but I could call both offices and find out. Do you have to pay for a copy of your records?

One more thing I hope that’s passed as law as part of HCR - a free copy of your medical records. All my doctors charge $10 or more for my copy of the records…and the worst are those that charge crazy amounts like admin charge, first page charge and each additional page charge. Sucks when you have a large folder that needs to be requested.

As far as I know, you get your first copy for free. But that is most offices in Maine. Any additional copies it is usually $10 for the first 10 pages, and then 35 cents for each page thereafter, but again you SHOULD get one copy for free. And you can ask for a copy of the office note at each visit. That is what I do, or at the beginning of the next visit.

I don’t think it is law perhaps, but more of an unspoken thing in all the offices I’ve ever worked for. The keeping records for so many years is law though.

office note? What the doc writes down in my file when i’m not looking?

yeah. They have to keep notes that indicate what was discussed in the appointments and also to “give proof” for lack of a better word on why they billed the visit the way they did. It’s actually very complex to learn at first, but the goal is to include as much information so you can so 1.) you have accurate files on the patients health, and 2.) so you can bill appropriately and in theory get paid by the insurance company something close to what you charge.

I was diagnosed I think in Sept, I know 1984. I was 12. The only thing I know is that I was hospitalized again which put me in the hospital on Halloween the same year. I was so mad because my mother said we could trick or treat until we were 12, then after that we couldn’t. I spent my last chance to trick or treat in the hospital. I was so mad. I couldn’t have eaten the candy, but I could have bribed my brothers with it or something.

My mother knew, but she died a couple of years ago and I didn’t think it was important until I was here. I thought it was wierd. I put my diagnosis date as Sept 11, b/c that is my brother’s birthday and it is close. = )

I think when you are diagnosed, you are sick headed up to it, and then later you are overwhelmed, and perhaps a little numb, and the date doesn’t matter so much.