Did Dexcom make the right G6 choice?

Thank you Terry! This is really helpful! If I may prevail upon you for another moment…what if I’m at home, and say…I go outside without either my receiver or my iPhone (not a problem at work, cause my phone is always on my desk next to me). Will everything start alarming and beeping? Or will it just not be able to communicate till I come back inside and within range?

Thank you so much!
S

I can’t answer you fully since I’m using the G4 system. If I am out of range (both the receiver and phone are needed for the G4) then I will lose data points for the time I’m out of range. I’m not certain if the G6 can backfill the data once back in range.

If my G4 receiver is out of range, I will get at least some vibrating alarms. The G4 does not have as many alarms as the G5, not sure about the G6. I hope someone more familiar can jump in and answer this question.

Thanks again Terry, you’re the best! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Meee I am late to this conversation, but in which direction is the Dexcom off from the fingerstick? For me it was the meter that was in error. I had the good fortune to attend a session on meter and CGM accuracy for HCP’s. There I learned that the One Touch meters read high for people with chronic anemia (that’s me my entire life - even the decades pre-T1). SO while my Dexcom was telling me I was low, or getting low, the fingerstick told me I was either fine - or in need of a correction bolus. Result: I was correcting High’s I wasn’t experiencing, and ignoring lows I should have paid attention to.

That session probably saved my life. Anyway, I learned which meter had the highest accuracy rating, I use that for calibration and dose off my G5 (health plan won’t cover the more accurate meter, so I pay out of pocket). Anyway, my point is check the accuracy rating and experience of your meter. Meters aren’t re-evaluated after FDA approval, and I don’t believe their are third-party spot checks.

IMO LS meters are not as accurate as Contour Next meters anyway, so no surprise that you were told not to rely on a LS meter. I used them for years (little did I know they weren’t the end-all and be-all in meters). Glad that a Contour Next Link was included in my last pump purchase.

Which meter had the highest accuracy rating, reported from the HCP session you attended?

It’s not the meter. Using free style lite. Dex is frequently off in both directions. Has been for forever for me. Confirmed numerous times with finger sticks. Another problem for me is even the accepted error range can cause problems for me, 20 points off etc. Even if it’s accurate, both are relatively accurate, I can still crash or spike like crazy. Yesterday crashed to 40 arrow down corrected to 125, went to sleep with normal basal increase and small correction and woke up at 250 2 hours later.

1 Like

The Diabetes Technology Society produced a good meter survey in the last year. This report is the only one I know of that tests meters after the original FDA check is done on each meter.

1 Like

Terry4 - Precisely my point. It is essential to those of us with T1 - we aren’t “just monitoring” we are dosing a powerful medication using those meters. Yeah, maybe the Mfr’s do spot checks, but…

Contour Next

1 Like

Thanks @Terry4 for the meter survey and @artwoman for sharing the meter results.

I often wondered, when they don’t jive, which is in error. My meter isn’t on the list; I use my OmniPod PDM with Abbott Freestyle strips (not lite) with a Freestyle Freedom backup meter.

Again, thank you both for the information; it helps!

Consumer Reports also produces a buying guide but you must become a member to read it.

@Terry4 … thank you again! I am a Consumer Reports member, but never thought to check there for meters. They too, do not have the “Freestyle Freedom” meter or OmniPod PDM both which use the Freestyle strips (not lite).

Looking at this a bit closer, the OmniPod DASH will be using Contour Next, so it looks like the Freestyle Freedom (not lite) will be going away because the only way I can even get a backup meter is to call Abbott and request one; they are not available for purchase anywhere (that I’m familiar with).

In regards to Dexcom G6, I’m not pleased with the hard 10-day shutoff. I’m anticipating I will stay with the G5 or the G4 if I can could get the transmitters (I liked that they lasted at least a year). Right now, I’m without a backup transmitter because I’m not eligible to order until August. I don’t like not having one in the closet; with the G4, after the first six months, I always had a backup transmitter. Peace of mind means a lot yanno!

The G5 has reduced my testing a lot, being able to dose off of it.

I’ve found the G4 and G5 to be spot on, the majority of the time. Once the sensor begins to get wacky or hiccups, I know it’s time to change it. I’ve often gone over 28 days on one sensor and at least 14 days before it starts to hiccup (lapses). I did have longer runs, more frequently, using the G4 than I do with the G5.

Cost-wise I’ll have to do some calculations, but I’m going to take leap and say even with no calibrations needed, I’m still going to test, so meter/strips will still be necessary, the 10-day G6, in the long run, is going to cost me more. There is a lot to consider.

Again, thank you so much for the information!

There is already a work-around published about how to restart the G6 and extend beyond the initial 10-day session. It’s written by a thorough, savvy, and trusted source.

Thanks for reminding me about this. I should have updated with this info sooner!

1 Like

Amazing! Not one, but four workarounds. Wow.

@Tapestry If you really want another Freestyle Freedom , Amazon has them for ~$28 USD

http://a.co/2XKFPF5

Thank you for the source!

Most welcome @tapestry

Just curious…why not the Lite strips? Did you find a difference or was it because OMNIPOD told you not to use them? Thanks, Laura

Yes, I was told to use only Freestyle, and specifically to not use Freestyle Lite. It could have been my endo, my cde, or the OmniPod trainer, I don’t recall; it could have been all of them. I’m not sure if my insurance would cover the Freestyle Lite, but I’m thinking not. I was just reminded of a time when there were problems with the PDM and Freestyle strips and it was my insurance company who worked with Abbott and with my pharmacy (plain Freestyle strips were very hard to come by in my area during that time) to get replacements for me. I was testing ten plus times a day then too. Although, I do have different insurance now than I did then.