Different arm or same arm for second Covid vaccine?

I feel I must defend us retired people that have nothing better to do. Sure we have nothing better to do, after all we are the group that is dying at the highest rate.

In July 2020 people over the age of 65 made up only 16% of the population but they were 80% of Covid deaths, I doubt the statistics have changed that much since July. Not only do we have nothing better to do we have nothing more important to do.

It would have been nice if there was a pre-made stockpile of Covid vaccines but the fact that this was a newly emerging disease made that impossible. It is a miracle that we are receiving vaccines just 18 months since this virus emerged and one year since a pandemic was declared. These vaccine rollouts have been the fastest in history but universal availability still is not possible. Someone had to be given first priority, it only seems right that the group most decimated be given high priority.

I am not yet part of the over 65 group, I missed it by a year, I got my first vaccine because of my diabetes, apparently this availability happened sooner in my state than in some others. I will only say that each state is different with different demographics that drives their decision making.

Many people have personal circumstances that should make them a priority, its unfortunate that not all circumstances could be considered. Perhaps the system could have been designed better but think of this amazing fact. Within the next 3 months, by May of this year, according to government goals, anyone that wants a vaccine will be able to get a vaccine. That’s less than two years since this virus emerged, it has never happened so fast in history. Mistakes may have been made, its only fair to expect them to happen when when things move with such haste.

Still I am amazed

2 Likes

I think you will find little sympathy from us 70+ year old diabetic essential workers with additional comorbidities that are putting in double shifts to make sure the public is served with the products and services they need during this pandemic. Juggling a massive increase in our work schedules, facing the public daily and having to fight like heck with broken state and federal websites to waste time to get a vaccine appointment just to be told no appointments available for those of us that have not yet reached the 75-year-old bracket has been very frustrating and discouraging.

Please remember that the latest game is to tell everyone they are eligible to get the vaccine, but, being eligible and having enough vaccine on hand to get an appointment can be months apart.

Just my morning rant, I feel very fortunate to have received my first shot and am due for my second shot next week and hope that everyone that wants to be vaccinated will get their shot as soon as possible. I am also not looking for any sympathy as I learned years ago that the quickest way to find sympathy is to just open a dictionary and it is found somewhere between s*it and syphilis.

Have a great weekend, enjoy Spring as it is upon us, and look forward to our new normal.

I just hope you are directing your ire in the correct direction. Retired persons have every right to seek protection. It does seem that the system has worked for you just the same as for me.

Well, I used the same (non-CGM) arm as last time for my second Pfizer vaccine today, and I can’t even feel it – even 8 hours later. :smirk: