Ding dong

Since Camden was diagnosed in July, I’ve gotten up every night at 2am to test his blood. Each time we change his Lantus, his Dr. tells me that I only need to for the next couple of nights and then that’s it. Every time it’s THE night that I don’t have to check anymore, I do. Each time, it’s lower than I want it to be… So, I keep testing. His Dr. keeps telling me to knock it off so I can get some sleep and function a little better, but no matter what, I’m awake most of the night worrying. Might as well test.
I have a neighbor with Type 1, though she was diagnosed at age 58. She once told me that in the middle of the night if she goes low enough to wake herself up, she’s basically paralyzed at that point. Nothing’s scared me more since his diagnosis. I’ve got a juice box on either side of the bed with a night light so he can find them easily.
My boyfriend just had a great idea and I just set it up. We bought one of those wireless doorbells. The chime is in my bedroom and the button is installed on his headboard. If he were to wake up really low, it may be easier for him to hit a button than get his juice box. Maybe soon, I’ll trust this enough to get some sleep!

Hey, that is a cool idea. My son also has mild seizures, dang wish I had thought of that. My kids both wake themselves up with they are low at night. Doesn’t happen often, but it does. Eventually you will learn to trust your program…but until then…if it makes you feel better, then test in the middle of the night all you want.

A thought for you about your neighbors comment. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) applies, since it’s quite possible Camden will just wake up when he goes low. Children usually are more sensitive than your neighbor could be, and almost always wake up when low.
I speak from experience, I was diagnosed at age 5 (only 53 years ago BTW) and that’s how it was for me, and still is now. VERY individual. As time goes by you and he will both adjust, everything is scary at this point. Jus keep cherishing your son and watching over him as much as you think makes sense. Remember, the doctor won’t suffer if you miss a problem, but he may.

The other point is that his body will bring his levels back up if he goes low at night or any other time. As long as he didn’t go into a hypo a few hours before there will be enough stored glycogen for the liver to release as needed to support his need, but it may take a a few minutes longer than you would like.