DIY closed-loop systems coming to OmniPod!

I am sure there are a few about whom you wouldn’t feel so guilty after all :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s time to start bulking those pods. :slight_smile: I am really looking fwd to this, after 1 year of perfect looping with Loop, Riley and Minimed.

3 Likes

Wow, this is great news! Great engineering work indeed! I’ll be one of the guinea pigs!

1 Like

Looking forward to this. Looping for the past 1.5 years and loving it.

1 Like

Me, too. I’m up for a new pump as well, and my province just recently started covering OmniPod for everyone with insulin-dependent diabetes, regardless of age (or diabetes type). This would make that option very, very tempting.

1 Like

Some screenshots from iOS integration have already been posted on Gitter, and it looks promising. It is possible to activate a pod, give command on bolus, temp basal, control the beeping from the pod etc.
The only less good thing is that with current pods we still need a “modem”, the RileyLink, to enable the communication between the phone (bluetooth) and the pod (radio). But with the future bluetooth enabled Dash-pods, we may only need the phone and the pod, which would be the dream setup. Later on, maybe a smartwatch will be enough (subject to software and battery limitations).

1 Like

How is work progressing?

Very slow, unfortunately. Latest news is that the pod battery cannot handle the 5-min communications from Loop during 3 days, which leads to the “scream of death” on during day three, caused by lo-batt. Still no official release date/news.
I’m running on my Medtronic supply-stock with a 6 months of pods that I can’t use yet. :frowning:

3 Likes

I wonder if communication attempts were reduced to 10-minute intervals would work.

1 Like

@BK1112

That makes sense.

The integration with Dexcom also has an impact on the Tandem charge. Clearly the Tandem has a larger internal battery than the Omnipod but there still is an impact.

When NOT running integrated with the Dexcom, the Tandem X2 battery charge is expected to last 7 days.
When running integrated with the Dexcom, the Tandem X2 battery charge is expected to last 5 days.

(We just recharge our X2 every day or other day or so - typically while in shower so the charge is no big deal.)

Point being that, YES, integration with Dexcom does use additional charge.

It should work, technically it should reduce the Loop caused battery consumption by 50%, but then again I don’t know what changes in the algorithm that would cause because everything today is built around the 5 min CGM readings.

These developers are smart. I suspect that 10-minute action intervals has already been considered and discarded for other reasons.

1 Like

As diabetics, we can say that, in combination with a 15 min lag in sensor responsiveness, that’s making data not readable for around 30 min. Maybe that interval of time is so large that it really limits the predictive capabilities of the system. If you drop 100 points in a hour, it might only get a couple of data points and maybe that’s not enough to make a really safe calculation of how to adjust insulin in any practical way. Its slow.

Hate to add additional hardware, but I always wanted to just add a microphone to the POD that could report the delivery. (the pod clicks every time it delivers That click is, I think, 1/2 a unit).

After a pod is activated, each pod “click” is 0.05 units.

Thats right! 0.05 units, not 0.5 units