DKA symptoms without losing consciousness

Google will explain in depth.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I have ended up with an Android phone (affordability being a factor), and it has driven me crazy. Some things have settled down substantially with it, but to learn (without any visual indication) I had 19 voicemails is unacceptable…and yet have no choice.

lmao

I use a different launcher than the stock Samsung launcher. I get little “bubbles” with a number in them, on each icon when there is an item to be looked at. That way I don’t miss calls, emails, texts, and many other items, as they come in. The launcher I use is Nova Launcher (the paid version). One of the very best things u can do to an Android phone is to install that app,. HUGELY popular! Very customizable. It makes using my phone an entirely better experience than stock.

1 Like

Thanks, will check that out.

1 Like

A great feature is it lets u choose how many icons to place on a home page. I have 8x7, so 56 icons, plus 7 in the dock ( the bottom row of icons that are the same on every page). I know where each one is on the home page, by position and color. The secondary pages, I have a harder time remembering where each icon is located.

To open an app, you can talk to the phone. Just use the syntax,“open [appname]” from the Google Assistant. A long press on the home button should bring up the Assistant.

Do you feel comfortable changing your own basals? Has anyone taught you how?

I think its pretty dangerous to be on a pump without a sensor. How do know if your BG control is good without any data? Seems like their asking you to fly an airplane without any instrumentation. This feels like a catch-22.

Hi Mohe,
I have a contour test link/device. It gives me data based on my bg tests. I used to be the only one who really set my basals (except when I was first dx’d and got my pump), but as I described, the provider I’ve been seeing fusses with them at every appointment. She won’t get to do that anymore, and I will take the advice given to me here not to allow that, but will bring a paper copy of my settings if she wants to talk about them. Had a decent day yesterday with no bgs in the 300’s…my readings are still not where I want them. Thanks for your comment and concern! That means a lot to me.

1 Like

My best suggestion of the week: Buy, read, and re-read John Walsh’s Pumping Insulin. Please. For your sake. You will learn a LOT more than going onto forums, about how to use a pump and better control your bg’s.

3 Likes

Thanks! I don’t think I read that one…will go see if it’s available online.

1 Like

In 42 years of type one the only time I ever had dka was at about the 27 year mark from an insulin pump issue. One of the many reasons I no longer use one.

1 Like

On order with a locally owned bookstore :smile: Will arrive in a few days. Thanks so much for the tip.

2 Likes

I don’t think so. I am at risk for stroke with low blood pressure. Plus my father’s health/medical issues were similar to my own. He had numerous “mini-strokes” later in life. Thanks for bringing that up.

2 Likes

Consider writing down your settings on paper before your appointment. If the endo is in the habit of adjusting them and does, you can always just change them back after the appointment, LOL.

Feel free to post the data if you want us to give feedback. I agree with the others - that a Dexcom will help a lot if you can afford it.

Book arrived, and by simply breezing around in it for about 20-30 minutes (to get a feel for the author, how information is laid out etc.), I noticed something really obvious in a basal setting that was not included. Went ahead and set one, and will see how it works out in the next day or two. Pumping Insulin appears to be a fabulous book, and thanks again for suggesting it.

3 Likes

You are most welcome. Many of us pumpers have referred to it as the Pumper’s Bible. I started out in 1996 with the edition available at the time. Last year, I bought an updated edition that included more current products. I wouldn’t have had such a successful pump-start, had it not been for John Walsh’s book.

3 Likes

Sounds more like food poisoning or a bug, DKA is a very serious life threatening condition that needs emergency medical intervention so you probably wouldn’t get better on your own- have a read of the following

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-complications/diabetic-ketoacidosis.ht

Dafont Showbox Adam4adam

Time of Insulin Action. In pumps, it’s the setting that tells the pump how long an insulin dose takes to clear your body. In the 670G particularly, its the setting that has the most control over how aggressively the pump behaves in automode.

1 Like

From what I’ve read, the 670 never gets aggressive enough. Do you agree or disagree with that statement?

1 Like

No bug, no food poisoning…all ruled out in ER. My body was behaving, like I said, like a kind of epileptic seizure but I remained conscious. The ET in the ambulance kept me conscious by constantly asking questions even though my body just wanted to go to sleep. Unless there is some really serious physical ailment going on with me, am fairly confident it was DKA-ish. My biggest issue remains that my healthcare system is unresponsive to me and what is happening with my glucose levels, which, given my good history, are bizarre. I completely re-did my basals last evening, slept well, no incidences in the night, woke up with a good reading for breakfast, ate 15g of carbs, and a few hours later I was at 300. With a small amount of insulin on board, I went ahead and injected 3 units, am now ready to test again to see where I’m at. Mostly, I want to go screaming off into the dark night. Trying really hard not to yell at people for no reason… ;0)