Do any of my fellow PWD's also suffer from Syncope?

Over the last few years, I have begun to experience episodes of Syncope. I just had my third one recently. I am wondering if anyone else goes through this as we are at a loss as to a cause other than “it is something that happens sometimes”. It seems completely unrelated to BG’s but possibly related to hydration in my case. Would appreciate hearing from anyone else who may be going through this.

1 Like

syncope is like suddenly fainting, but not losing consciousness, right? I’d like to know more too, I’ve heard of this happening to a PWD.

You do actually lose consciousness. Not at all pleasant and I am hoping to find away to avoid this in the future. I don’t know that it is related to diabetes, but I am looking for as much information as I can get.

This may be a symptom of complex autonomic neuropathy, something to which diabetics are sometimes subject.

I haven’t had this before but I found this article, not saying it is true or false. It just may give you and your Dr. a couple of other ideas to look into. I hope it’s not serious for you.

I don’t see the article you are referring to.

Do any of my fellow PWD’s also suffer from Syncope?

Yes, yes, also yes. Went and had a heart echo study done last year to see if it was cardiac related, but nope. Does seem to track with heat and exercise, so possibly hydration is a factor though I’ve had it happen when I thought I’d been having plenty of water. Basically like “vagal faint”–a.k.a., “standing up to fast”–only not occurring in that circumstance. Feels a bit like a hypo coming on, except without my BG being low. Just had one this afternoon and my BG was actually a little high (150-ish), so that wasn’t it. Don’t really know if it’s T1 related or not, though you tend to assume that out of habit, since so much else is…

Sorry Dave, I forgot to post the link.

Thanks Terrie. This article was extremely helpful.

In those of us with long-term diabetes, syncope may be a complication. I’ve seen suggestions that the vertigo and fainting is due to damage to the autonomic nerves that adjust our blood vessels when we change positions (such as getting out of bed) are slow and respond poorly. hat means that standing suddenly leads to a drop in blood pressure in our head and we may faint. The major nerve that controls this is the vagus nerve which is responsible for a number of other autonomic behavior. So it may also be true that if you have something like gastroparesis you are at markedly higher risk of syncope.

I’ve seen other members report syncope here. One way of managing it is to adjust your behavior. When you get up in the morning, don’t just stand up. Instead, move to a sitting position for a few minutes and let you body adjust, then stand up and just stand still until you feel well, then walk. Do the same thing when moving from a lying or sitting position.

ps. And this may be the end of your days on those aggressive roller coasters. Sorry.

Thanks Brian, I do follow your out of bed procedure. This one hit me on a “red eye” flight from Seattle to Houston at 4:30 in the morning. Woke me up to knock me out. We had been waiting in the airport all day and I probably didn’t drink enoug water or move around enough. Caused quite a stir on the plane.