Do emotions really play into your bg #s?

So… I just have to rant…

I work in a doctor’s office – when I had gotten in to open up the clinic, the person that usually comes in at 830am didn’t show… typically when this person shows up, I take a fast break so that I can check my bg, take insulin, and then have a quick breakfast (which usually involves a cup of skim milk and cherrios, a total of 33g of carbs, which I can down in less than 3 minutes).

When this person didn’t show up, I had to put up a sign saying “will be back in 5 minutes” – I checked my bg and it was at 375! I hurried over to where my supervisor was to let her know and had asked if I can sit out in the back to give myself correction and to eat a little (since I was starving – typically I wouldn’t have eaten since my sugar was so high already, but I figured my liver will not stop dumping sugars into my bloodstream until I can stop the hunger). She gave me the go ahead and watched the counter for me.

The charge nurse comes in and starts questioning me as to why i was out in back – I told her what was going on and she told me she didn’t believe me and am trying to get attention (now mind you, I am open about my Diabetes, make a long story short, at my last job they didn’t know I was diabetic and I was hospitalized twice, until I told my manager what really was going on with me). She said that I should go out and exercise (ok, obviously she doesn’t know what she’s talking about and she’s the charge nurse, sheesh!)-- THEN proceeded to go on about if I haven’t eaten and hadnt taken my insulin then my bg #s shouldn’t be that high – mind you her husband is a T2, and I understand that with T2’s (as I was miss diagnosed as T2 in 2009), that is the case – I was SUPER frustrated… and of course got all worked up, checked my bg #s again after 15 minutes of administering insulin, it went up 10 points!!

I’ve heard everything can affect bg #s, but I never thought my emotions would play a big part in it (although now that I think about it, I suppose it does) – my ex-endocrinoloogist would tell me from time to time that it’s because it’s “…those diabetics who didn’t know how to handle their stressors that leads them to gorge on foods under the “no-no” categories, which would cause high bg #s.” I’ve sinced moved on to getting a new endo (since my old one was a nut, and was helping me none), but haven’t gotten the courage to ask my new one about emotions playing a part of bg #s

I think I might have posted a similar question back in 2009, when I was first diagnosed…

Anyway, for those who are more experienced and knowledgable, please enlighten me!!!

And, yes, I snapped at the charge nurse (just because A. I wasn’t feeling well and B. She seriously hit a nerve), and just ended up going back to the front counter and sitting next to my supervisor (she thought what happened was funny and told me to let it go)… it had taken me at least 72 hours to get my sugar close to normal after that day…

-_-

Ok, done with my ranting!

i dont know if i qualify as “experienced” but i believe mood plays a huge roll in how your body behaves…you liver will push out extra glucose under stress because thats all it know what to do,also metabolism and insulin sensitivity will change…stress makes my numbers do crazy stuff…hope this helps…

Thanks Tee Juan Dee, that definitely helps =)

i’m pretty new to this too…

I have a 12 year old and am constantly engaged in various arguments, sometimes heated, generally about nothing, with her and they invariably raise my BG. It doesn’t always make clinical sense. I wouldn’t eat if my BG was 375. A lot of times, I’ll take the CB and walk the dog or something like that to find a different pace. I haven’t ever gotten anyone too much up in my grill about my BG like that though. That would suck. One time I ate a cookie and my boss and his boss’s ■■■’t were like “you are eating a cookie?” and I was like “I’m going to run 5 miles in about an hour so that’s about right…mmm, white chocolate…”.

Yes emotions play apart in my diabetes. When I am stressed forget about normal numbers, I can correct all day it will stay put. It doesnt happen everytime but when I feel tension in my back I know my numbers will reflect. I think it has to do with when your stress your hormones are embalanced which causes the spike, not a doctor so dont quote me on that…Do you normally eat Cheerios? Because that could be the cause. I found I can not eat regular Cheerios unless I want to fight high numbers for the next couple of hours. Multi-grain Cheerios however do not have an affect on my numbers at all, well no more than any other whole grain food. Process foods are the worst for my BG…

Oh, I get the ignorant comments all the time at the clinic…and unfortunately, these are from healthcare
(-_-) professionals – so talk about a stressor at work!! I get everything from, “why are you eating that?!” to “you’re testing again?” and my favorite, “insulin? BUT you’re SOOOOO yooouuunnnggg!”

LOL – I get a lot of flack for eating candy, but little do they know it’s sugar-free, and I do count it into my carb intake for the day. Mind you, after eating 15g of Hershey’s Sugar-Free Carmel Cream Chocolates, my bg#s are still in the 100-115 range.

I suppose the clinic I work at is where you will find the largest Diabetic Police population – I get that they care, but I can’t help & wonder if they even know what they are saying sometimes… eesh

Emotions play a HUGE part! Stress alone can send my blood sugar up by 200 points easily! When I was still in undergraduate classes my endocrinologist used to be able to spot the day exams began and ended from my blood sugar records just because all the readings would be high. Told me not to get so stressed out … easier said than done!

She was right to let it go. Remember that some people are just plain stupid…sorry to be so blunt. After 25 years and 7 months as a Type1, I can say with 100% certainty that a BIG yes to emotions and stress can make blood sugars go whacky. Stress will make my sugars go up faster than eating something with high carbs almost every single time. I am on a pump and a CGMS and I can just watch the blood sugars climb up and of course through testing as well. Ask your new doctor, but then again your new doctor should be telling you that without you even asking. By that I mean when my sugars are out of line one of the first things my doctor asks is “how is your stress level lately?” Good luck!.

i hear the sooooo young thing all the time…i say i’m T1 and they look back confused.especially since i was just diagnosed…but this doesnt come from healthcare pro’s.thats kinda scary!

Yes, I normally eat Cheerios for breakfast, it’s usually 3/4 Cup, and I measure it out (I actually measure it at home, put in a baggie, and bring it with me to work), then purchase the skim milk in the cafe. Usually after my breakfast, my sugar is between 120 and 145, so not too bad.

I find that if I skip a meal or don’t take my medication on time, then my bg #s can be unusually high and can take all day to correct. However, with this situation, it was more of a miss communication as to who was coming in at what time, when I should have treated myself, and not letting my emotions get the best of me…

Tell me about it!!! LOL

Half the time, when I do test and bolus, Im in the back office and all the residents come running in to actually watch me do the “deed!” I seriously find it hilarious since I get so many questions about it, but sometimes, I just shake my head and tell them that I was chosen, not the other way around

Rye made a good point. Cheerios, the plain variety can spike a lot of peoples blood sugars. Try eating a cereal with at least 5 grams of fiber per serving. One of the cereals I eat is All Bran and it has 10 grams of fiber per serving. Just be careful not to overeat the high fiber cereals or you will have other problems :slight_smile:

ah, ok I will definitely try All Bran – I’ve heard good things about it

yes… it’s funny that you mention about school and high bg #s – I’m back in school and I can actually point out which days I am getting ready for any exam… ((nodding)) I am realizing the trend!

Amy - no not at all blunt – I like it when people tell me how it is, at least that cuts out the sugar coating (HA! No pun intended) and gets to the point. Hmm… she hasn’t really asked about my stress or work… every time I see my endo, it’s usually “how are you feeling”

Rissa, then best to be honest with her about your stress level. If she does not tell you that it does effect your sugars. well, time for a new Endo again. Work, stress, hormones, anything going on in your life will effect your blood sugars one way or another. That is one of the reasons it can be so hard to control our blood sugars sometimes and also why every diabetic is different. We all react differently if we did not treating Diabetics/diabetes would be sooooo much easier.

Aha – yes this is true… I will def talk to her when I see her at the end of the month about the stressors in my life… thanks Amy! =)

Your welcome and good luck at your appointment! Let me know how it goes.

Well, everyone is clearly behind the idea that stress can cause huge effects on your blood sugar. But it is not just your blood sugar, those hormones from stress have broad ranging effects on your body. And there are lots of studies that show that highly stressed people are sicker and die younger.

The really hard thing to do is to manage stress in our lives. Many of us feel like our day is a constant struggle against an ongoing health crisis and that is on top of all the regular stuff. But what we really need to do is just calm down, accept certain things about our situation that we cannot change, keep in mind what is important and sometimes just say “let it go.” So I don’t worry about work as much, I do my best, if I am late to a meeting, then I’ll deal with it. If my kids are messing up, giving me lip, failing a class, I just don’t let it get me all worked up. I would like to think that as I have gotten older I have gotten better at managing stress. But I still try to work on it.

Sometimes the most important thing in a whole day is the rest we take between two deep breaths.