Do Most Diabetics Have Hypothyroidism?

Dr. Richard Bernstein has made a series of videos, available on YouTube. Video session #41 involves hypothyroidism. I have not heard that most people with diabetes have this problem. I don’t, how about you?? Here is his statement, and the video.
“How many diabetics are affected by hypothyroidism? Almost all. Is the standard test sufficient? No. What are the symptoms? Find out in this very important video.”

3 Likes

Very informative video! I am T1 for 53 years and have had Hoshimotos Thyroiditis for the last 18 years.
Currently I take Levothyroxine and suffer no issues😊

• List item

I was tested for it a while back–heck, probably 20 years at this point–and came up negative. Where does this “almost all” come from?

I don’t know where the ‘almost all’ came from, but I have not listened to the video yet. Most of the replies on Facebook from both T1 and T2 people say that they DO have hypothyroidism.

My docs (I’ve been through a few lately…) always seem a bit disappointed when my thyroid produces normal standard thyroid panels.

I don’t and nether does my brother, we a both certified T1’s…although we are both always low on D and this makes us a little sluggish…My Mom suffers from hypothyroidism but she’s not a T1 and nor was our Dad.

When you were tested, did they check TSH, FREE T3 and Free T4

1 Like

My Doc tests me for hypo with some regularity. She, also, seems confounded and disappointed by the negative results. I’ll ask her about the test.

I tested positive for hypothyroidism a few years after my T1D diagnosis. I don’t know what the statistics are but I’ve always thought that since T1D is an autoimmune disease, it makes sense that other autoimmune diseases are more likely to occur.

(Knocking on wood as I type this) I do not have hypothyroidism. @Terry4, I do have some other autoimmune related stuff, like eczema and mild asthma, but overall, nothing too severe.

I have one thyroid lobe (not nodules, though I have those as well) significantly smaller than the other. I questioned the doc about this having a connection with possible hypothyroidism, and she replied no.
I’m suspicious of her answer.

My Doc checks all 3, mid range on all 3. Guess I’m in the 3% (knocking on wood, “YogaO”).

My advice is to always get copies of your lab results. Doctors often fail to order more than just TSH. An enlarged thyroid with nodules may indicate Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis which may or may not impact your thyroid results. Ask for a thyroid antibodies test.

3 Likes

I very much agree with Cyclinglady.

I was told my levels were not low enough to treat. But after running an antibody test, it was clear I had Hashimoto’s.

I have Hashi’s (20 years). At diagnosis, I had a few small nodules and enlargement (nothing too large). Fifteen years into my diagnosis, I had thyroid swings (hypo to hyper). Those resolved along with my nodules and enlargement when I was treated for celiac disease. My thyroid is permanently damaged and I continue with thyroid replacement, but I think that calming down my autoimmune response (reducing inflammation) has been the key to my improved health. Let’s hope this prevents a LADA diagnosis!

1 Like

So far I haven’t tested positive for this, my endo checks thyroid levels each blood work but didn’t want to test for antibodies. I want the antibody test and I will ask again or ask my gp next time I go there. Maybe there is a way to prevent it. My grandfather had Graves disease so I’m at risk for that too, he had no type 1 or any diabetes as far as we know. I do have thyroid symptoms such as palpitations and sweating etc. My cardiologist thought it’s an endocrine issue.

Mine is not enlarged…just that one side is normal size, while the other side is significantly smaller.

I happen to be male, T1, and was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 5 years after my T1 diagnosis (at age… 19?)

I have the impression that hypothyroidism is more common in women, and much more common in women with T1. One reference says that 30% of women with T1, have hypothyroidism: http://journal.diabetes.org/clinicaldiabetes/v18n12000/pg38.htm

Incidentally, I have seen a fair amount of thryoid hormone marketing/educational material sent to endos, and universally all the “sales pitches” are based around women patients. All of them!

my docs test my thyroid levels regularly, since i have antibodies against my thyroid. so far i dont need to take anything, i have slightly elevated TRH but the levels my thyroid produces are still normal.
from what i know i could end up with a non functioning thyroid down the road, but this could be tomorrow or in 50 years or not at all. and since there is not way to prevent it (just like with T1) @meee there is nothing to do for me…

1 Like

I still want the antibody test. I want to know because as we speak there is someone somewhere in the world trying to figure out a way to prevent it or treat it better and so on. If you know hopefully you can be better prepared to start treating if needed rather than waiting for a crisis to occur.

1 Like