Do you believe a cure for diabetes will ever be found?

for years they are already saying they they almost have a cure and nothing

Of course, Dave. I certainly didn’t mean to make light of the disease, but its side effects, and certainly death from it, is not a given like it is from cancer…that’s all I’m saying.

On the other hand, diabetes is the only disease I can think of where the patient bears so much responsibility for the side effects or outcome and, even when we do absolutely everything possible to manage it well, we are still sometimes blamed for a poor outcome.

Ask me in 5 years…

death from cancer isn’t a given, any longer. One could die from so many other causes while having cancer. There have been some strides in cancer treatment that keep people alive for decades. And I didn’t think YOU took diabetes lightly. :slight_smile:

Thanks Dave. I don’t take cancer lightly either, having survived two different kinds. My Mom also survived 8 1/2 years with metastatic breast cancer. But there are still some cancers for which there is no cure and not even good managment (liver and kidney come to mind).

Anyway…I think we both agree on whether or not a cure for D will be found, and that it is not a one-size-fits-all disease. Maybe some types might be cured, but probably not in my lifetime.

Yes because of people like Massimmo Trucco at the University of Pittsburgh and Denise Faustman. They won’t take no for an answer. It is their goals in life to cure this disease.

Goals are not always met. So just because they might be stubborn, that gives me zero encouragement to look forward to a “cure” any time soon. That would be folly.

Two football teams fight very hard to win games. There is only one winner…

You should look them up. They are doing good work. Better than most.

be that as it may(and I will look them up), just because they are determined, they aren’t guaranteed to succeed.

my eyes glaze over when I see “islet transplantation”. I’ve lost count of how many years I’ve heard of that research. Its right up there with moving sidewalks and flying cars.

GAPS diet then?

One type one, Jason Turner, has been in essence cured with double islet cell implantation and he has been off insulin for nearly 10 years I think. He has to take anti- rejection drugs.

If not a cure, I certainly hope there will be some better form of treatments in order to have a better life not burdened by constant bg management and all that it entails.

Yes. The notion that treatment is more profitable than a cure does not hold water. The company that first comes up with a cure will be swimming in money and push out the competition. Pretty much every T1 will want it. In particular, parents of T1 children will storm their offices and throw money at them. Governments too will want this, because cures are so much better for their healthcare systems than treatments. Likewise, private health insurances will heavily push for cures because it would be cheaper for them.

Also, a cure of Hepatitis C has been found, further demonstrating how big pharma does do cure R&D.

Before any “true” T1 cure comes out though I expect “smart insulin” (also known as “glucose responsive insulin”) to appear. The idea is old: Encase in or bind insulin molecules to something that renders them inert. This extra compound is glucose responsive. In the presence of elevated glucose concentrations, the compound loses its bond, and the insulin floats now freely in the bloodstream, beginning its action. Low BG would cause more of these bonds to remain in place, so there would be less free insulin in the blood.

This would reduce T1 management to 1 fixed-dose shot daily, or perhaps even less. It would effectively be something like a “pharmacological closed-loop”, but would be better than any closed loop system could ever hope to be, because it would work without any electricity, infusions, etc. and still achieve keep perfect BG control, because the insulin would already be in the bloodstream, just in a locked state.

Now this would be a cashcow that would make the Lantus profits look like pocket change. Only a true cure could possibly top earnings that would come from such a smart insulin. So you can bet that the Big Three have ongoing R&D programs to be the first to bring smart insulin to market. Which would not be a true cure, but a functional one. I mean, hey, one fixed-dose shot daily, and no more hypers or hypos, no more carb counting, no more complicated BG control when exercising, no more rollercoasters etc.? Easy sell.

I like the idea of that method. It almost sounds doable. :slight_smile:

From what I remember reading, several such glucose responsive compounds have been developed or are in development. The tricky part is to make sure that the bond is released only because of glucose, and not because of any other substance, otherwise you risk massive hypos.

Five years!

Well, someday. But having a cure is just the start. Will everyone be eligible? How much will it cost (I expect very very much $$$$ considering the revenue flow it’s going to supplant) and who will be able to afford it or be covered for it. I doubt I’ll get it even if it comes along in my lifetime.

Much too lucrative to find a cure.

And if a cure is found, it will be hidden from the public.

Wow, have I become cynical. Sorry. Big bucks seem to be the only thing that matters these days.

This comment is so NOT me. Guess my brain has too much sugar on it at the moment. I am usually so optimistic.

Yup … I was also diagnosed in 1986. They were less optimistic and told me there would be a cure within 10 years. But, they also told me that all complications happen around 10 years. They’ve been telling me the same thing ever since.

I just met, last week, the top guys in the world trying to find a cure and I feel really hopeful. Read this thread: JDRF - Cambridge, MA Lab Tours - A cure is near

I answered No, but what I really want to say is “Not within our lifetime”. There are many medical conditions that we have cures for that we would never have imagined a couple hundred years ago. But I do believe that many of the technologies that we use as diabetics will improve, including the insulin, CGM (accuracy, reliability, need for calibration, lifespan, maybe even something like an implant), insulin pumps, possibly devices that detect what we eat for better boluses, and many other things. To sum it up, I believe we will always need treatment, but that treatment will definitely become easier and simpler.