Do You Have a Diabetic Foot Treatment Question?

This isn’t a question specifically about a foot problem, but its a question about whirlpool tanks.

During track season, I am prone to shin splints. The most common way our athletic trainer treats them is by putting your whole leg below the knee into a cold whirlpool tank.

Is it safe for a diabetic to dip their whole leg into near freezing water for an extended period of time? Or do I have any potential circulation problems that should keep me away from it? If it is potentially dangerous, would ice bags be safer?

Back in 2005, I developed an ulcer on my foot from what started as dry cracked skin. I did what I was supposed to do and called my doctor on day one, but it still got infected & turned into osteomyelitis. I also picked up MRSA while in the hospital. In 2006, I started traveling to a larger city (Pittsburgh) to see better doctors. They removed part of my heel bone & did a bone graft with AlloMatrix. I also underwent hyperbaric oxygen treatments to get it closed. The whole ordeal from start to finish was 2 years.

I have a lot of pain in my foot from the bone graft. The doctor that did the surgery said that normally, he would open it up & shave the bone done - I have a big lump in the bottom of my foot that he called a “prominent boney mass.” He said he did not want to do that surgery on me because of what it took to get it closed. The doctor I see now says that I should get it fixed. I am really frustrated with the pain, but not sure I want to put myself thru that again to get it fixed. This doctor has cut a hole in my orthotics to help relieve some of the pressure on the bone and that helps, but I still have some pretty bad days with it.

If I went thru with the surgery, would that necessarily make the pain go away? The AlloMatrix will still be there, they would only remove the part that shifted.

I am 58, have type 1 which I was diagnosed with 5 years ago at. I use an insulin pump and have good control (HbA1c 5.6%)As far as I know I have no neuropathic symptoms.
I run several miles regularly, normally up to 10km but have run the odd marathon, including one since diagnosis. I hope to be running in the London marathon next year so I’m beginning to raise my mileage again.
I’m quite slow (5 hour marathon) so when my training gets above 8 or 9 miles it means I’m a long time on my feet and tend to develop blisters, particularly if the weather is hot or wet
I have used hydrocolloid type plasters but like all these things they warn not to use them if diabetc, I also find vaseline helps prevent friction but I do remember a podiatrist in my early diabetic education course suggesting that diabetics should’t use it.
What is the safest form of treatment and best means of prevention?
(I know I should really should ask these questions of my doctor but I live in France and sometimes there is a language problem and none of her other patients run marathons! so thankyou for this opportunity)

I received 2nd degree chemical burns to my little toe, the toe next to it and my ankle 4 days ago. I was seen by a Physicians Assistant, and given advice, but no meds. There are no signs of infection at present.

The total area is just barely larger than 1 square inch, with the little toe being the worst area. It has a large blister covering the entire top and left side. The biggest blister popped less than 12 hours after the injury. My questions:

The blisters continue to fill with fluid after four days. Is this normal? The largest is split and exposed tissue under the old blister is showing. Should this be bandaged? What symptoms should I look for regarding infection? Obviously I’ll watch for reddening. Is pain a sign of infection? The split blister is painful, but is additional or worsening pain an indication of infection?

The Admin Team has just added a Group for foot discussions.

http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/sweetfeet

ok, I have very very mild nueropathy (it’s reversing itself as it was caught properly early and my levels are now under control woohoo!) buuuut here’s the thing: I see that you said a diabetic should never treat their own feet - well, last time I went to the podiatrist they gave me a skin file, I questioned it and they said it was ok so long as I didn’t go overboard. I mean, I actually have excellent feeling in my feet and so know if it’s getting a tad painful.

Also, on my heel I have these odd blisters that seem to be full of like a watery type substance, very itchy! My doctor has no idea what it is but prescribed betnovate, it goes for a while but then boom, itchy heels and blisters back. Should I be worried about it. Currently I don’t have them, but the skin on my heel is slightly thickened from said blisters. I don’t like them very much :frowning:

Callous development is a result of shearing stresses between the foot and the shoe, therefore you must have some friction which must be avoided

Chiropodial or podiatrial treatments must be done with sterile instruments so I believe you should see a state registered chiropodist or podiatrist who obviously keeps his instrument sterile and his clinical environment is clean.

Hi
Hammertoes do not develop as a result of diabetes, it is usually a mechanical development.
Nail Fungus can be treated in two ways: orally with medication or locally with very few options. In any case you must be medically fit for the oral treatment or very persistent with the local treatment.
We’ll b happy to assist you in our clinic
Daniel

I swim twice a day and since starting, my callouses on both feet are gone naturally. so spend 2 hours a day in the pool :wink: i suppose soaking feet would work as well?

I’m T1 for 3 years, good control, no neuropathy. Someone stepped on my large toe of my left foot and ripped off about 1/3 of the nail about 2 months ago. I’ve been watching it and making sure that the nail doesn’t grow into the skin so I don’t get an ingrown toe nail. I can put my fingernail between the toenail and the skin, so its not ingrown as far as I can tell. There is no redness, swelling or any other sign of problems, but I do get a bit of pain every once in a while (maybe every other day), which started about 2 weeks ago. Definitely have some discomfort if I wear shoes, almost none when I wear sandals. Should I go to a doctor? Or is a little bit of discomfort normal during the process of nail regrowth?

Hmmmm Maybe. I do have a foot spa I don’t use enough. :slight_smile:

I have a wart on the side of my foot that has been there for a long time, at least 6 years. It doesn’t hurt and its not getting bigger or smaller. The only problem is that it looks horrible. I was thinking about having it removed. Is it to risky to get it removed? I am in good control of my blood sugar with an A1C of 6.6.

Hey, we’re “sick” right? perfect excuse to pamper ourselves!

Hello Doctor Weisz:

You are a brave, brave man!!! Thank you for this thread and your extraordinary interest…

Type 1 diabetic 40 years +/-. As a karate practitioner, and teacher of it for the last 25, or a Hatha Yoga practitioner (both activities done typically barefoot) what is the silly fear about the decent callouses on my feet by most doctors?

I have no nerve damage, Im not ancient/venerable in age (43 yo) so what’s the silly fuss always about? I recently switched to wearing water shoes to prevent getting plantar warts as the floors though clean are rarely cleaned correctly it appears. Regardless, the decent callouses on my feet remain…

What should I be concerned about exactly because of that issue prey tell??? Am I being somehow naive?

Stuart

It takes 6 months for a new nail to grow, I suggest you see a podiatrist ASAP, so you get the best treatment.

For any person I do not understand why you have on your body something which is excess.
As my dad was a karate teacher, I know you practice barefoot, nevertheless you don’t develop callous unless there is a problem or someone is neglecting…
Callosities may crack and any skin breach may lead to infections etc. And I believe you understand what the outcome may be.
Think again, and begin treating your feet
Good luck

Callus is a natural protective mechanism in the body. I exercise aggressively and my body responds. I get callus on my feet and on my hands. Some of the callus may well be malformed and due to gait problems, poor foot wear and other issues, but heavy use of the feet and hands naturally leads to callus formation. I don’t necessarily look at callous as “excess,” but I do know that heavy callus can lead to problems. If you have ever had a torn callus, you know what I mean.

Hi, i am glad to hear you are doing exercise and aware of your health.
neverheless, if u r developing callous you r probably have shearing streee in your feet - the feet are rubbing in to your shoes and incorrectly overweight bearing
so u need good prthotics and goos shoes - this will prevent them from occuring.
in the meantime continue rubbing (not razzoring) and put some foot cream on too
good luck

we’ll b happy to b friends