Do you have celiac? Introduce yourself!

@acquafortis. Well, more info that you probably already have is that rye and barley have the same kind of gluten as wheat. Some oats are also problematic, although Bob’s Red Mill has gluten free oats and oat flour, and oats grown in Ireland are gluten free. I can’t eat corn either, so I also do my own baking. Time consuming, but I throw in healthy fruit and berries and call it all dessert.

@Trudy2 like the last part…“call it all dessert”.
I love the smell of the bread baking…it makes it so home.

I don’t know if I’m in the right place to ask this, but I will start here. My profile pic is of my beautiful little girl, Mikki. She just turned 3. She’s had type 1 D. for a year. Due to some stomach issues (constipation/then Miralax treatment and then soft stools) she had a blood test for Celiac. She tested positive (a 15) and the diabetic dietician here had her start a gluten free diet which we’ve been on for about 2 weeks. Her blood sugars are much much better. We got a call from our pediatric endocronologist after he saw the labwork and he wants to do a biopsy becuase he didn’t think the bloodwork results were very conclusive. I hate the thought of having to put her back on gluten foods now that her sugars have stabalized. Any comments?

We made cheddar garlic biscuits and regular biscuits using gluten free bisquick and my 3 year old type 1 daugher loved them, I know bread isn’t best all the time but since it was Thanksgiving we let her have bread.

Hi Mikki’s Mama, Have you seen a gastroenterologist yet? They might be able to help you decide on the biopsy or not. When my son was diagnosed his tTg IgA number was 186 (normal is 0-19). We opted to not do the biopsy due to it being awfully clear that there was an issue. After 6 months gluten free it had only come down to 29 and after 12 months, 13. If your child’s is 15 (which I understood is in normal range??) I might consider further testing before starting a gluten free diet for long. After 2 weeks, she should definitely still have damage that could be detected in tests now.
Good job on the gluten free biscuits. We always do bread, even if it’s not Thanksgiving :slight_smile: Try Udi’s Gluten Free Multi-Grain… So yummy!!

I know people with very low to no Gluten Antibody whose BG has improved a great deal on GF diet. What we know about Celiac is changing, and there are times when a positive response to GF diet is the most reliable evidence of Celiac . . . even when nothing is found on a Biopsy . . . Just the same, it seems better to me to check things out with a GI Doc . . . and then make an informed decision.

We see her Pediatric endocronologist on Tues and he may refer to a GI, we have to drive 3 hours to see one. I am just confused, as far as the dietician was concerned she had it, but the ped. endo got a copy of lab & is not convinced I guess. I started GF diet cuz I was told to, hesitant to take her off now that BG’s are under control. She will have to eat gluten to have biopsy. I am just so anxious for Tues. appoint & I just need to vent since I can’t do anything or make any decisions right now. Thanks!!

I can appreciate your confusion and desire to do what is best for your daughter. My personal experience was one of “suspicion” of gluten sensitivity with antibody testing that was extremely low . . . And my Endo reassured me that there was no need for trial of a GF diet. Several years later, at the recommendation of a dietitian/friend who specializes in Food Sensitivities, I tried a GF diet and found that gluten was indeed contributing to a great deal of Blood Glucose fluctuation. Since discontinuation of gluten my A1C has come down from “struggling to maintain” at 7.5 to 8.0, to an average maintenance of 5.8 to 6.5. My Endo now recommends trial of a GF diet, following negative antibody tests, when there is clinical evidence suggesting a patient may have gluten sensitivity! I am, of course, much older than your daughter, and unfamiliar with recommendations for children. It would be difficult knowing that you are making a decision that will impact her life in so many ways. On the upside, if indeed she is gluten intolerant, she will feel SO much better on a GF diet that it more than makes up for the loss. I’d say, be open to the recommendations of your Doctor . . . and then follow your inner wisdom and your heart . . . you know your daughter better than anyone else!

Mikki’s Mama I agree with Leilani’s last post.
Sometimes gluten-free or for some only wheat free can help loss weight, control blood glucose and have more energy to live with even if there are low or negative antibodies results.
I found it out with trail and error.

I try to maintain a wheat-free diet. Tested negative for the antibodies, but allergy testing showed a sensitivity to wheat, but also to corn and rice, so gluten free products don’t usually work. I find that when I eat wheat, I have joint pain. right now, my knee is stiff and sore because I was traveling and didn’t stick with my diet. Not sure if BG is affected but I think it is improved since I am into my 4th year with LADA and still not insulin dependent. I bake with almond flour, buckwheat, oat and tapioca flour.

In addition to Gluten sensitivity, I have a LONG list of other foods I react to, and I am sensitive to eggs, guar gum, and xanthan gum. Any suggestions on products that work in a similar manner as these binders, that could help with texture as well? I think experimenting with Tapioca may be helpful?

That sounds like a difficult problem… Gelatin–or agar agar, which might not work as well as gelatin–could help in some baking, like bread. Tapioca flour, potato starch, and arrowroot flour work well as thickeners. Maybe you were thinking of using something like mini tapioca pearls? Might work–if you experiment some, let us know how it works out.

Gelatin is out for me as well . . . but had not considered agar agar . . . will check into that. And I was thinking of the Tapioca Flour as it can function as a binder given its gelatinous characteristics . . . but I don’t know much about its texture in baking! I pretty much eat whole grains . . . and have not as yet come up with a good bread /cracker alternative.

Hi Leilani. Karina on the site, http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/ has multiple allergies/sensitivities (so do I), and has a lot of recipes using alternate ingredients. I know she uses an Egg Replacer that might work for you. You might find some useful ideas there. My local health food store has both agar agar and Egg Replacer (which comes in a box like flour).

Thanks Aunt Jane, for your kindness and thoughtfulness . . . and you have already given me some ideas to try!

I have visited both of the Celiac websites you mention multiple times . . . and quite honestly I would be tickled pink if Celiac was the primary concern in my diet. Most of my food sensitivities relate to a very severe Latex Allergy and foods with proteins that are similar to Latex that cause cross reactivity . . . which includes most plant based foods that have the elastic quality of natural rubber latex . . . and most foods that grow on trees! Sulfa is used in the processing of natural rubber latex, and I have long had allergic reactions to sulfa . . . so I think the sensitivities may be related. Even more daunting is my sensitivity to Sodium Sulfite, Potassium Nitrate, and Polysorbate 80 . . . which occur naturally in many foods and are used as preservatives in EVERYTHING . . . without need for listing on food labels unless exceeds “allowable” amount. It would seem that Egg Replace could work for me . . . but if the Potato starch has Sodium Sulfite to keep it “white” then I cannot use it (and dehydrated/frozen potato products are amongst the absolute worst for that!). So . . . I have to add only ONE ingredient at a time to see if I react . . . and then it is hard to know if it is the food or an exposure to Latex which is EVERYWHERE . . . or perfumes, or any number of other air born pollutants that I react to.

It is much simpler to eat what I know has worked in the past . . . but can get tiresome!

What I do now seems to be working . . . and is sometimes best to leave well enough alone!

Hi all
I have a 7yr old daughter who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes March 2010. Just recently found out she tested positive for celiac. I am looking for support from others. Any info you can give is much appreciated :slight_smile: Thanks in advance!

Leilani - I have a problem with sulfites and Polysorbate 80. I buy pasture raised meat with no nitrates. Cascadian Farms used to have frozen french fries without sulfites.

Jenny, I never had any known Celiac symptoms, but I since two of my dds responded to a gf diet, I decided to get the genetic testing done 12/2008. In 1/2009, I started developing signs of diabetes which were dismissed by my Endo since I had normal fasting glucose. I pulled my genetic tests, and the DQ2 gene is implicated in both diabetes and celiac. Sure enough, I had four times the GAD antibodies. I follow Dr. Berstein for the diabetes, so I don’t eat gluten anyway.

Hi Jenny. There is some info on the group Gluten Free Diabetics and earlier comments on this group. If your daughter takes a lunch to school, I would suggest trying Pamela’s Bread Mix. Pamela’s Baking and Pancake Mix is also very versatile. I understand the carb problem, but I’d think a little good baking products would be O.K. For a cake that is good and not too carb laden, I like Gluten Free Pantry’s Spice Cake & Gingerbread Mix. These are so commonly liked that they are available in a lot of grocery stores as well as health food stores.

Hi Leilani & Sheila Fitz. I don’t know if you’ve checked out Enjoy Life cookies; they are about a allergen free as one can find in already baked cookies.

My celiac blood panel in April 2009 didn’t indicate celiac (although my TTG wasn’t negative), and my internal med doctor said I didn’t have celiac but to try going gf. I did and almost instantly started to feel better. A couple months ago I had the genetic test and it came back DQ2.5/DQ8. My doctor now agrees I do have it. He doesn’t think a biopsy is necessary for me, but I know with children they want to be really sure about putting them on a gf diet.