Do you have celiac? Introduce yourself!

Thanks for the cookie info, but I’m diabetic and don’t eat cookies, etc.

Hi Jenny! I know how overwhelming this can seem at first. My three year old has had type 1 for a year and tested positive for Celiac about a 3 weeks ago. She’s adjusted very well to a gluten free diet and my other kids haven’t noticed anything missing in our meals. If I can be of any help let me know, I know we are both at the beginning of our journey with this.

I have had IDDM (insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus) for 36 years–since age 10. I found out I have celiac disease in May of this year and at first I was so disappointed, upset, angry, and even sad. It was difficult in the beginning but I feel that with as much information as my brain can handle, and a lot of good gluten-free products available, I am doing just fine. I don’t feel like I’m missing out any more.
For Thanksgiving, I went to our local gluten-free store and bought rolls, pumpkin pie, and gluten-free bread cubes to make my own stuffing with. The stuffing didn’t work very well, but the other foods were delicious!
I think they take online orders if anybody is interested. The name of the bakery is Charlotte’s. Website is www.charlottesbakery.com

When it comes to cooking I am wondering what seasonings do people with celiac trust? I am lost w/out chili powder, cumin, & garlic powder. I know McCormick’s are gluten free but as every company they can’t guarantee contamination. Just wondering what other people do. Thanks!

Does anyone have any tricks for eating lower carb when you are a T1 (3.3.1993) and celiac(1.11.2001)? All the GF alternatives are so high carb that I have been staying away from most bread/pasta products in general…which kinda sucks. Any ideas?

I use a lot of whole grains rather than the gluten free processed food products . . . as they are whole foods which are highly nutritious, have the added benefits of fiber and protein, and do not tend to contribute to weight gain.

There is an incredible amount of information, recipes, links, etc., on the http://gluten-free-blog.blogspot.com/ site. Not everything there is diabetes friendly or low carb, but the links take you to all the functioning celiac blogs/recipes. Good luck.

There is quinoa, but although quinoa is higher in protein, it does not fit in with my low carb diabetes plan. If you are celiac, you cannot use whole grains without incurring damage. If you are Celiac, you cannot just limit your intake of gluten. Adherence to a strict gluten free diet is an absolute requirement because Celiac is not just inconvenient. I brings along a host of damaging consequences aside from the GI problems that are commonly referred to, even by doctors. Any google search on Celiac will tell you the same.

I have posted this before, but again… The best book I’ve ever read on this subject is “Celiac Disease, A Hidden Epidemic,” by Peter H. R. Green, M.D., available at Amazon.com. Dr. Green is the director of the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia Univ.

If you have the time and like to experiment a bit, you can make good high-fiber baked goods using the alternative grains, such as teff, sorghum, buckwheat, brown rice, etc. These can fit into a healthy diet containing a lot of protein, veggies and fruits. Since I have a number of allergies besides gluten, I do bake so as not to deprive myself of everything on earth due to Celiac and Diabetes.

Rocket, there are some low carb gluten free bread and pasta products available, if you are interested. Miracle Noodles have hardly any carbs, and can be used in almost all recipes very easily. They are available online at www.miraclenoodle.com. Udi’s Gluten Free Bread has 22 grams carbs for 2 slices and is delicious. If there is a dietician at your local grocery store you can check with them for some other suggestions that are available locally.

I use almond flour to make lower carb baked goods that are gluten free. Check out Elana’s Pantry which is a wonderful blog. Elana has a great cookbook too. She is completely gluten free, but not diabetic.

Grains that contain gliadin gluten which is harmful to people with Celiac include: Wheat, Spelt, Barley, and Rye. Grains that have proteins that are considered safe for people with Celiac include: Rice, Buckwheat, Quinoa, Amaranth, Millet, Sorghum, Teff, and Oats that are specially grown and processed. For more definitive information on grains that are safe for consumption go to the Celiac Sprue Association Website at http://www.csaceliacs.org/gluten_grains.php

For information and research that supports the benefit of Whole Food Vegan Diets for people with diabetes (Including the use of whole grains) check out the PCRM website: http://www.pcrm.org/health/diabetes/

Hey Rocket- re: eating lower carb while celiacs, some of my favorites are:
spaghetti squash (great pasta replacement) also, they make tofu noodles now too, which is awesome
beans are great- in soups, salads, etc. also there are some great recipes for making veggie-burgers homemade out of them
making flat breads and crackers in a dehydrator with nuts and seeds is my absolute favorite!
I eat almost entirely grain free these days, and I hardly miss it at all…

LeeAnne, Can you tell us more about making flat breads and crackers . . . What ingredients do you generally use other than the seeds and nuts? I have soooo many other sensitivities beyond gluten that I have not as yet been able to develop a good cracker/bread substitute.

Hey Leilani (and anyone else who is interested)- I use a lot of different veggies and nuts and seeds- I have a ton of food intolerance issues, too! (That is part of how I got into this-) so my simplest recipe is as follows:

-2 cups sunflower seeds (I soak them in water for 2-4 hours before blending them to make it easier on the blender)
-1 cup ground flax seed (again, if you don’t have a good blender, you can buy it already ground)
-5-6 cloves of garlic
-2 tablespoons bragg’s liquid aminos (if you don’t have bragg’s you can add some salt and italian herbs, or really any kind of herbs)
-1-2 cups water

okay, so you just blend this all together- except for the flax seed, and then pour in a bowl and add the ground flax seed, stir really well until you get a really thick consistency- after you add the flax seed, let it sit for a few minutes (i usually wash the blender and get the trays ready) because some magic happens with the flax seed while it sits- and it will get thicker- you want it to be almost dough like- somewhere between cake batter and cookie dough is what you are going for-

then spread batter flat on a dehydrator tray and place in a dehydrator for 8-12 hours at 105 degrees

If you don’t have a dehydrator, put your oven on the lowest possible setting (usually around 220), and spread on a cookie sheet with parchment paper on it- leave the over door cracked open if you can and check on it every 2 hours or so (i have never made crackers this way, but most people say they are done in about 4 hours…

you can totally mix it up with the recipes- the less time it is in the oven/ dehydrator the more like bread it will be, the more time it is in, the harder it gets, more like a cracker consistency- also the thinner you spread it, the more like a cracker it will be, the thicker, the more like bread- there are a lot of great raw bread recipes out there- I will try to post some more here soon! but you can use nuts instead of seed (i find seeds that are soaked to be easier on my digestion as opposed to nuts, i also soak my nuts first too, to make them easier to digest- also they sell “almond flour” at places like whole food and trader joe’s which is basically ground almonds- which is great to use if you don’t have the best blender-) I always use flax seeds, in a 2:1 ratio with whatever else I am using because I feel like it holds the whole thing together better-

some of my favorite things to add are: onions (dont use water if you do that, just throw the onions in the blender first), sun dried tomatoes (chopped up or soaked and thrown in the blender), olives, and all different spices- ill post some actual recipes soon! :slight_smile:
Lee Anne

Very interesting . . . and something I will definitely try! Unfortunately I am unable to use some of the seasonings (including onions and garlic which are perhaps my biggest ouch) but I am good with the sunflower seeds and flax seed . . . so many of the GF products use guar or xanthan gum and or eggs . . . which I cannot use. Most nuts are out for me as well, but almonds are good. I have considered trying something with sunflower seeds but as the proteins in nuts seem to change with roasting I have been hesitant. What you say about soaking them makes sense though . . . and the dehydration or low temp backing should work.

Have you tried the use of Chia Seeds? They sound like a potential replacement for egg?

As for concern over CHO content . . . I have the opposite problem of trying to eat enough to maintain adequate weight . . . but my weight has improved with elimination of more foods I was reacting to . . . and I feel soooo much better . . . like my body is finally getting what it needs.

Onion and garlic? yikes, Leilani, that sucks! I thought I had it bad when tomatoes and peppers went out the window for me- (btw, tomatoes and basil are great ways to give the bread/ crackers some flavor. I also like advocado, paprika, and cumin and lime) I have never used chia seeds, I always use flax as an egg replacer because I can’t do eggs, either, but I will have to check that out- thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile:

I had the same problem for a bit, with not gaining any weight because my body wasn’t absorbing any food…
Fortunately, I have put weight back on (maybe a little too much!)- and I mainly eat green veggies, fruit, seeds, some nuts, and tofu/tempeh- way too many food intolerances to even list here- but I highly recommend checking out some raw food websites- I eat about 80-90% raw, and for me, it works really well because it just eliminated so many things I was reacting to, and so many cross contamination issues…
(ps- I cannot eat nuts that are roasted, at all, something crazy happens to them… it took me a week to recover from an incident with a 16 oz can of cashews I gobbled down a few weeks ago… lol… cooked nuts are like my kryptonite…)

My challenges seem to have developed in suite of a Latex Allergy that developed following multiple oral/facial surgeries following an auto accident. Things interconnect in strange ways when you step back and look. I react to most fruits . . . veges are much better but not all . . . and Avocados are deadly for me!

Do you know of any precipitating cause for your sensitivities, and how did you go about determining what was good and what was not?

Soy and most legumes are out for me as well

does anyone know if MULTIDEXTROSE an ingredient to avoid on the cilias diet???