Do you have LADA? Introduce yourself here!

Amazingly enough, the DCCT was one of the studies that demonstrated that tight control preserves remnant beta cells in people with Type 1 diabetes. Bernard Zinman, one of the DCCT researchers, said that all of the DCCT study subjects who had adult-onset Type 1 diabetes had measureable c-peptide. Those who were in the tight control group had much better preservation of beta cell function versus those in the not-tight-control group.

I do believe controlling our bg as much to normal as possible is the best thing we can all do.. and I hope it is preserving what I have left... I went on a low carb diet in late June I think after figuring out there was no other way to control my bg close to the normal range.

sorry I haven't been on in a long time! My life has been a real mess for quite some time.

... glad you're back, Amy! I hope you're doing better. Diabetes is a never-ending management challenge ....

Hi Amy; great to see you again and I hope things are on the upswing for you!

Thank you guys! I know I've been inactive for my own group for a while! My life just has been insane, crazy & frustrating. Now that I am on unpaid medical leave, I can focus on the group again.

Hi Everyone! Just wanted to let you know that I just posted a new blog on autoantibody testing for Type 1a/LADA diabetes. I welcome your input on the blog and hope it is useful for people.

Melitta, I think this is a great idea. From time to time, I'll run into a person that I think is really LADA and will scribble your name on a piece of paper, and tell them to do a search. This is a much better idea. Would you believe my hip-hop teacher recently told me that she was a diabetic, a Type 2. When I started to talk about the connection to Celiac, she exclaimed that *she* was a Celiac. I live in an Irish community in the Chicago area. The stats on the Irish aren't good. I suspect my own brother is not a Type 2, but he can't hear what I am saying.

Hi folks! I'm Pebbles from OKC and I've been type 1 since 2007. But I'm not a typical type 1 diabetic, I am overweight, started on pills at first and very insulin sensitive. My official diagnosis is LADA. I'm working with an Endocrinologist so I can qualify for a pump. Thanks for a website like this!

Welcome, Pebbles! I hope you get the pump. I have been on a pump for 15 years, and really appreciate it for so many reasons.

I just wrote another blog on misdiagnosis of adult-onset Type 1 diabetes, this time in response to a JAMA article. Check it out if you are interested, and I welcome input.

These misdiagnoses occur with alarming frequency!!

Okay, I know that this is not quite the place to mention this (this being the LADA group), but I just posted a blog about acute-onset Type 1 diabetes in adults. Here is a link to my newest blog. I welcome comments!

If you want a fun way to learn about this problem, check out The Sweet Lowdown on YouTube. It's a play based on my experiences being misdiagnosed T2 before learning I was LADA. The Sweet Lowdown premiered this past fall at Broom Street Theater and was funded in part by a grant from DHF Seeds. http://youtu.be/BsJWSKtRO0A

Hi Mary. I do know about this problem, but watching your play was fun. Cheers!

Love your play, Mary! Glad that DHF Seeds provided some funding.

I am still here :)... mostly being in the background reading the discussions :)...I am happy to see the group grow and learn from each other :)

Good to see you, Amy!

Hello All,
Just went through a year of treatment, mistakenly diagnosed as type 2 last August, but in May, after insisting my doctor take a second look, we did the GAD65 and Cpeptide and discovered I was actually LADA. My Cpeptide is still in the normal-low range, but I am sure that it will accelerate over time. My GAD65 was bad. So..hello, to all. I have a younger brother with another autoimmune disease.