Do You Pre-Bolus/Bolus for a Meal/Snack When Your CGM Shows an Up or Down Direction Arrow

It all depends on what I’m doing. If I’m at home relaxing, I’ll correct around 65 or lower. If I’m out shopping, which always makes me low, I will have a little snack (5-8 carbs) around 70 or 75. If I’m around 80 and have IOB or a down arrow I might have a little snack (again, 5-8 carbs). I like to micro-manage things to prevent lows at all.

If I’m below 80 right before bed, I will have a legit snack, maybe 15 - 20 carbs and bolus for it. I will just take less insulin. I usually have half of a PB sandwich, something that will stay with me for a while.

I agree with you wholly! I can be a little correction happy. For me, it’s easier to think in terms of goals. I have number goals for pre-meal, 2 hour post meal, and 4 hour post meal. That pretty much covers my entire day of BG numbers in nice, neat (maybe a little OCD) package.

That’s the right approach - nothing set in stone and an eye to what’s ahead!

Been doing the same thing since getting the CGM – despite being told my Dr. Ponder’s co-author to “go get a different book” (as in one written for T2Ds…) Micro-corrections in both directions have worked well for me.

2 Likes