Do you...?

i don’t no. idk where i even put the stuff to do it lol i should prolly find it to. xD but no i don’t

LOL I was just going to say I didn’t even know how to do it. Hubby said thats what those drops are for, but never how to use them. or when. :smiley: Didn’t know you were supposed to do it when you opened a new vial of strips.

Just the first time…about 10 years ago.

Only once when I was cleaning out a basket of old diabetes junk and came across a bottle of it. Tried it out just for fun. It was long since expired.

:slight_smile:

No, infact I never run it, is that very bad?
I feel like the flipping things are $$$ enough they better the heck work!

I have a bad habit of retesting 3 or 4 times in a row to get a number I’m actually happy with.

Ha ha ha ha ha

Ouch!!! But good to know!!!

I love all the previous posts!!!
I took the hint that it was useless when I asked at my second endo appointment how to use the stuff and the endo his assistant the nurse who’s son and sister are type 1 and the cde were all like ummmm… The CDE finally said you are suppose to use it with every vial most people dont.
I figure I sacrifice enough Error #5 not enough blood …strips to make up for control solution.

Wait… Aren’t we the control solution!!!

I’ve done it exactly once, about 2 years ago, because I was low at the time and thought that my BG might go up if I did a control. Of course, the control solution had expired 12 years before (not even sure it was for the same meter) (don’t know why I kept the control solution, but, then, again, I have a relative who moved a jar of pickles with an expiration date in 1978 when she moved homes in the late 1990s, so perhaps it is genetic).

I did in the begining,but not now.
Figure why watse a strip for that.
Also You have to buy the darn stuff now,so like ,who’s going to do that.
Sincerely,
Linda

Yes, I do… but I try to use the open one first until it “expires”

I probably can count on my 10 fingers ( ? ) …they are caloussed from over 20 years of poking ( got my first glucometer in 1986 ( ?) …how often I have done the control test.I do update my type of glucometers .

Yes, even though it means I effectively only have 49 strips per vial :frowning: Unfortunately the local CVS does not stock the control solution, so every time I need more (because the open one has expired) they have to special order it for me.

According to Therasense, we’re supposed to run control tests every time the strips go somewhere warm/hot or cool/cold to make sure they’re still OK to use… that far, I won’t do unless the numbers are wayyyyyyyy off.

Relieved to know I’m in good company! Never use control solution. I think it’s just a way to get us to use even more strips.

It’d be nice if insurance companies paid for control solution bottles, but mine wouldn’t think of it. I never have enough strips, so control solution bottles are way out there!

I use it only very occasionally, with a brand new meter or if I get a reading totally out of whack with how I am feeling, I have never paid anything for the control solution. I have called the customer service # in the manual for the meter and they send me some free. I have received a few freebees calling the customer service # such as a new lancing device, a new case for the meter after a lot of use. I was switched to the Novolog flexpen last Sept and called Novo Nordisk to ask if they had a carrying case for the flexpen. They will send you one free of charge. It is a navy blue canvas material and opens with places that hold two flexpens and a place to put some needles and alcohol swabs. It has velcro to close the area for that stuff and velcro to close the entire thing. I saw a friend who had one that was a hard case in leather or alligator skin. Probably some $$$, so thought let me see if the insulin manufacturer has any good deals. Sure was a good deal, free and no postage. Just use the noggin and get some nice things. I had some white things floating around in the insulin of my second penfill, I called Novo and they wanted it returned and told me to take back to the pharmacy where I got it. Novo called the Kroger pharmacy to tell them they would be send them a box of 5 penfills and a return mailer for Krogers to send the one I bring in back to them. KInda neat that they gave me 5 for returning 1 and Novo finally sent me a letter to tell me that somehow I got some of my blood in the penfill.
The next chapter of the story is a new endo got me off the Novolog a little over 2 weeks ago by adding metaformin to the actos and glimepiride I was already on. Thus, so far the three oral med and Lantus has been enough for me. Nobody had tried that. I didnt miss the pre-meal injections, just keep my fingers crossed that it holds out. The endo saw that I was getting a lot of reading in the 50-70 range so told me that Novolog may not be needed. It this works out, he is one to recommend!!

nope, i’ve only done this maybe 5 times in the 16 years of being diabetic. if even that…probably only if my doctor or my mom made me! i’ve forgotten to switch the code a few times too, but the numbers are always the same when i re-check. i say it’s just a conspiracy to make us waste test strips with all the solutions and codes!

nope…i do maybe once every 20 bottles…strips cost too much and I use so many that I can’t stand to waste them!

Nope, I only ever do it if i think somthing might be wrong with my meter.